ONLINE MSW Programs

Hi there!!  I have been doing extensive research and trying to decide which Online MSW programs to apply too. I am really curious about anyones experience on the program you chose and if you are happy with it. I'm a bit nervous to bite the bullet on an online program, but I can't financially swing something totally in-person since I'll be working to pay for school!!

A little bit about me:

- This would be my second Master's, first in Public Administration

- Decided I wanted to transition to clinical Social Work with an emphasis in counseling. 

- Considering Simmons and Case Western, but horrified on the reviews from Simmons. It sounds good on paper, but hard to tell what it is actually like!!

I did distance education at the University of Tennessee and highly recommend it. I don't know anything about Case Western or Simmons so I can't help there. I will say that don't assume that because it's distance education that you won't spend just as much time on the program or that it won't be as rigorous as on campus. One woman worked full time the first year of our program (only because she was able to get an internship that allowed her to do her hours overnight which is hard to find) but was not able to the second year because of the amount of required field hours and not being able to find another site with overnight hours. You will spend considerable time reading, studying, doing assignments, probably have at least some required synchronous sessions, and of course field hours. Distance education can provide some flexibility but it's just as much if not more work as on campus. 

Good luck!

Edited by louise86

I would recommend looking into some cheaper schools if an online program is your only option. I did extensive research on this back in January-February of this year and the cheapest ones I found were Boise State University, University of Central Florida, West Virginia University, and Louisiana State University. But you should do your own research, too. The info is sometimes hard to find but if you sign up to receive more information from certain schools they will try and set up an appointment to call you and sell you on their school, and you can use that phone call to ask them about the tuition per credit hour as well as any other questions you may have.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2019 at 8:05 AM, doctormelody said:

I would recommend looking into some cheaper schools if an online program is your only option. I did extensive research on this back in January-February of this year and the cheapest ones I found were Boise State University, University of Central Florida, West Virginia University, and Louisiana State University. But you should do your own research, too. The info is sometimes hard to find but if you sign up to receive more information from certain schools they will try and set up an appointment to call you and sell you on their school, and you can use that phone call to ask them about the tuition per credit hour as well as any other questions you may have.

I fully agree with this. As long as the program is CSWE-Accreditted, i would go for cost. Licensing is pretty standard across most states. 

Also, I started West Virginia University this week and so far I love it! We utilize cameras and i have even gotten invited to attend events in person (if i want) or via live camera. The classes are not usually a set time, so it is flexible. But it has been great actually seeing my classmates. I feel, so far, that the program in person is highly similar to online. In fact the same profs teach it and they use the same exact curriculum. Using Zoom has made the experience seem so in reality and not just online. I can't say enough good things, but you really need to do your research. I think with you already having a masters degree, I would highly suggest finding a much more affordable school to go to. No one really cares about the name when it comes to an MSW, they care about the accreditation. Likewise, paying more than necessary isn't going to help you out much. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of applying to the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign's iMSW program. It is a hybrid program, so a few classes will meet twice or so a month. But I really liked how it made it possible to work full-time while studying part-time. It also is more cost effective for me as I am in-state. 

If you are doing the online route I would stick with a in-state option, state university. I live in Missouri and the cost of the in-state option at The University of Missouri MSW is about half of that of the private schools....

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to update you.

I am LOVING WVUs online MSW program! I just got through midterms and i still reallt enjoy the program. I do put the work in, for sure. I read one to two chapters each week, per class. [Im taking 2 classes]. Then the actual class session takes me about 2 hours. Could take way less for others but i like to take good notes. I usually have to do a discussion post each week per class and then i have to reply to a couple other peers discussions. I have had to write two papers and will have to do about two moee by the end of the semester. I take quizes almost weekly per class. I also have some homework assignments, mainly doing case vignettes. We have done a lot of video threads and that has been very neat. Makes me feel like i am in perosn w class even tho its done all on my schedule. I absolutely love the pgroam and i def think i put about 10 to 20 h9urs in each week. I truly love what im learning though and it is very doable parttime.

Anyways hope this helps. I highly recommend them but im.bias (;

• 1 month later...

Hello all! 
I am Canadian and will be applying to do my online MSW at some schools in the states. I have an undergraduate degree in Family Studies & Psychology, as well as a College diploma in Early Childhood Education. I am really hoping to get accepted into Rutgers program with the violence against women and children certificate. I will also be applying to Temple U, WVU, and Laurier(a Canadian school). Does anyone know what scholarship options are like in the States? I know these programs are very expensive. 

best of luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 2:48 PM, Tulip25 said:

Hello all! 
I am Canadian and will be applying to do my online MSW at some schools in the states. I have an undergraduate degree in Family Studies & Psychology, as well as a College diploma in Early Childhood Education. I am really hoping to get accepted into Rutgers program with the violence against women and children certificate. I will also be applying to Temple U, WVU, and Laurier(a Canadian school). Does anyone know what scholarship options are like in the States? I know these programs are very expensive. 

best of luck everyone!

I cant speak to the other universitys but WVU does not offer anything outside of student loans to their online program. The thing is, WVU per credit hour is far less expensive than the other schools you mentioned. So even thought its online program doesnt offer additional aid or scholarships, its likely still way less expensive. 

Their oncampus option does have a few great programs to geg credit hour paid for. Unfortunately they are not currently being offered for the online program.

I just took my last final of the semester. Still totally loving it!

On 11/26/2019 at 2:48 PM, Tulip25 said:

Hello all! 

best of luck everyone!

It really depends on the school. The online programs are big money makers and intended to be. As a result, there are less scholarships available. 

• 1 month later...

Hi y'all! I'm applying to Widener's MSW on campus program (because they only offer scholarships and assistantships for the in person program) but their online option is my backup. I have a friend who's in the online program and recommended it as well. (Widener is right outside Philly) Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

This is an older thread, but my therapist (who is the owner of a large private practice) said she refuses to hire people with an online MSW degree. She is older, however, so younger employers may view it differently. But that is one thing to consider.

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2020 at 11:39 AM, IPmsw2020 said:

This is an older thread, but my therapist (who is the owner of a large private practice) said she refuses to hire people with an online MSW degree. She is older, however, so younger employers may view it differently. But that is one thing to consider.

This would be the exception, not the rule.