MPH 2020 Canada

Jill98

On 3/23/2020 at 4:03 AM, NovaTerra said:

Congrats! What stream? And do you mind sharing your credentials?

I applied for epi but haven't heard back yet.

Sorry- just seeing this now. 

For the Indigenous Health stream. I shared my credentials on the first page of this forum if you wanted to look :)

On 4/1/2020 at 6:21 PM, IndigenousHealth2020 said:

I am planning on accepting! 

Just curious if you ended up accepting Guelph or going ahead with UoT's Indigenous Health program?

I've accepted the Indigenous Health and it would be nice to connect with other classmates if so :)

Hey y'all! Got admitted to U of T's MPH in Epi a little while back. Looking forward to seeing everyone in september :) Weird question and only a handful of you probably are going to understand, but is anyone down to make a team for clash?

Hey Guys! I just wanted to let you know in case anyone's waiting on SFU: I got accepted to their MPH on Friday from the waitlist (I was #3 out of 15). I don't know if I plan on accepting as I'm from Ontario and am hoping I get in either Queens or Western as I'm on the waitlist for both and that way I can stay closer to home. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and good luck to those still waiting!

On 5/7/2020 at 6:25 PM, NovaTerra said:

Just a general question about UofT MPH epi...

What do you think about it so far? Could you list a couple things that you like and dislike about the program?

Like any school, there are pros and cons, and my experience differs from that of my classmates.

PROS

-Small program (~36 of us), so we've grown close
-Lots of involvement (PHSA, work-study, intramurals, clubs, research, conferences, events)
-Some faculty are very transparent with and openly offer support to students
-Our practicum coordinator has worked over time to accommodate everyone whose practicum was either cancelled or changed due to COVID-19
-Epi core courses cover a diverse set of topics and prepare us for hand-on work

CONS

-Some faculty don't seem as supportive; they're focused on their work more so than their teaching (but you'll find this at any school)
-Some classes in term 2 didn't assess us in an accurate manner (circumstantial; new prof teaching the course)
-Fewer practicum opportunities in Ontario, compared to the previous year (due to the provincial gov's funding cuts)
-The university itself is big, so navigating UofT services can be difficult or overwhelming (but the graduate population is much smaller than the undergraduate population)

I hope that helps!

1 hour ago, aussie98 said:

McGill just released that fall semester will primarily be online! Not sure what this is gonna mean for other uni's but I'm sure we will all get an update on our respective schools soon

UBC also just released that larger classes will be online and some smaller classes will be in person with individual faculties coming out with their plans for specific programs in the coming weeks. Not sure how this affects us MPH people yet since class sizes are fairly small ?

8 hours ago, my.mph2020 said:

Congrats to everyone who's received their acceptances!

Has anyone recently received an update from the Waterloo MPH Program? Also, is there anyone who's applied to the Ottawa MPH Program as well?

No. I am still waiting on waterloo. 

Have you heard anything 

7 hours ago, ubcmph2020 said:

UBC also just released that larger classes will be online and some smaller classes will be in person with individual faculties coming out with their plans for specific programs in the coming weeks. Not sure how this affects us MPH people yet since class sizes are fairly small ?

Hey! Where did you get this information from? I accepted an offer for a graduate program at UBC but it’s been radio silence from them regarding future protocols. 

12 hours ago, sha47 said:

Hey Guys! I just wanted to let you know in case anyone's waiting on SFU: I got accepted to their MPH on Friday from the waitlist (I was #3 out of 15). I don't know if I plan on accepting as I'm from Ontario and am hoping I get in either Queens or Western as I'm on the waitlist for both and that way I can stay closer to home. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and good luck to those still waiting!

Congrats! Did they let you know you were on the waitlist previously via email & the place you are on the waitlist? 

1 hour ago, xttr said:

Hey! Where did you get this information from? I accepted an offer for a graduate program at UBC but it’s been radio silence from them regarding future protocols. 

Santa sent out the info in his broadcast email, you can view it here

17 hours ago, rifka_c said:

Yes, I am still waiting to hear back! Did they start sending admission letters?

Hi,

I have no idea. I have left them an email today. I will let you know once they respond. I hope they reply today ?. It will be nice to know if I am waiting for a rejection or if they are yet to send/still sending offers. 

21 hours ago, Jony said:

Anyone else waiting for an update from McMaster global health?

Hi there! I believe they started sending them out 2 weeks back, I received my offer last week. They said they are going to send them out till "Mid May"

Goodluck!!

Edited by saralovescience

54 minutes ago, saralovescience said:

Hi there! I believe they started sending them out 2 weeks back, I received my offer last week. They said they are going to send them out till "Mid May"

Goodluck!!

Hey! 

Thanks for letting me know. Congratulations on your acceptance ?? !! 

19 hours ago, rifka_c said:

Yes, I am still waiting to hear back! Did they start sending admission letters?

Yep, I just got a response to my email as I am typing this. They are hoping to send out more offers by mid May.  

7 hours ago, MPHhope said:

Just FYI, I received acceptance to McMaster's Global Health just now. I have until May 19th to reject. It is not my #1 choice (Waiting on UofT Epi...), so might be rejecting and wil update when I do.

Congrats!

I got rejected from UofT epi in late-May a couple years ago. I hope you hear back from UofT soon.