Masters of Health Informatics (U of T/Waterloo) Fall 2020

mhua94

Hey everyone!

I'm looking into Masters of Health Informatics (MHI) programs for the fall of 2020. This seems like a somewhat overwhelming process, so, much like the years before, I thought a thread for everyone in the same boat might be useful!

A bit about me - I attended Western University for Health Sciences and graduated in 2017. Afterwards, I attended U of T for my Bachelor of Science in Nursing and will be writing my NCLEX in the coming weeks. I have a lot of clinical experiences from nursing as well as using a variety of different EHRs in several hospitals in Toronto.

I'm looking to apply to U of T and possibly University of Waterloo. I'm very interested in the MHI at U of T and would have to say it's my first choice. I'm skeptical about applying to Waterloo just because it is an online program and there's little information about it on the website and from other students.

I'd love to chat with any current MHI students in either of these programs (or any others in Canada!) and anyone else going though this process :)

Edited by mhua94

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, narnajas said:

Just got an interview invite to UofT.

Congratulations! Can you tell me a bit about your background? Like your education and career experience related to health informatics.  Also is the interview format like last year? 

Thanks, honestly I was surprised that I even got an interview since I am a recent lifesci grad with no real industry experience with health informatics. My cGPA was around 3.85 but my final year was on the lower side ~3.75. On my personal statement I tried to emphasize coursework/research work and extracurriculars where I learned about the importance of leveraging data to inform decisions. For instance, I was involved with a lot of data processing and analysis through my research lab (at a hospital) which allowed me to see how raw data could be used to generate conclusions and ultimately inform a clinicians decisions. I also emphasized what fascinated me about the MHI program (i.e. its curriculum, structure) and a general idea of how it would help me reach my career goals.

Did anyone else receive an interview? Curious to know how you guys are preparing as I am completely lost haha.

8 hours ago, Aaar19 said:

Congratulations! Can you tell me a bit about your background? Like your education and career experience related to health informatics.  Also is the interview format like last year? 

Yes it seems to be the exact same format as last years interview.

Edited by narnajas

7 hours ago, naureen.rehman said:

I have not received the interview email, last night I called Zoe but she said that emails for all the interviews are already sent out. I wonder whether i got rejected?

Really? I emailed Zoe on Thursday and she said they would send interview invites this week and next week. Did anyone else contact Zoe? 

9 hours ago, Aaar19 said:

I just called Zoe and she said that she’s still sending interview invites! She said that the invites should all be sent out by the end of this week or early next week, so don’t lose hope! 

Thanks for the info. Anyone getting interview mail please update.

On 2/16/2020 at 2:14 PM, M.Shelley said:

Hey guys!! I'm currently in the MHI program at UofT and would love to answer any questions. Feel free to message me. 

Hey what was your topic for the presentation? I have some ideas on what I want to present on but I wanted to know how specific the topic needs to be. Also do you know what kinds of behavioral questions the interviewers ask? Appreciate any help.

Hey guys!! I'm currently in the MHI program at UofT and would love to answer any questions. Feel free to message me. 

2 hours ago, jeb_71 said:

Hey what was your topic for the presentation? I have some ideas on what I want to present on but I wanted to know how specific the topic needs to be. Also do you know what kinds of behavioral questions the interviewers ask? Appreciate any help.

This. Would love to know this as well!

3 hours ago, Puckcisco said:

This. Would love to know this as well!

So for my presentation, I did mine on implementing a discharge tool at my workplace. Usually a specific topic that's relevant to you or you're passionate about would be best. In terms of the questions, they are usually your standard interview questions regarding conflict resolution, future career goals, why health informatics etc. They are there to just see your thought processes and how you communicate so don't overthink the interview but definitely prepare your answers.  Hopefully that was helpful. Let me know if you have anymore questions. 

Hi Everyone, 

I only received an interview invite this morning! I wasn't even aware of this group until then - honestly, I was expecting to hear back early March. 

Now that I'm here, let's talk about presentation topics. I am open to brainstorming & discussion. 

Message me for my LinkedIn, let's connect! 

Edited by clrn02

Hi..Could you please guide how and what to prepare for interview. I would be grateful for your support. My email id: afrinbdr2@gmail.com

1 hour ago, clrn02 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I only received an interview invite this morning! I wasn't even aware of this group until then - honestly, I was expecting to hear back early March. 

Now that I'm here, let's talk about presentation topics. I am open to brainstorming & discussion. 

Message me for my LinkedIn, let's connect! 

Great...Congratulations..Please connect me too

On 2/16/2020 at 8:14 PM, M.Shelley said:

Hello Shelley, how would you compare the MHI program in Toronto to Mcmaster eHealth program. Are there are pros and cons we should know of? Do you get to interact with your counterparts at Mcmaster?