MPH 2020 Canada

Jill98

On 5/8/2020 at 7:04 PM, olivetree123 said:

Is there any Waterloo MPH group chat?

hey! Silent lurker here and accepted into the Waterloo MPH program. I haven't come across a group chat for the Waterloo MPH cohort but happy to start one so we can all connect since the program is mostly online. 

11 hours ago, UBC2019 said:

Has anyone received an offer to Western MPH? any thoughts on the program and how it will be administered in the fall?

Hi. 

I got an offer from Western on 9th April. The deadline to accept the offer is 15th May, so I am assuming they will be sending out more offers after tomorrow. 

The program seems well rounded but it's crazy expensive, so I am a little concerned with that aspect. My first choices were global health Alberta and McMaster, and Western next. I got a reject from Alberta and I am waiting to hear back from McMaster.  I will be accepting my western offer meanwhile. 

As per their recent email they said 

"Some of you might be questioning what the coming year will look like and that is a fair question.  At this time, we don’t have any concrete answers.  The only guarantee we can offer is that the MPH Program will begin in September in some format and all students, upon successful completion of all degree requirements, will graduate on time."

Hope this helps. Good luck !! 

On 5/11/2020 at 10:05 PM, 2020mph said:

Congrats! Did they let you know you were on the waitlist previously via email & the place you are on the waitlist? 

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, they emailed on April 3rd:

"Thank you for submitting your application to the Master of Public Health (MPH) program in the Faculty of Health Sciences at Simon Fraser University. 

The admissions process for the MPH program at SFU is highly competitive.  We admit a cohort of about 40 students and receive over 350 applications.  All aspects of your application were assessed by the MPH admissions committee and although we are unable to recommend you for a seat into the program at this time, you have been placed on the waiting list. 

You are currently number 3 of 15.

You will be contacted as soon as we are able to recommend you for a seat in the program, which can be as late as mid-August.  Please be sure to keep your contact information updated over the next few months, and contact us with any changes in this regard."

20 hours ago, watmph2020 said:

hey! Silent lurker here and accepted into the Waterloo MPH program. I haven't come across a group chat for the Waterloo MPH cohort but happy to start one so we can all connect since the program is mostly online. 

That would be great!

Hi everyone I received  this from waterloo this morning. Can anyone tell me what this means?

We are writing to inform you that your application to the Master of Public Health program has been assessed by the School of Public Health and Health Systems and is advancing to university review.

Your application will now be assessed by the Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (GSPA) office. Please continue to monitor your email for updates regarding your application. 

Note: You may be requested to submit additional documents once your application has been reviewed by GSPA.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

2 minutes ago, Meeha said:

Hi everyone I received  this from waterloo this morning. Can anyone tell me what this means?

We are writing to inform you that your application to the Master of Public Health program has been assessed by the School of Public Health and Health Systems and is advancing to university review.

Your application will now be assessed by the Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (GSPA) office. Please continue to monitor your email for updates regarding your application. 

Note: You may be requested to submit additional documents once your application has been reviewed by GSPA.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

This is what it says on their Graduate admissions process page (https://uwaterloo.ca/graduate-studies-postdoctoral-affairs/future-students/after-youve-applied/admission-review-process)

"Your application will first be reviewed by the academic unit to which you have applied (Department, School, or program). The academic unit will manage the supervisor review process, if applicable. Applicants selected by the academic unit are recommended for admission and the application is sent to the Faculty Associate Dean’s Office.

The Faculty Associate Dean’s Office then reviews your application. All applications approved for admission are then sent to Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs for review and final approval.

Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (GSPA) reviews your application to verify admissibility."

15 minutes ago, mphhopeful20 said:

This is what it says on their Graduate admissions process page (https://uwaterloo.ca/graduate-studies-postdoctoral-affairs/future-students/after-youve-applied/admission-review-process)

"Your application will first be reviewed by the academic unit to which you have applied (Department, School, or program). The academic unit will manage the supervisor review process, if applicable. Applicants selected by the academic unit are recommended for admission and the application is sent to the Faculty Associate Dean’s Office.

The Faculty Associate Dean’s Office then reviews your application. All applications approved for admission are then sent to Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs for review and final approval.

Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (GSPA) reviews your application to verify admissibility."

Thank you. 

Really hoping for a positive reply from them. I've been eagerly  waiting for weeks. 

10 minutes ago, Ahertz said:

I haven’t received any info from SFU since I submitted my application. Does it mean that I’m highly likely rejected?

No changes on go.sfu.ca either? 

3 hours ago, Meeha said:

Thank you. 

Really hoping for a positive reply from them. I've been eagerly  waiting for weeks. 

Congrats on the update! Hoping that you receive an update from them soon! Did your application on their website change as well?

3 hours ago, my.mph2020 said:

Congrats on the update! Hoping that you receive an update from them soon! Did your application on their website change as well?

Thank you and No,  Unfortunately  it is saying the same thing. 'No decision has been made'

On 4/5/2020 at 3:08 PM, MPHtwenty said:

Omg congrats! Let me know if you end up accepting to Brock, excited to have a confirmed classmate in the program :)

Hi,
I am a little late lol. I am also an incoming Brock MPH student and I was wondering if there is a facebook or messenger group for the upcoming class? Also do you happen to know how many they take each year?

Thank you

On 5/14/2020 at 8:21 AM, Jony said:

Hi. 

I got an offer from Western on 9th April. The deadline to accept the offer is 15th May, so I am assuming they will be sending out more offers after tomorrow. 

The program seems well rounded but it's crazy expensive, so I am a little concerned with that aspect. My first choices were global health Alberta and McMaster, and Western next. I got a reject from Alberta and I am waiting to hear back from McMaster.  I will be accepting my western offer meanwhile. 

As per their recent email they said 

"Some of you might be questioning what the coming year will look like and that is a fair question.  At this time, we don’t have any concrete answers.  The only guarantee we can offer is that the MPH Program will begin in September in some format and all students, upon successful completion of all degree requirements, will graduate on time."

Hope this helps. Good luck !! 

is there a group chat or fb group for those who were accepted? i am thinking of accepting my offer soon as well 

2 hours ago, 1234class1234 said:

is there a group chat or fb group for those who were accepted? i am thinking of accepting my offer soon as well 

Once you accept your Western offer you are added to a Facebook group that is moderated by the program administrators where everyone introduces themselves and gets to know everyone else in the program!

2 hours ago, 1234class1234 said:

Hi,

There is a Facebook group. Once you accept the offer, they will send you an invite with other instructions on your email. 

I haven't joined the group yet. Will probably do so in a day or two. 

Does anyone know if UBC MPH’s waitlist has had any movement whatsoever? I remember seeing some posts on here saying they’ve declined UBC’s offer...surely they’d have some movement in the waitlist since then? I emailed UBC and they said there aren’t any new updates - so how would they have filled the places of those who declined admission? ? 

3 hours ago, xttr said:

Does anyone know if UBC MPH’s waitlist has had any movement whatsoever? I remember seeing some posts on here saying they’ve declined UBC’s offer...surely they’d have some movement in the waitlist since then? I emailed UBC and they said there aren’t any new updates - so how would they have filled the places of those who declined admission? ? 

Same boat as you! :(