MPH 2020 Canada

Jill98

19 hours ago, jane234 said:

Just got an admission offer for U of T epi!!

Hi! Congratulations! I'm applying for 2021 to UofT Epi, just wondering if you could share your profile (GPA + experience + who you used as references), I'd appreciate it :)

Does anyone know how u of t’s admission process work?  Do they look at the applications based on the time you submitted, like if your submit early you get the decision in the early rounds and if you submit very late, you need to wait til the end?

55 minutes ago, Ahertz said:

Does anyone know how u of t’s admission process work?  Do they look at the applications based on the time you submitted, like if your submit early you get the decision in the early rounds and if you submit very late, you need to wait til the end?

I submitted my app a day before the deadline and I got in the first round of acceptances.

I don't know exactly how it works but the admission process apparently ranks people using a round robin format, and at least 3 people will review your application. I guess that people with higher "scores" on round robin get an offer earlier?

On 4/20/2020 at 8:57 PM, NovaTerra said:

I just resubmitted my GRE scores from ~2 years ago. I can't remember my scores, but I definitely didn't do well in it. All I remember is I got >80th percentile in all sections. I know someone who got under 50th percentile in the quant section and still got in.

I have a lot of data analysis experience, but with genetic data and not population health data. I learned a lot of stuff in my MSc that are too advanced/specific to teach for the MPH program, and stuff that I will probably never use if I land a career in public health.

This is the guide I followed to write my LOI: https://www.gradschools.com/get-informed/applying-graduate-school/essay-writing/sample-letter-of-intent-for-graduate-school

Don't include an address/return address, date, header, etc. Just start with the content right away to save space. My LOI is literally just 2 full pages of paragraphs, single spaced. One advice I got from a prof is to acknowledge anything that looks bad in your transcript and say how I grew from that mistake. For me, I talked about the time when I was in academic probation due to bad grades, then I said that I improved and fixed my bad study habits (some people have flawless transcripts, so this probably doesn't apply to everyone). Also talk about the major points in your CV on the LOI.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it! Did you also mention specific research interests in epidemiology/profs whose research interests you? Also, do you think it's impossible to get into this program with around a 83% average in the final two years, but poor scores in first and second year? 

Edited by Excel725

2 hours ago, Excel725 said:

Thanks for the help, appreciate it! Did you also mention specific research interests in epidemiology/profs whose research interests you? Also, do you think it's impossible to get into this program with around a 83% average in the final two years, but poor scores in first and second year? 

I mentioned a couple profs that I’d like to work with because their research looked interesting. If I remember correctly, it was Fisman and Ann Burchell

I don’t know the average grades of all applicants but I was in academic probation for an entire year because of bad grades lol. You’ll probably competitive if you spice up your CV with research and/or public health experience. Most grad school applicants don’t actually have any research and/or work experience at all.

2 hours ago, NovaTerra said:

I mentioned a couple profs that I’d like to work with because their research looked interesting. If I remember correctly, it was Fisman and Ann Burchell

I don’t know the average grades of all applicants but I was in academic probation for an entire year because of bad grades lol. You’ll probably competitive if you spice up your CV with research and/or public health experience. Most grad school applicants don’t actually have any research and/or work experience at all.

Thank you for your reply! Do you know if they looked mainly at your undergrad GPA or that of your MSc (since you have an amazing 4.0)? Also, did you have any prior experience that relates to the research of Fisman and Ann Burchell, or was it simply because their research interests you? And have you ever taken an epidemiology course in undergrad (I haven't done so, was just wondering if that's a downfall)? Sorry for all the questions aha, I really appreciate your feedback!

Edited by Excel725

2 hours ago, Excel725 said:

Thank you for your reply! Do you know if they looked mainly at your undergrad GPA or that of your MSc (since you have an amazing 4.0)? Also, did you have any prior experience that relates to the research of Fisman and Ann Burchell, or was it simply because their research interests you? And have you ever taken an epidemiology course in undergrad (I haven't done so, was just wondering if that's a downfall)? Sorry for all the questions aha, I really appreciate your feedback!

Sorry, I don't know what they looked at or how they weighed my grades from undergrad and MSc.

I don't have any prior research that relates to Fisman and Burchell. I just found their research interesting. I've met both of them before too, and they seem like decent human beings to work with.

I took 1 intro epi course in undergrad. I can't remember the exact grade I got, but I'm sure it was below 80 ?. I took a bunch of other non-epi, health science courses though.

And no prob. This is one of the reasons why this thread was made ?

3 hours ago, Anxiouscat said:

has anyone heard from any university regarding their formatting for classes this fall?

I emailed UAlberta last week and asked specifically about the 2-week course in August as I was accepted into the online Health Promotion program. They replied saying that the course will be moved to an online format, however it hasn't been formally announced yet. UWaterloo's letter of acceptance wrote specifically that the 2-week course will be online. I haven't heard of contingency plans for any other schools, but I hope this helps! 

55 minutes ago, mphfall2020! said:

Any more news from uoft? It's really odd that they haven't sent out a second round of acceptances for health promo yet

I just got an acceptance to health promo! 

5 hours ago, Anxiouscat said:

has anyone heard from any university regarding their formatting for classes this fall?

UofT doesn’t have any official plans yet. Though each department seems to have different unofficial plans. Public health dept told instructors to get ready to deliver online classes in fall.

7 hours ago, Anxiouscat said:

haven't heard anything but BC gov's restart plan says if transmission rates remain low then post-secondary will be a mix of online/in person

8 hours ago, MPHCAN2020 said:

Hello! Is there anyone currently in the MPH program at University of Alberta that could share some insights into the program (particularly the Global Health stream)? :)

Hi there! I'm not currently enrolled in the MPH program at UAlberta, but I accepted my offer to attend in the fall. I also had questions about the program, and I was able to search people on LinkedIn that were currently enrolled and ask if they would be willing to speak with me and I received great responses! So that is a good outlet to use if you have questions :) 

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted to MPH programs in Canada!

For anyone who has accepted their offer to U of T (or is considering it), on behalf of the Public Health Students' Association, I'd like you all to know that along with the faculty & staff, we're currently putting in lots of time and thought on how to best adapt courses and orientation/events, given the current pandemic. We're hoping to make a Facebook group or Slack in the coming weeks for everyone to connect.

If you have any questions re: U of T, or MPH in Canada & the USA in general (I was also accepted to Columbia & UW last year), send me a message here on Grad Cafe, and I'll pass along my email :)

7 hours ago, Sarah FR said:

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted to MPH programs in Canada!

For anyone who has accepted their offer to U of T (or is considering it), on behalf of the Public Health Students' Association, I'd like you all to know that along with the faculty & staff, we're currently putting in lots of time and thought on how to best adapt courses and orientation/events, given the current pandemic. We're hoping to make a Facebook group or Slack in the coming weeks for everyone to connect.

If you have any questions re: U of T, or MPH in Canada & the USA in general (I was also accepted to Columbia & UW last year), send me a message here on Grad Cafe, and I'll pass along my email :)

Just a general question about UofT MPH epi...

What do you think about it so far? Could you list a couple things that you like and dislike about the program?

On 4/27/2020 at 1:18 PM, chikoleeds said:

I've been a silent lurker this entire time and was one of the ones who got rejected from UofA on April 20. Just received admission to the University of Saskatchewan by email! For their distance program. 

I’m a lurker too! I accepted my offer a week or so ago.