MPH 2020 Canada

Jill98

1 hour ago, Titania said:

Lol... Let’s give them till the end of the day.

Good idea! They also might not have offers for everyone today or the portal might take a day to upload final decisions if they did many at once (I don't know anything about their OS). I do know that the UofA Faculty of Education emailed me a notice about an application update but it took a couple refreshes to see it on their portal! Also, before their email, it still said my application was pending review - so applications can be looked at anytime I believe and may change from "prescreening" to final decision directly. Technology is very reliable until it isn't lol!

Side note: depending on where you are located, remember their local time! Personal times could be different; for example, its just past 11am in my time zone but it would be 9am at UofA. Their work day is just getting started :)

Edited by mmtw

2 hours ago, mmtw said:

Good idea! They also might not have offers for everyone today or the portal might take a day to upload final decisions if they did many at once (I don't know anything about their OS). I do know that the UofA Faculty of Education emailed me a notice about an application update but it took a couple refreshes to see it on their portal! Also, before their email, it still said my application was pending review - so applications can be looked at anytime I believe and may change from "prescreening" to final decision directly. Technology is very reliable until it isn't lol!

Side note: depending on where you are located, remember their local time! Personal times could be different; for example, its just past 11am in my time zone but it would be 9am at UofA. Their work day is just getting started :)

But when I mailed them they said decisions will be out by 20th April

8 minutes ago, Mphasp said:

But when I mailed them they said decisions will be out by 20th April

I received a reply to my decision date inquiry email I sent on Thursday, April 9 a mere 3 hours after I sent it. I quote the following from the email response: "Our admissions team is currently reviewing applications and we expect to have all the decisions made and sent out by April 15. We thank you for your patience."  They did use the words expect - so we can assume delays. However, we have waited this long so another 5 days is not a worry :) 

29 minutes ago, mmtw said:

I received a reply to my decision date inquiry email I sent on Thursday, April 9 a mere 3 hours after I sent it. I quote the following from the email response: "Our admissions team is currently reviewing applications and we expect to have all the decisions made and sent out by April 15. We thank you for your patience."  They did use the words expect - so we can assume delays. However, we have waited this long so another 5 days is not a worry :) 

Yes, I was also told April 15.

I’ll probably send them a mail and politely ask if offers have gone out for Global Health stream prior to today. 
I haven’t seen anyone here say they received an offer for Global Health.

Did anyone else's UofA application portal just crash and now not load?

Edited by mmtw

3 hours ago, mphontario202 said:

just got an offer to uoft epi! :)

Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats/experiences? Just to get a sense of where the admissions committee is at in terms of applicants being accepted right now.

On 4/15/2020 at 5:08 PM, MPHhope said:

Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats/experiences? Just to get a sense of where the admissions committee is at in terms of applicants being accepted right now.

Thank you! Honestly this was a surprise as i though uoft was a reach for me (still waiting for an email to tell me it was a mistake lol). 

Hon BSc. Honours thesis (manuscript in preparation), volunteer research assistant, some public health volunteering, unrelated office-type work experience/internships every summer of undergrad. My LOI was very specific in terms of research interests and the specific area of epi I'm interested in. 

Best of luck! 

On 4/14/2020 at 4:09 PM, xttr said:

What are you thinking of doing? ?

Probably going to wait it out until my acceptance deadline for the UBC MSc on the 27th, if I don't hear anything back I'll pay the deposit and accept the Msc program for the time being and see if anything changes for the UBC/SFU MPH programs! 

On 4/14/2020 at 4:10 PM, katniss055 said:

Wait, why is SFU waiting until August ?

Got an email reply from them last week basically they said: "Initial offers of admission to the MPH Program at SFU have been sent out.  Please note that admissions will be ongoing until mid August.  Successful applicants will be contacted by email as openings become available."

On 4/14/2020 at 4:39 PM, mmtw said:

As this is a weird time for everyone, if you reach out to UBC or SFU they could give you recommendations and guidance to aid in moving forward in your decision process; this includes seeking information on contingency plans for the fall term if emergency states continue. In addition to that, you could ask SFU how long the wait-list is and how you rank on it (if they are willing to disclose that information; ask politely); it's almost like rejecting yourself to make a decision. You don't have to remove yourself from the list, but out of odds for true acceptance if you are lower on the list you might as well accept another offer? Regardless, if SFU offers you admission later you could always switch programs. Perhaps contact your current academic adviser for some third-party perspective as well! Circumstances are challenging all around but I do suggest seeking counsel from a trusted mentor.

Thanks for the advice! Did not think about emailing them about their contingency plans, but I'll probably look into doing that! :)

4 hours ago, 2020mph said:

Probably going to wait it out until my acceptance deadline for the UBC MSc on the 27th, if I don't hear anything back I'll pay the deposit and accept the Msc program for the time being and see if anything changes for the UBC/SFU MPH programs! 

Good call :)

So for those waiting for a decision under the global health stream, I mailed them and they said there has been a first round of offers already.

I guess none of us here made the cut. Deadline to accept is probably April 18 or so. Maybe after that, they might release more offers.

Stay hopeful..

Edited by Titania

7 hours ago, Titania said:

So for those waiting for a decision under the global health stream, I mailed them and they said there has been a first round of offers already.

I guess none of us here made the cut. Deadline to accept is probably April 18 or so. Maybe after that, they might release more offers.

Stay hopeful..

Thank you for the very helpful information. 

Mine is still at prescreening (Global Health) Lol! 

18 hours ago, mphontario202 said:

Thank you! Honestly this was a surprise as i though uoft was a reach for me (still waiting for an email to tell me it was a mistake lol). 

Hon BSc in psych, 87 final year gpa. Honours thesis (manuscript in preparation), volunteer research assistant, some public health volunteering, unrelated office-type work experience/internships every summer of undergrad. My LOI was very specific in terms of research interests and the specific area of epi I'm interested in. 

Best of luck! 

Thanks for sharing your experiences and stats! I got help from current MPH students on the LOI so I believe it is specific to the program, though my concern is that my general career and research interests might be outside the scope of the program.

Hoping to get some sort of response from them soon!

1 hour ago, MPHhope said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences and stats! I got help from current MPH students on the LOI so I believe it is specific to the program, though my concern is that my general career and research interests might be outside the scope of the program.

Hoping to get some sort of response from them soon!

I'm on the same boat waiting for u of t epi.. Seems like there were at least 3 rounds of admissions that went out already though. I hope they'll make the final decision soon.

4 hours ago, jane234 said:

I'm on the same boat waiting for u of t epi.. Seems like there were at least 3 rounds of admissions that went out already though. I hope they'll make the final decision soon.

Really? I thought they are on their 2nd round of admission right now? The first being near the end of March (with a deadline of April 8th) and then the current one. I'm also new to this and my sources of this is only from this forum

2 hours ago, MPHhope said:

Really? I thought they are on their 2nd round of admission right now? The first being near the end of March (with a deadline of April 8th) and then the current one. I'm also new to this and my sources of this is only from this forum

Me too! If you search for toronto, epidemiology on the results section of this website you can see they sent out rejections on April 1 and offers April 3 in addition to the ones you mentioned.