Joint MSW/PhD - Fall 2020 Entry

LisaOh

Hi all!

I wanted to start a thread for those applying to MSW/PhD programs.

I am currently considering applying to a ton of programs to increase my chances of acceptance. I already have an MPP. It looks like most programs want you to already have a masters prior to applying. I have also worked in healthcare and health policy for about 8 years. 

Stats, if interested:

- BS from Cornell. GPA: 3.4, but I was pre-med and took a ton of life science courses. Excellent grades in social science courses.

- MPP from Brown. They do not do GPA and only give whole letter grades (no +/-).

- GRE: V 162/ Q 157/ W 5.5  (V+Q 319)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all! I've been reading this forum for months but just created an account to be able to post today. I'm graduating with my BSW in May from the University of Indianapolis and I have applied to some MSW programs and some MSW/PhD programs for Fall 2020. 

Stats: 3.985 GPA, GRE: 157V, 150Q, 6.5AW. Two practicums & completing independent research project with Honors College. 

I applied to IUPUI for just an MSW on 11/19 - haven't heard back. 

I applied to UIC for just an MSW on 11/19 - heard back yesterday by calling their office to inquire about decision. Was accepted!! They told me they had *just* reviewed my file that day, so if you applied after 11/19, they probably haven't gotten to your file yet. 

Applied to UofM and UChicago for joint MSW/PhD on Dec 1 - haven't heard back. 

I'll keep everyone updated as things happen! So excited for all of us! 

Just to let you know, the GRE writing scale only goes to 6. Thought you may want to double check that you put the correct score on applications!

On 1/10/2020 at 8:17 AM, HannahJoy said:

Hey all! I've been reading this forum for months but just created an account to be able to post today. I'm graduating with my BSW in May from the University of Indianapolis and I have applied to some MSW programs and some MSW/PhD programs for Fall 2020. 

Stats: 3.985 GPA, GRE: 157V, 150Q, 6.5AW. Two practicums & completing independent research project with Honors College. 

I applied to IUPUI for just an MSW on 11/19 - haven't heard back. 

I applied to UIC for just an MSW on 11/19 - heard back yesterday by calling their office to inquire about decision. Was accepted!! They told me they had *just* reviewed my file that day, so if you applied after 11/19, they probably haven't gotten to your file yet. 

Applied to UofM and UChicago for joint MSW/PhD on Dec 1 - haven't heard back. 

I'll keep everyone updated as things happen! So excited for all of us! 

1 hour ago, LisaOh said:

Just to let you know, the GRE writing scale only goes to 6. Thought you may want to double check that you put the correct score on applications!

Oops. It must've been a 5.5 then. I sent my GRE scores directly so no worries on applications. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Applied for PhD in Social Work! I got invited for interviews at WUSTL and NYU for next week and I had an interview with BU last week! Still awaiting responses from Michigan and U of Chicago SSA.... Anyone else apply/hear from these schools? 

Hi All,

Applied for PhD in Social Work! I got invited for interviews at WUSTL and NYU for next week and I had an interview with BU last week! Still awaiting responses from Michigan and U of Chicago SSA.... Anyone else apply/hear from these schools? 

• 5 weeks later...

I have heard back from Chicago & Michigan. No luck on the combined/joint programs, but I have tentative acceptance into the masters program. So far, I only have been admitted to one full MSW/PhD program. I just received a call today from UCLA, and it sounds like they will be admitting me to the MSW program only as well.