ruthev

Hey y'all! With the process of MFA directing applications around the corner I thought it'd be good to go ahead and open this space up. I'm still on the fence about applications myself, want to make sure it's logistically/financially feasible, plus make sure I'm in the right headspace and ready for it. To wait or not to wait..

How's everybody feeling?

Also, random, but I'm trying to get a sense of other directors' websites, what's highlighted, what's not, etc. Anyone willing to share their url? Would love to take a look if you're willing to share! I'm ruthevelynallen.com.

Sending peace, love, and good vibes!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on the fence about applying this year.  Mostly because of financial factors -- even though I plan on only applying for programs with assistantships/funding, I still would like to be closer to being debt free. At the same time, I feel a time crunch based on the fact that the longer I remain in my arts admin job at a larger theatre the more likely someone is going to be to say "Hey, why aren't you just pursuing that field more seriously instead?"

It would also be my first year applying, which is scary to me, but I know I have to jump off that cliff sooner or later.

@ruthev, I'll PM you my website. I'd definitely love your thoughts on it, too, as I've decided that this week I'm going to really try and get it and my resume updated in case I do bite the bullet and decide to submit this year.

Hey! I'm applying for the first time this year and feel like a fish out of water...I'm only a few years out of undergrad, but this is a good time for me to look into grad programs as my partner is about to graduate from law school and we won't be tied down to any particular location. 

I've done a lot of self-produced work in the past two years and I don't have a lot of great documentation, but I try to keep up my website as best as I can (www.kathevbrown.com.) 

I'm also blogging about my experiences so far. I'm probably being ambitious with the amount of schools I've applied for- I just have no idea what to expect!

thanks @ruthev for getting this started!

I am gearing up to apply this year. I applied three years ago and got some interviews, but wasn't accepted into any programs. Obviously I was disappointed, but I went into it looking for a learning opportunity and I definitely got it! I spent those three years working on myself and my craft and I feel a lot more confident coming into it this year (for now anyway - I know I am going to be a panicy mess by the time I start submitting applications, yeesh).

I am looking forward to connecting with everyone through Grad Cafe. It was a great resource last time for pointers and support. I am excited to get help and be helpful!

(In the past I have seen people caution towards anonymity on this forum, but I am not 100% sure why. If anyone has any thoughts about that I'd love to hear them. In the mean time here is my website. www.seveisaacs.com )

• 2 weeks later...

Hows it going? I'm preparing to apply for mfa directing program in South Korea. I applied 2 years ago and got few interviews but I wasn't accepted into anywhere. However, I have worked as a director and producer in South Korea after the fail and I think, I'm ready to challenge again!

I wish to find someone who want to share information or tip with other. If you want to talk with me, Do not hesitate, please send e-mail to soongil0119@gmail.com. 

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends,

Quick question about Yale: I was wondering if any of you out there know specifics about how much financial assistance they offer. From what I gather they offer scholarships but they are not fully-funded. How much do the scholarships usually cover? I'm also an international student and sometimes that limits the scholarships I'm eligible for so I'm just trying to get a feel for the financial situation before I look into applying. Thanks!  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all!

Back at it again at Krispy Kreme! I applied to Yale 2 years ago and got an interview, then was rejected. Had full intentions to apply last year, but figured I could use another year out in the wild, so now I'm back! No more ghosting, I have internal deadlines set up and already reached out to letter recommenders, so I am in this baby!

Here are the schools on my list: Yale, URTAS (UT Austin & Iowa in particular), Washington, Hawaii, and Carnegie Mellon. UGH feels like a lot, but also not comprehensive....

I am really on the fence about URTAS, So I am looking for advice. Do folks know if individual schools place as much weight on applications to their school from URTAS, or are they more interested in applicants who apply directly to their schools? I would hate to miss out on UT Austin or Iowa because I got lost in the URTA shuffle. 

On 10/20/2019 at 4:15 PM, espooky said:

Hi friends,

Quick question about Yale: I was wondering if any of you out there know specifics about how much financial assistance they offer. From what I gather they offer scholarships but they are not fully-funded. How much do the scholarships usually cover? I'm also an international student and sometimes that limits the scholarships I'm eligible for so I'm just trying to get a feel for the financial situation before I look into applying. Thanks!  

Hey @espooky!

I visited Yale 2 years ago and listened to them explain their financial aid approach and honestly it is really confusing. From what I remember everyone who attends Yale with the intention of getting scholarships must submit FAFSA, including the financial information, tax returns, about their parents (regardless of your age or independence from them, Yale is big on considering generational wealth). Then they decide on an aid package for you. If you are able to demonstrate a significant amount of need, then I think you will have to pay $9000 your freshman year, but then the school supports you through the rest of your time there, but if I am remembering correctly, everyone pays at least the $9000.

This is my recollection from a 20 minute presentation, 2 years ago so I could be completely wrong, but that's what I remember. 

Hello Everyone! This is my first time applying to MFA Directing programs and getting super overwhelmed with the application process! If anyone has any tips or pointers let me know! Best of luck everyone!

Hi All, 

This is my first time applying and like others, feeling a bit overwhelmed by the it all. 

Does anyone have any knowledge of 2 year programs in the US? I am writing from Canada (our MFA programs up here are 2 years long) and although, I am deeply committed to school and getting my MFA ... I would also ideally like to do it in 2 years and would love to do so in the US. Asking a lot, I know. :)

I look forward to connecting with everyone and sending best wishes to all pressing SEND on the those applications. 

Edited by LCampbell
missing word

Hey @LCampbell I hadn't found any in my research up to this point, but just now stumbled on one at the University of North Carolina Greensboro.

Have you seen the list of MFA Directing programs that Baylor maintains? It's been extremely helpful.

Comprehensive Listing of MFA Programs in Directing (USA & Canada)

I'm working on URTA stuff right now. Everything is due on December 2nd! yeeee

How's everyone else doing?

Hey @KillerWingfield!

Doing alright. Currently trying to draft my essays for URTAS as well. I am a TALKER when I write, so I am trying to keep things concise but still insightful and its a challenge. I am especially disturbed by the fact that our URTA recommenders don't get notifications to submit their letters until we submit our entire completed application! So I am trying to light a fire under myself and get these wrapped up sooner rather than later.

The URTAS and Yale deadlines so close together are kind of killing me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Phoebe87 I don't know much about either of those programs, but have heard good things about Brooklyn College. I might see if you can get a hold of an alum to talk about their experiences with those schools, or scour previous MFA directing threads, they go back a few years. 

Throwing out positive vibes too all my fellow applicants who are staring that URTA deadline down the barrel this weekend! I am with you! 

Edited by Eccyclema