MPH 2020 Canada

Jill98

On 4/12/2020 at 3:09 AM, SamuelSR said:

First they said April1, now 15th and another person in the forum mentioned april 20th. We cant lose other offers waiting on one univ. I how the univ people understand it too. 

Hey SamuelSR, I hear you! It's frustrating on our end to have pending decisions. However, it's a super stressful time for everyone involved. Keep in mind, they do want to give decisions to applicants - universities are technically businesses. This would be high-stress time for them normally; hundreds if not thousands, of applications to rummage through to pick the best of the best. However, the current situation in the world with remote working is a new challenge for them. We are stressed on the receiving end but imagine a group of people trying to come to a collaborative decision for an applicant via digital software? That would be extra stressful! Plus we never know what is going on behind the scenes! It's a tough situation for all involved. Keep perspective and remind yourself why you applied to these programs in the first place. We are blessed to just have the opportunity to be eligible to apply to such reputable programs.

Here is my outlook: If I don't get in, it wasn't meant to happen at this moment. I say follow your heart and what you want out of life - do you just want MPH after your name or does it mean something to come from one school? Your education tells a story - do you want to excite people or do you want to say "I did it because I didn't know what else to do?" 

Keep positive in this stressful time, friends! I wish you all good luck on your admission and best of luck on the rest of your journey!

29 minutes ago, mmtw said:

Hey SamuelSR, I hear you! It's frustrating on our end to have pending decisions. However, it's a super stressful time for everyone involved. Keep in mind, they do want to give decisions to applicants - universities are technically businesses. This would be high-stress time for them normally; hundreds if not thousands, of applications to rummage through to pick the best of the best. However, the current situation in the world with remote working is a new challenge for them. We are stressed on the receiving end but imagine a group of people trying to come to a collaborative decision for an applicant via digital software? That would be extra stressful! Plus we never know what is going on behind the scenes! It's a tough situation for all involved. Keep perspective and remind yourself why you applied to these programs in the first place. We are blessed to just have the opportunity to be eligible to apply to such reputable programs.

Here is my outlook: If I don't get in, it wasn't meant to happen at this moment. I say follow your heart and what you want out of life - do you just want MPH after your name or does it mean something to come from one school? Your education tells a story - do you want to excite people or do you want to say "I did it because I didn't know what else to do?" 

Keep positive in this stressful time, friends! I wish you all good luck on your admission and best of luck on the rest of your journey!

Your words bring positive vibes! Thank You. 

1 hour ago, Anxiouscat said:

Just received an acceptance from western but will be declining as I already accepted Guelph’s. Hope someone on here will hear from them soon ?

Awesome! I accepted Guelph's offer pretty much after driving around the campus and falling in love with it lol... Did you guys just accepted online and that's it? Or do we have to do some extra steps? Thank you!

1 hour ago, Mtz.O said:

Awesome! I accepted Guelph's offer pretty much after driving around the campus and falling in love with it lol... Did you guys just accepted online and that's it? Or do we have to do some extra steps? Thank you!

Aw nice! I’m coming from Alberta and I really wanted to see the campus so I tried watching YouTube videos hahah they weren’t that helpful but I got a glimpse at least.

I accepted the offer online and my requirement for my conditional offer was to send them my transcripts. I did that ASAP but I forgot their physical offices were closed. So I sent them an email asking how they would know when they’ve received it, but they can’t confirm until their offices open back up. Unless the institution that sent it to them has a tracking number which I still have to inquire about. So I think for now the only thing you need to do are the requirements of your conditional offer (if it’s conditional).

Edited by Anxiouscat

14 hours ago, Anxiouscat said:

Just received an acceptance from western but will be declining as I already accepted Guelph’s. Hope someone on here will hear from them soon ?

hey hii congrats for guelph acceptance can i I know when you got acceptance letter

On 4/9/2020 at 10:45 PM, Anxiouscat said:

I've been reaching out to current Guelph MPH students and ive received nothing but positive feedback! They said that the program offers a lot of flexibility in the electives so you can choose ones that will suit your interests. I also read someone's blog that said the focus on human health is not lacking, I will link it here: 

https://phspot.ca/mph-options/

If you have other worries I do suggest to reach out to current students who have similar interests.

hi good to hear from your acceptance from guelph. could you share your as i have also applied for mph in U of G 

4 hours ago, software said:

hey hii congrats for guelph acceptance can i I know when you got acceptance letter

I received my letter on March 25th

4 hours ago, software said:

hi good to hear from your acceptance from guelph. could you share your as i have also applied for mph in U of G 

i shared it a few weeks ago here

16 hours ago, Anxiouscat said:

Aw nice! I’m coming from Alberta and I really wanted to see the campus so I tried watching YouTube videos hahah they weren’t that helpful but I got a glimpse at least.

I accepted the offer online and my requirement for my conditional offer was to send them my transcripts. I did that ASAP but I forgot their physical offices were closed. So I sent them an email asking how they would know when they’ve received it, but they can’t confirm until their offices open back up. Unless the institution that sent it to them has a tracking number which I still have to inquire about. So I think for now the only thing you need to do are the requirements of your conditional offer (if it’s conditional).

Okok! Thanks! I got the same condition, but my school offices in Mexico are closed too, so can't get them mailed until further notice ??‍♀️ so excited to meet you all tho :)

3 minutes ago, canadamph said:

I still haven't heard back from UofT for their MPH in Health Promotion and I am low-key starting to panic a little. Am I the only one who hasn't heard back yet? :( I know a couple of people on this forum received responses early last week!

I haven't received a reply either so don't know what to say

Just got an email from UBC MPH regarding their waitlist. They said due to COVID-19 they're still unsure of their Fall enrolment (ie: who will actually be able to attend, etc.) and that they will continue to keep me on the waitlist until they make a final decision. They said likely spots will open up but they're unsure as to when they will be able to deliver their firm decisions to waitlist candidates. Anybody else in the same boat?

36 minutes ago, canadamph said:

I still haven't heard back from UofT for their MPH in Health Promotion and I am low-key starting to panic a little. Am I the only one who hasn't heard back yet? :( I know a couple of people on this forum received responses early last week!

I haven't heard back either! I think a lot of people are in the same boat. I've been accepted to UBC and SFU so far, but no word from U of T yet.

Edited by mphfall2020!

39 minutes ago, canadamph said:

I still haven't heard back yet either, I check the portal like 50 times a day. I always feel like its just me experiencing this but glad to know others are still waiting and just as anxious as well. Holding out hope we get some good news soon!

2 hours ago, xttr said:

Just got an email from UBC MPH regarding their waitlist. They said due to COVID-19 they're still unsure of their Fall enrolment (ie: who will actually be able to attend, etc.) and that they will continue to keep me on the waitlist until they make a final decision. They said likely spots will open up but they're unsure as to when they will be able to deliver their firm decisions to waitlist candidates. Anybody else in the same boat?

I'm in the same boat as well! Very difficult in not knowing the timeline for when I should expect to hear back. I recently got accepted to the MSc program at UBC, and heard back from SFU recently saying that first-round offers have been sent out already and that further decisions may not be sent out until latest August. Not sure what I should do given these circumstances...

18 minutes ago, 2020mph said:

I'm in the same boat as well! Very difficult in not knowing the timeline for when I should expect to hear back. I recently got accepted to the MSc program at UBC, and heard back from SFU recently saying that first-round offers have been sent out already and that further decisions may not be sent out until latest August. Not sure what I should do given these circumstances...

What are you thinking of doing? ?

32 minutes ago, 2020mph said:

As this is a weird time for everyone, if you reach out to UBC or SFU they could give you recommendations and guidance to aid in moving forward in your decision process; this includes seeking information on contingency plans for the fall term if emergency states continue. In addition to that, you could ask SFU how long the wait-list is and how you rank on it (if they are willing to disclose that information; ask politely); it's almost like rejecting yourself to make a decision. You don't have to remove yourself from the list, but out of odds for true acceptance if you are lower on the list you might as well accept another offer? Regardless, if SFU offers you admission later you could always switch programs. Perhaps contact your current academic adviser for some third-party perspective as well! Circumstances are challenging all around but I do suggest seeking counsel from a trusted mentor.

19 minutes ago, quetoaei said:

Still waiting on UofT MPH as well.... :(

Quick question to waitlist/accepted, were you all undergrad applicants? In the workforce? 

Congrats to all on their acceptances!

I'm an undergraduate applicant still pending response from UofA. I have some experience working within the health field; I had a role in providing programs which aid in mediating future effects of various SDOH on youth populations through personal capacity building and developing perceived self-efficacy. 

MPH is a competitive degree to apply to - some applicants in the pool include medical school applicants searching for a backup plan. Some applicants are seeking further studies/thesis after an BPH; others, such as myself, are seeking to specialize in the field after a different but applicable undergrad. Others include those who have reasons to seek education in the field outside of the ones I already mentioned.

In your situation, UofT is a competitive school in general; it is even highly competitive at the undergraduate level. Don't panic and keep patient! They will get back to you. You still have lots of time to make plans :)

Edited by mmtw
Grammar

It’s April 15 and U of A said it would be sending out some offers today. I’m pretty nervous, haven’t heard of anyone getting offers for the Global Health stream yet.

I do hope we get a decision this week so that we move from this waiting phase.

Good luck to everyone waiting and congratulations to those that have received their dream offers.

1 hour ago, Titania said:

It’s April 15 and U of A said it would be sending out some offers today. I’m pretty nervous, haven’t heard of anyone getting offers for the Global Health stream yet.

I do hope we get a decision this week so that we move from this waiting phase.

Good luck to everyone waiting and congratulations to those that have received their dream offers.

Woke up to check my email and still no response LOL! AND MY PORTAL STILL SAYS PRESCREENING!