Greenville, NC

Guest graduate student

Hey, I've lived in Montreal for 6 years (from Ottawa originally). Can't give you the views from Americans, but Montreal is a pretty bilingual city especially if you stay in the downtown area or go further west towards Concordia and Westmount. The plateau is also English-friendly (east of McGill). Housing is not bad in Montreal. You can find amazing deals if you look a little farther than downtown (for example, I have a huge, beautiful 3 1/2 for super cheap, because it is 20 minutes on the metro or bus from downtown). Montreal is also a very safe city. Actually most of the problems I have heard of were from the student ghetto or other areas around residences (like the extra undergrad housing at Lionel-Groulx metro), because people know that certain students who walk around with their laptops in hand and their iphones out in the middle of the night are easy prey. For real though, really low crime rate. I have only heard of about 3 incidents in my 6 years here.

The closer you stay to McGill the more expensive and shitty the housing. That said, I have a friend living in a beautiful but pricey apartment up the hill on Peel right now, which is near the MNI. For finding housing, most people in Montreal use craigslist as far as I know. It's helpful if you already know someone here, because often the best apartments are found through friends.

In terms of where we hang out, well... Thompson House is nice. Their menu has greatly improved and it's a fun place to have a beer and hang out with other grad students. I don't really know where neuroscience students hang out specifically, since I'm in music (but my dad's a neuroscientist at Ottawa U!). The plateau is a pretty cool place to be, although housing prices there are rising.

Sorry for the small essay. I hope something in there helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi kristinarap,

It sounds like I am in a similar position as you admissions-wise; probably going to accept McGill's offer for next fall.

At risk of offending some by straying from the topic of Montreal city life, do you mind my asking how good/bad your McGill financial aid package is? That is basically what I'm evaluating right now--whether mine is acceptable or I want to reapply to schools elsewhere a year from now. Not sure whether this is dependent on discipline, but my McGill department is expecting me to pay full tuition (as an 'international' student from the US) for all 4-5 years of study. They are giving me a solid living stipend though. I still have another 4 schools in the US to hear from, hopefully in the weeks ahead....

cheers!

Hi kristinarap,

It sounds like I am in a similar position as you admissions-wise; probably going to accept McGill's offer for next fall.

At risk of offending some by straying from the topic of Montreal city life, do you mind my asking how good/bad your McGill financial aid package is? That is basically what I'm evaluating right now--whether mine is acceptable or I want to reapply to schools elsewhere a year from now. Not sure whether this is dependent on discipline, but my McGill department is expecting me to pay full tuition (as an 'international' student from the US) for all 4-5 years of study. They are giving me a solid living stipend though. I still have another 4 schools in the US to hear from, hopefully in the weeks ahead....

cheers!

Hi there! I would imagine the financial packages vary slightly based on the program. For me, my potential advisor has offered to pay the remainder of what the Neuro dept does not cover for tuition. Additionally, there is a small stipend (~17,500$/yr). I was also awarded a recruitment bonus, so that helps. It is also my understanding that scholarships and grants are potentially easier to get than the US, although often for less money. That might be something to look into as well? Best of luck!

Hello,

I have got an admit for the Msc (thesis) program in Bioresource Engg.(Fall 12)- no funding though.. :| So i will be on a tight budget .

Could anyone please tell me something about the MacDonald Campus ? (the living expenses, housing options etc .) I'm from India ..so i have absolutely no idea regarding this matter.

Unless i get an admit with funding from other universities , I will most probably be heading for McGill .

Thank you

• 1 month later...

@kristinarap, are you or anybody going to Neuroscience through IPN (Inter-disciplinary Program of Neuroscience) at McGill?

Hope it will be a different experience in both the campus and in Montreal as I'm neither Canadian nor American...............

I would be attending McGill, Montreal for my masters this fall (2012). Is there anyone out there who can tell me about living in Montreal ? I want to know about the living costs, housing etc as I'd be registering as an international student. I'm really looking for some advice on housing and want to know about my options around city close enough to the campus. I hear Montreal is cheaper than other North American cities, I hope that's true. Thanks in advance.

Housing is indeed inexpensive in Montreal. Many McGill students choose to live in the 'ghetto,' which is close to campus but not great value-wise -- and also crawling with 1st and 2nd yr undergrads. I'd highly recommend the plateau/Mont Royal area, which is within walking distance of the school but also close to amenities like grocers, bakeries, cheap-but-good restaurants etc. I moved cross-coastally and took an apartment sight-unseen. It worked out for me, but if you're in the market for something really budget, beware!

• 1 month later...

hi there!

I am heading to Concordia in the autumn and I currently live in Europe. I have heard that July 1st is national moving day and I am considering doing a quick trip over in June to find an apartment but I would like to avoid the costs of extra travel if I can. I have heard a variety of information about whether it might be possible to find something in July if I head over then. Any advice?

Thanks,

Sarah

• 8 months later...

Those of you who got accepted to ECU ... on the banner application system, where do you look to see if they post an acceptance, etc?  Do they post status online, or do you just have to wait to receive info via postal mail or email?  According to the ECU website, supposedly they do have interviews for my program, but who knows if they actually do them or if they are just optional... anyway, any info you guys and gals could provide would be great!! Thanks in advance! 

Just got accepted to ECU's MA program. I have a wife and mother-in-law who will need to move with me due to the job market in St. Louis' collapse. How is the job market in Greenville? I'm from St. Louis and they're both from Raleigh, but have been in St. Louis for the last 15 years.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if someone can give me a bit of advice about where to live.  I have no interest in living in a building crowded with noisy and partying undergraduates.  I have a cat- and I do not mind driving if it is safer to live outside the city.  Crime seems pretty high right around campus. So should I rule living near there out?  Other than the previous advice to not rent beyond third street- I am wondering if that means north/south/east or west of it?

Is it possible to park on campus? I read some of the rules about securing a parking permit and parking in the commuter section- but it looks pretty small.  So this is important if I want to live not within walking distance. Any advice would be great,

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if someone can give me a bit of advice about where to live.  I have no interest in living in a building crowded with noisy and partying undergraduates.  I have a cat- and I do not mind driving if it is safer to live outside the city.  Crime seems pretty high right around campus. So should I rule living near there out?  Other than the previous advice to not rent beyond third street- I am wondering if that means north/south/east or west of it?

Is it possible to park on campus? I read some of the rules about securing a parking permit and parking in the commuter section- but it looks pretty small.  So this is important if I want to live not within walking distance. Any advice would be great,

Thanks!

Look up Wilson Acres and Tar River Estates off of first street. My hubby used to. Live there. It is nice! A dog park at Tar River Estates, very quiet community, pool, etc. good prices too.

If you look up Wainright Property management... Be warned, many of their properties look like good deals until you go to check out the neighborhood, which looks sketchy. My favorites are Allenton Estates and Rownetree Woods, closer to the west side of Greenville (near health sciences campus). It is worth it to go and drive around G'ville during the day to visit apartments if you have the opportunity.

It really depends on whether your grad program is on main campus or on health sciences camous on where to rent. There are some private landlords with single family homes near campus that are pretty nice, but the homes are very close together and of will find more undergrads there.

• 10 months later...

I've been looking at places to live for next year in Greenville, just got accepted to grad school there and got a really good vibe from Meridian Park off its website. Just hoping someone has any info on this particular complex as it looks really nice and affordable. If anyone could help me out that'd be great!

So I'm 90% sure I'll be heading to Mcgill fall 2014 through the master's with IPN. Anyone else in the same boat of attending graduate school here soon if not for the same program?

I'm surprised this thread has been dead for so long. Do all of these tips still apply today? It looks like rent is not as cheap as it used to be, understandably, but I feel like I might not be looking hard enough for good deals perhaps. My project takes place at the Douglas, so I've also considered living in Verdun, but I'm not sure if I'll be missing out on the Montreal experience if I do. Thoughts?

Thanks!

coffeesleep, if you haven't already seen it, the thread linked below seems to have more recent information about living in Montreal:

I'm also probably moving to Montreal in the summer to attend Concordia for a film PhD. Lots of research to do, but I like learning about cities. Feel free to be in touch to chat more.

Oh thanks for the link, I guess I didn't think to check other subforums. thank you and congrats :) I'm still not sure when I'm supposed to move, might also be the summer as opposed to september.

Edited by coffeesleep

Hey Coffeesleep,

Congrats on your acceptance!  Here's a link to another forum that you may find helpful:

I'm also starting school at McGill in the fall, but I'm planning to move as soon as I get all of my immigration approvals (I'm shooting for a May or June move). I'm really looking forward to spending the summer exploring and enjoying Montreal before school starts. Also, my French is a LITTLE rusty, so I am in dire need of immersion.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for funding decisions, but assuming the chips fall where I expect them to, I'm heading to Montreal. My understanding is that new students should get settled at or prior to Moving Day (July 1st), as housing becomes more difficult to nail down after that. But that date looms so near... Would have to expedite certain things to make that timeline happen for me. 

Yeah, I'm still waiting for funding decisions, but assuming the chips fall where I expect them to, I'm heading to Montreal. My understanding is that new students should get settled at or prior to Moving Day (July 1st), as housing becomes more difficult to nail down after that. But that date looms so near... Would have to expedite certain things to make that timeline happen for me. 

Same here. I've expedited my passport renewal, but I can't apply for my CAQ and study permit until I get my funding package. McGill just started their winter study break and my POI is away, so I have to wait at least another week until he gets back.

Thanks for the tip about moving day...I knew about it, but I didn't consider how hard finding housing would be after that. It's gonna be tough, but I'm going to try my best to hit my May 1st-June 1st goal of moving.  For now, I'm just researching the different areas and trying to decide where I want to look for a place.

Same here. I've expedited my passport renewal, but I can't apply for my CAQ and study permit until I get my funding package. McGill just started their winter study break and my POI is away, so I have to wait at least another week until he gets back.

Thanks for the tip about moving day...I knew about it, but I didn't consider how hard finding housing would be after that. It's gonna be tough, but I'm going to try my best to hit my May 1st-June 1st goal of moving.  For now, I'm just researching the different areas and trying to decide where I want to look for a place.

I'm fortunate in that I'll get a lot of face to face time with my faculty during a conference I'm attending later this month. Should be able to clear things up, ask about moving, tips for settling in, etc. Feel free to be in touch through PM if you want to combine powers aimed at researching housing options in Montreal.

Lol don't worry, my french is also tres terrible, so I'm hoping to brush up over the summer. I managed to order a coffee in French succesfully once, so that's a step I hope.

Though, I'm also unsure if I'll be heading over in September or sometime in June/July to start early in the lab, but it does feel like it's coming up real soon though if it's the latter! I keep hearing how amazing it'll be being there for the summer though. 

Same here, Coffee...I hear the summers there are fantastic.  I just really want to be settled before school starts.  I can't think clearly if my surroundings are out of order. 

Starting a doctoral program, at a new school, in a new Country, is stressful enough without having to worry about finding a place to live, furnishing it, and acquiring a second language all at the same time.  I want to have a little time to take it all in and enjoy it all.