MPH 2020 Canada

Jill98

On 3/25/2020 at 9:18 PM, ar933883 said:

Received my acceptance for the UofT MPH Epi program today! Looking forward to  meeting some of you in person this fall. :)

Hi! Congratulations! I'm applying for 2021 to UofT Epi, just wondering if you could share your profile (GPA + experience), I'd appreciate it :)

Can anyone who is currently in, about to start or has completed UofT Epi please share their profile (GPA + experience) prior to applying to the program, much appreciated :) I am really interested in applying for the program for 2021 admission! 

On 4/19/2020 at 11:59 AM, Titania said:

My friends that applied to US schools got their decisions in less than two months even with this outbreak.

I don’t know why admissions from Canada are tarrying this long.

True... Canadian universities take quite long. Also, I hear that they are quite competitive and hard to get in. 

I applied to one university in Ireland and one in Australia in late January and early February and I already have an offer from both. 

For UofA, my status is still at prescreening. Lol! 

2 hours ago, SheeBella said:

True... Canadian universities take quite long. Also, I hear that they are quite competitive and hard to get in. 

I applied to one university in Ireland and one in Australia in late January and early February and I already have an offer from both. 

For UofA, my status is still at prescreening. Lol! 

Nice

Congratulations!

17 hours ago, Excel725 said:

Hi! Congratulations! I'm applying for 2021 to UofT Epi, just wondering if you could share your profile (GPA + experience), I'd appreciate it :)

Thanks!!

Got my BSc from UofT. Double major in health sciences and neuro. I think I had 3.4 gpa in my last year, but I can’t remember the exact number. I also took several upper year stats courses on top of the required courses.

I just finished my MSc in Cell Systems Bio this month (also UofT). Finished with 4.0 gpa.

Several talks at conferences, 0 public health experience, 0 publications.

Honestly, I got rejected when I first applied to the MPH. So I took an offer from another department and decided to re-apply for the MPH at some point.

1 hour ago, NovaTerra said:

Thanks!!

Got my BSc from UofT. Double major in health sciences and neuro. I think I had 3.4 gpa in my last year, but I can’t remember the exact number. I also took several upper year stats courses on top of the required courses.

I just finished my MSc in Cell Systems Bio this month (also UofT). Finished with 4.0 gpa.

Several talks at conferences, 0 public health experience, 0 publications.

Honestly, I got rejected when I first applied to the MPH. So I took an offer from another department and decided to re-apply for the MPH at some point.

Did you also submit GRE scores for UofT Epi even though it wasn't a requirement? :D Did you have any data analysis experience prior to applying? I'm assuming you have a lot of research experience having done an MSc? Lastly, do you have any advice on how to structure the letter of intent and any advice in general when I do apply for 2021? Thank you for response, appreciate it!!! Appreciate the honesty as well :D

Edited by Excel725

31 minutes ago, Excel725 said:

Did you also submit GRE scores for UofT Epi even though it wasn't a requirement? :D Did you have any data analysis experience prior to applying? I'm assuming you have a lot of research experience having done an MSc? Lastly, do you have any advice on how to structure the letter of intent and any advice in general when I do apply for 2021? Thank you for response, appreciate it!!! Appreciate the honesty as well :D

I just resubmitted my GRE scores from ~2 years ago. I can't remember my scores, but I definitely didn't do well in it. All I remember is I got >80th percentile in all sections. I know someone who got under 50th percentile in the quant section and still got in.

I have a lot of data analysis experience, but with genetic data and not population health data. I learned a lot of stuff in my MSc that are too advanced/specific to teach for the MPH program, and stuff that I will probably never use if I land a career in public health.

This is the guide I followed to write my LOI: https://www.gradschools.com/get-informed/applying-graduate-school/essay-writing/sample-letter-of-intent-for-graduate-school

Don't include an address/return address, date, header, etc. Just start with the content right away to save space. My LOI is literally just 2 full pages of paragraphs, single spaced. One advice I got from a prof is to acknowledge anything that looks bad in your transcript and say how I grew from that mistake. For me, I talked about the time when I was in academic probation due to bad grades, then I said that I improved and fixed my bad study habits (some people have flawless transcripts, so this probably doesn't apply to everyone). Also talk about the major points in your CV on the LOI.