MPH 2020 Canada

Jill98

1 hour ago, NovaTerra said:

This might not be the right place to ask this, but have you guys heard from your schools/programs about how they’re going to proceed with the fall sem with regards to COVID-19? Like is it going to be all online, or a mix or online and in-person, or some other option.

Apparently, UofT wants to wait until May/June to discuss the fall sem, which sounds reasonable. But I’m just curious if other unis have started planning and what they’re doing.

I heard Calgary schools are wanting to move with online classes but I’m not sure if UofA will follow

Edited by Anxiouscat

10 hours ago, Meeha said:

Has anyone heard from waterloo or lakehead? It's been a while and I hope I do not get rejections from them as well 

9 hours ago, idkwhatusernametoput said:

Waterloo sent out an email saying they hope to get back to everyone by April 24

I just received an offer from Waterloo this afternoon! But I didn't receive any email, so try checking the student portal!

However, I will be declining since I've already accepted another offer so hopefully this moves someone up from a waitlist! Best of luck to everyone still waiting on schools!

14 hours ago, MDC15 said:

I just received an offer from Waterloo this afternoon! But I didn't receive any email, so try checking the student portal!

However, I will be declining since I've already accepted another offer so hopefully this moves someone up from a waitlist! Best of luck to everyone still waiting on schools!

Congrats!!  Can you please share your profile? 

Edited by Meeha

5 hours ago, Meeha said:

Congrats!!  Can you please share your profile? 

Sure thing! I did my undergrad degree in Psychology (average GPA overall, but did well in the upper-level classes).  I have had 3 research assistant positions and 1 lab coordinator position. 1 publication and 3 conference posters.  I've applied to MPH programs once before in 2018 but was rejected.  Since then, I've been working in community mental health for almost 3 years. 

I hope this helps!

19 minutes ago, jane234 said:

My application for U of T epidemiology still says Under Review.. anybody else in the same boat/have any idea if there's still a chance for acceptance?

My application for Health promo is too. Not sure what it means tbh. Don't have much hope

3 hours ago, jane234 said:

My application for U of T epidemiology still says Under Review.. anybody else in the same boat/have any idea if there's still a chance for acceptance?

I'm still waiting for this as well, and have ZERO idea as to where they are at.

1 hour ago, MPHhope said:

I'm still waiting for this as well, and have ZERO idea as to where they are at.

Hi, I got accepted to UofT epidemiology and have until April 29th to decide (I will most likely be declining), so hopefully they will send out another round of offers around that time!

23 minutes ago, mph2020!! said:

Hi, I got accepted to UofT epidemiology and have until April 29th to decide (I will most likely be declining), so hopefully they will send out another round of offers around that time!

Ohh thanks for the info! That's helpful to know

6 hours ago, jane234 said:

i wouldn't lose hope at this point. professional school acceptances are around the corner and there's usually a handful of offers from people who rescind their offer to go to medical/dental/law school.

1 hour ago, elscorchoo said:

i wouldn't lose hope at this point. professional school acceptances are around the corner and there's usually a handful of offers from people who rescind their offer to go to medical/dental/law school.

Thanks! I guess that's true.. Just hope it will be decided before I need to answer another school.

2 minutes ago, mphontario202 said:

Any one who has applied to epi programs, do you mind sharing why you are choosing an MPH over an MSc (or vice versa)? Just trying to get some perspectives! 

Thanks! 

Chose MSc over mph as I’m more interested in research than a policy job!

3 hours ago, Meeha said:

Has anyone else heard from waterloo? I know they emailed a few weeks ago saying we will hear back  by April 24th. But I still have not heard from them. Is it safe to say I am getting a rejection?

I received an acceptance on April 21st, but I will most likely be declining as I have accepted another offer already, so a spot should open up for someone waiting! For reference, I have until May 5th to accept/decline, so I wouldn’t give up hope quite yet. Best of luck :) 

3 hours ago, mphontario202 said:

Any one who has applied to epi programs, do you mind sharing why you are choosing an MPH over an MSc (or vice versa)? Just trying to get some perspectives! 

Thanks! 

I chose a MPH over MSc because there wasn’t one specific area of public health that I wanted to focus on, and an MPH allowed me to stay more general and get training for a variety of public health jobs. Working in public health research for 2 years I knew I didn’t want to continue on to get a PhD, so a well connected practicum program component was attractive for landing a job post-grad. I talked to people that went MPH->PHD though so it is possible, also there are DrPH programs that are becoming more popular as well for further advancement.

4 hours ago, mphontario202 said:

Thanks! 

Is the MSc a research-based program?

If so, you'll learn very specific things in an MSc compared to MPH. A research-based MSc also gears you for a PhD or a career in research/academia. I have a MSc and I don't expect to use a lot of the stuff I learned in my MSc again if I enter a career in public health. And I'm also not interested in the "publish or perish" nature of academia.

MPH is broader and teaches more practical skills that allow you to enter the workforce shortly after graduation. I honestly applied for an MPH because of the job prospects. I know UofT tends to get their PhD students from their MPH pool so there's still an opportunity to do a PhD after (but I doubt I'll go for it).

On 4/20/2020 at 12:32 AM, Excel725 said:

Hi! Congratulations! I'm applying for 2021 to UofT Epi, just wondering if you could share your profile (GPA + experience), I'd appreciate it :)

Sure! Around a 3.9 GPA in a BSc at Western, various extracurriculars (your typical undergrad exec stuff - VP of 3 clubs to be exact), 2 publications (not first author), 0 presentations, 0 "real-life" public health experience. Did research for about 2 years looking at relevant stuff though (determinants of health and chronic disease epidemiology). Additionally, I also submitted GRE results (around 132 V and 140 Q I think) but they really don't take that into consideration so I wouldn't worry too much about writing it unless you're planning to go to the US. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Edited by Jim28