Greenville, NC

Guest graduate student

I'm returning to Canada from Japan for a masters, and I've been accepted at McGill, which was my top choice. Unfortunately, while I am billingual, neither of those languages is French. I was in French immersion up until grade 5, then was homeschooled for about 3 years, then took Japanese as my second language requirement in high school. My French is super rusty, though I can read and understand it pretty well. I've been crash coursing myself with DuoLingo and it's coming back slowly but surely, though I have serious doubts about it being at a working proficiency by September.

How have Anglophone McGill/Concordia/Montreal/etc University students found living and working in Montreal? I feel like I'll manage enough French to get by in daily life, but I'm more worried about finding work. I'm very much willing to learn, but will employers be willing to take me on even if I'm not fluent? I'm fairly fluent in Japanese, and I'm not sure what the Japanese scene is like in Montreal. Are there any employment possibilities for billingual speakers of Asian languages in areas like tourism and such? I used to live in Vancouver where lots of Asian tourists come so speaking an Asian language was always an asset, but Montreal is a whole other world for me.

Any advice or personal experiences would be super appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/9/2017 at 1:36 AM, victoriaaa said:

I'm returning to Canada from Japan for a masters, and I've been accepted at McGill, which was my top choice. Unfortunately, while I am billingual, neither of those languages is French. I was in French immersion up until grade 5, then was homeschooled for about 3 years, then took Japanese as my second language requirement in high school. My French is super rusty, though I can read and understand it pretty well. I've been crash coursing myself with DuoLingo and it's coming back slowly but surely, though I have serious doubts about it being at a working proficiency by September.

How have Anglophone McGill/Concordia/Montreal/etc University students found living and working in Montreal? I feel like I'll manage enough French to get by in daily life, but I'm more worried about finding work. I'm very much willing to learn, but will employers be willing to take me on even if I'm not fluent? I'm fairly fluent in Japanese, and I'm not sure what the Japanese scene is like in Montreal. Are there any employment possibilities for billingual speakers of Asian languages in areas like tourism and such? I used to live in Vancouver where lots of Asian tourists come so speaking an Asian language was always an asset, but Montreal is a whole other world for me.

You'll be fine. If you are working at McGill you will likely forget at time that you are in a French Province. Most people are bilingual. People, both Anglo and Franco-phone appreciate that you try to learn French. It is the sort of expected default language, but not necessary and almost everyone will give you a pass if you are foreign. 

On 2017-02-08 at 10:36 PM, victoriaaa said:

@victoriaaa, I've spent several weekends in Montreal and although French is the primary Language used in Quebec, most people in Montreal can speak English, at least a bit. I have found that the further you move away from Montreal, the more likely you are to encounter people who cannot speak English. With respect to finding employment, I'm sure you'll be able to find employment on campus or downtown without much issue. Cheers

Edited by joelcollard6

On ‎2017‎年‎2‎月‎21‎日 at 4:46 AM, Pahi said:

I have just been accepted to McGill's PhD program and although I'm still waiting on other offers, I'm quite certain that I will end up in McGill. Looking into renting options etc. Where do people ususally look? Craigslist? Kijiji? Thanks :)

If you don't mind sharing, I've found some nice looking places for affordable prices on easyroommate.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 25 février 2017 at 5:50 PM, joelcollard6 said:

@victoriaaa, I've spent several weekends in Montreal and although French is the primary Language used in Quebec, most people in Montreal can speak English, at least a bit. I have found that the further you move away from Montreal, the more likely you are to encounter people who cannot speak English. With respect to finding employment, I'm sure you'll be able to find employment on campus or downtown without much issue. Cheers

I guess it depends. In social work, we've been told many times that students who have no or limited knowledge of French would really struggle to find a field placement and a job in Montreal/Quebec. Maybe it's just the nature of the work (helping relationship). I would say, if you are willing to learn French, do it, you've got nothing to lose, but I would say that learning French would definetly be a plus if you want to remain in Quebec. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I have been admitted to McGill, also waiting for other offers but most likely will go to McGill. I applied to graduate student housing. I don't know if that is guaranteed .... Should I also be looking elsewhere for housing? I will also move in summer probably in August. thanks!

Hey everyone!

I got into MScPH @ McGill.  Looking for roommate(s)+apartments, I want to move sometime in August.  

I'm from US (cleveland).  I'm just barely able to understand French (6+ classes but no in-situ practice), eager to learn though.  Used to being in foreign environment so down to live in any part of the city as long as its walking distance to transit.  Not trying to pay more than 500$, hoping for 300-400 since it may take a second to find a part time gig.  Am I being unrealistic?  

I was thinking of moving out as well (I attend McGill) but all across the board, I was told that graduate housing is not worth it, that it would be more profitable for you to just have a regular appartement in the city.