MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

I'm just gonna throw it out there that I'm an undergrad at UMich and if anyone has questions about life in Ann Arbor/surrounding area, parking (a nightmare)/transportation, the SSW (I'm in the minor so obviously not going to know MSW specific stuff but I know some things!), general UMich questions hmu! Also, the advice I've gotten about the financial aid for the MSW program is 1) expect little and 2) try to get a GSI position (aka TA) or try to find work at the SSW itself.

By the way, as someone who knows some social workers in the Ann Arbor-area, you go to UMich SSW for the research they offer. If you are mostly interested in clinical work, not macro work or SW research, it might not be the best to pay this much for a school that is so heavily research-focused. The rep it has for clinical training isn't the best compared to other schools in Michigan. ESPECIALLY since where you get your degree doesn't matter nearly as much as your experience in SW. I heard it's good for political social work, though.

PS: I highly recommend Sandra Momper if she teaches an MSW class while you're there! She's the best, and cares SO much about her students.

PSS (PPS?): If you can avoid it, DO NOT live in Ann Arbor itself. I personally pay $750 a month (plus utilities) for one room in a five bedroom apartment that's a 15 min walk to campus and not luxury by any means. Ann Arbor landlords are notoriously horrible. Not to mention that you're only going to campus for class and not your field placement which could be anywhere in like a three-hour radius from Ann Arbor. If you are gonna live in Ann Arbor, avoid the high-rises unless you wanna go bankrupt for shoddily-constructed "luxury" apartments. If you desperately need a high-rise apartment, go with University Towers. Has a bad reputation but it's honestly pretty close to the same quality as the other high-rises for less, not to mention free coffee/tea in the lobby, a pool and gym. I also recommend joining some undergrad Facebook groups because someone is always trying to sublet/give up their entire lease and people can get pretty desperate with the prices.

Your Student ID card allows you free unlimited bus rides and the buses go out to Ypsi. If you're willing to take a bus to the SSW instead of walking, live in Ypsi for half the cost and a much nicer place. There's stigma around Ypsi for being "dangerous" but that stigma is super racialized and you should be fine as long as you lock your doors and don't leave valuables in your car, which you should do anyways in Ann Arbor (if you want my rant about Ypsi's reputation DM me). Google Maps has all the bus routes programmed in, and you can put in possible apartments and see the buses that can take you to the SSW.

PSSS: Do not be afraid of a Detroit field placement. Detroit isn't as dangerous as the national reputation is. It has a similar racialized stigma as Ypsi and the reputation is only because of the white flight leaving poor Detroiters of color to survive on their own with absolutely no resources. The community is wonderful, there is amazing work being done and would be invaluable experience for your work. The joke that Detroit is a wasteland of crime is really just code for "there are a lot of poor black people." If you're by Wayne State you will be especially fine, they have a faster police response time than UofM and I've heard of Detroit police literally following you as you walk around the campus until you get to your destination. Just use common sense as you would in literally any other city. You're not going to be mugged every time you turn a corner. If you want my rant about Detroit you can also DM me lmao.

Edited by IPmsw2020
I keep thinking of things to add lol

If you did not receive a decent financial aid package from U-Michigan, I highly recommend asking for a financial aid re-review. I got my MSW from UM and I was initially offered $3,000/semester. I could not justify attending, so I reached out to Tim Colenback to see if there was a way to receive more aid. He told me about a re-review process and sent me the details via email. I had to fill out a worksheet with my info and how much additional aid I needed, and I also had to submit an essay (around 5-6 pages, I believe). I applied for the re-review in April and heard back in late May or early June. 

The re-review is kept very quiet. They don’t publicize it on their website which is a barrier for many folks and a form of gatekeeping. I highly recommend reaching out to Tim directly and inquiring about the re-review. I was able to receive around $7,000 more each semester than what I was initially awarded. No guarantees you’ll receive more aid, but it is worth a try. Many students will decline their offers which means more money will open up. 

Edited by BrendonSW

Really hoping to hear back from Columbia this week - at this point I don't think I would even attend because $$$$ but it feels like forever ago since I applied! 

After attending their info session remotely this weekend I'm beginning to seriously consider Pitt. It's just starting to feel like a really good fit for me, not to mention the fact that tuition is SIGNIFICANTLY less than the other programs I'm applying to. I have my Penn interview a week from today and I've considered it my top choice since visiting in September but now I feel way less pressure knowing I've been accepted to a school I could really see myself at. Is anyone familiar with the program/know someone who is? I'm having a hard time finding any discussion about Pitt across all forums. 

Edited by megan715

1 hour ago, amb22 said:

Has anyone had an interview with Johnna Marcus from UPenn? I have one with her tomorrow afternoon. Any and all tips are welcome even if you didn’t interview with her specifically! Thanks :)

I havent had mine yet, but I want to send good luck to your way!!

Also does anyone know if having an interview with UPenn means we have a higher chance to get in? I am assuming the answer is yes haha

2 hours ago, megan715 said:

Really hoping to hear back from Columbia this week - at this point I don't think I would even attend because $$$$ but it feels like forever ago since I applied! 

After attending their info session remotely this weekend I'm beginning to seriously consider Pitt. It's just starting to feel like a really good fit for me, not to mention the fact that tuition is SIGNIFICANTLY less than the other programs I'm applying to. I have my Penn interview a week from today and I've considered it my top choice since visiting in September but now I feel way less pressure knowing I've been accepted to a school I could really see myself at. Is anyone familiar with the program/know someone who is? I'm having a hard time finding any discussion about Pitt across all forums. 

Pitt has slowly changed from my last choice to my first.  I've been debating on going ahead and accepting my offer instead of waiting to hear from BU. More than likely I will probably wait though. I attended my 2nd information session this weekend, and it has reinforced my belief that the program is a good fit from me.  I've had the same issues trying find much discussion about Pitt's MSW program here or on Reddit.

On 2/4/2020 at 3:24 PM, ZoeD said:

The best advice I can give is to not get too in the weeds about stats and instead really focus on your essays. I graduated from a liberal arts school with an English major/Gov minor, 3.4 GPA. I did AmeriCorps in the South Bronx and now have been working in nonprofits and now advertising for three years. Aside from nannying and camp counseling, AmeriCorps was my only experience so I did a TON of research. Educated myself about evidence-based practices, clinical interventions, and found ones that I was interested in and then connected them to how I would use them in my future practice. I emphasized that I want to work with a specific population doing specific work, and that CSSW was the best place for me to learn how to do this. I also researched centers, professors, groups, etc that I would be interested in. Show them what you can give them but also be yourself. Essay question 3 is a great opportunity to do that. I would try to find the right balance between informed, idea-filled statements while still sharing who you are. 

Okay thank you so much!! I have tons of work experience in the field but I’m more so just worried about coming across as myself and just been overthinking the process! I have plans to speak otp with a professor so hopefully she will calm my nerves and I will mention her research program in my essay. It’s just overwhelming but hopefully it all works out! You got In for fall 20? 

13 hours ago, msw2020waiting said:

I havent had mine yet, but I want to send good luck to your way!!

Also does anyone know if having an interview with UPenn means we have a higher chance to get in? I am assuming the answer is yes haha

Penn interviews everyone who has a complete application 

30 minutes ago, Behaviorscience said:

So am I the only one that stalks the portal seeing if my decision has been uploaded? ?

I finally gave up on that last week LOL. I decided that if somethings going to happen, it’ll come in an email and I can have a panic attack then but there’s no point in driving me anymore insane than I’ve already been

4 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

I finally gave up on that last week LOL. I decided that if somethings going to happen, it’ll come in an email and I can have a panic attack then but there’s no point in driving me anymore insane than I’ve already been

Yeah I hear you!! lol

15 hours ago, Allanaj said:

Okay thank you so much!! I have tons of work experience in the field but I’m more so just worried about coming across as myself and just been overthinking the process! I have plans to speak otp with a professor so hopefully she will calm my nerves and I will mention her research program in my essay. It’s just overwhelming but hopefully it all works out! You got In for fall 20? 

Yes! I was accepted on Feb 3rd for Clinical Social Work with a focus on Children, Youth, and Families for Fall 2020. Just waiting on finc. aid but 99.9 percent sure I'll be attending. It seems like you've already done a lot of research, and speaking with a professor will be great. Remember that you have a lot to offer, too. I think everybody overthinks their essays a little bit. CU was my first app and I literally must have re-read mine five times before I hit submit. For the writing process, it helped me to go to the library or buckle down for 2-3 hours, and then take a long break and step away from it- similar to writing a paper for school. 

I highly recommend having a few people read your essays- maybe 2- too many can just make you overwhelmed. If you have friends/mentors in the field that could be a great option :-).