NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

Just now, Chris11010 said:

Had to finally stop lurking and join in on the collective panic. 12/6 Bioscience ARO applicant here. Someone just put me out of my misery already. 

But high key so proud to be ~December Gang~

To add another data point from the lurker gallery. 12/3 Chemistry ARO and NSF

It seems that ARO is the holdup... I'm 12/1/2019 (day I submitted) and Biomathematics ARO.

This has been suggested before, but the dates make most sense to me as cutoffs: if you were updated in late Dec, jan, feb or early march, it probably means a cut. Reason for this, is at the next round, the reviewer only wants to pull up "active" applicants who are still in the running. But hey, it may just be an early Dec hopeful dream.

I'm thinking ARO for some reason just didn't put in updates yet, hence the high rate of early Dec (day of submission) updates.

Just now, bdanubius said:

It seems that ARO is the holdup... I'm 12/1/2019 (day I submitted) and Biomathematics ARO.

This has been suggested before, but the dates make most sense to me as cutoffs: if you were updated in late Dec, jan, feb or early march, it probably means a cut. Reason for this, is at the next round, the reviewer only wants to pull up "active" applicants who are still in the running. But hey, it may just be an early Dec hopeful dream.

I'm thinking ARO for some reason just didn't put in updates yet, hence the high rate of early Dec (day of submission) updates.

That's why December Gang became a thing mate.

I would not agree with this, except for the fact that there are so many CS people that just like... got cut the first round (according to the most common theorized significance of the dates). I don't think they'd do that, and I don't think our sample is that bad, right...?

Or maybe the updates mean nothing. I don't know. DoD please put me out of my misery

That would make a lot of sense to me, but from all of the responses here its a total crap shoot. I hope someone from SysPlus comes across this forum and considers getting rid of the date functionality and sets a clear set of dates for decisions.

2 minutes ago, bdanubius said:

Let's not start this argument again...

Just now, NDSEG_throwaway said:

Exactly. Been there a few pages back. 

The next huge question I have is.... What do we do with all this free time when we're not constantly refreshing webpages?

1 minute ago, OhTheStress said:

Easy.  Drink beer and work on our research (except the poor bastards like me who don't have enough data yet to do anything with and are locked out of their labs).

Pays to be a computationalist 

1 minute ago, Koenig said:

Sure does right now.  I've got some spray burner simulations running in support of my lab work that I can work on but those take forever to run.  I was hoping to get the NSF grant so I could get XSEDE access to run those.

Just now, OhTheStress said:

Easy.  Drink beer and work on our research (except the poor bastards like me who don't have enough data yet to do anything with and are locked out of their labs).

I hear you - experimentalist here and  research direction just got locked in the day before the school closed all labs ??‍♂️.

Also, previous lurker here and ~December Gang~

Just now, NDSEG_throwaway said:

Continue disappointing my department, adviser, and family :D

Are you me? This sounds like me. I've been so unproductive at home, I'm disappointing at a higher rate than usual.

5 minutes ago, Koenig said:

I wasn't a computationalist before the quarantine, but I am now apparently. Managed to learn how to use STAR CCM+ relatively quickly for lots of CFD, only to learn that our lab group wants to start switching to Fluent...

11 minutes ago, Chris11010 said:

The next huge question I have is.... What do we do with all this free time when we're not constantly refreshing webpages?

Trying to study for a qualifying exam that is now less than 3 weeks away and that I feel wholly unprepared for ? 

Wish NDSEG would release decisions so I could FOCUS.

Just now, vpaglioni3 said:

Are you me? This sounds like me. I've been so unproductive at home, I'm disappointing at a higher rate than usual.

I've been productive, but I think we all suffer from the imposter syndrome feelings :)

Just now, robertac93 said:

I wasn't a computationalist before the quarantine, but I am now apparently. Managed to learn how to use STAR CCM+ relatively quickly for lots of CFD, only to learn that our lab group wants to start switching to Fluent...

Fluent is rad! Get the research license, otherwise you're limited to 16 threads and it's painfully slow.

Bit the bullet. emailed rob and asked if it was an ARO hangup. His response:

Per my last conversation with the DoD this morning (not just ARO, but AFOSR and ONR as well), they are still aiming for decision release today.