2020 Application Thread for Communications Program

17 hours ago, fffighting said:

Hi Guys, I saw on the results board, two persons have accepted by the Ph.D. program at the University of Illinois. Does anyone know whether it is from the Department of Communication? 

Hi, I'm one of the two acceptances that have posted on the results board so far. I can confirm that this was from the Department of Communication. I don't know anything about the Institute for Communication Research, so I can't help there if that's what you're waiting on.

On 1/18/2020 at 10:02 AM, Teu474 said:

Hi, I'm one of the two acceptances that have posted on the results board so far. I can confirm that this was from the Department of Communication. I don't know anything about the Institute for Communication Research, so I can't help there if that's what you're waiting on.

Congrats!!! Thanks for letting me know. I also applied to the PhD program in the Department of Communication at UIUC, but I did not hear anything from them. So, I guess it is a rejection. Btw, can I know what your research interests are?

On 1/18/2020 at 6:31 AM, TerranceZ said:

Just curious if anyone heard from U Washington/Stanford/UPenn/USC?

I saw someone got interview from U Washington...cross my fingers...?

Do you know when did he/she receive the interview letter? From the department of communication? 

Edited by JIAYU SUN

18 minutes ago, JIAYU SUN said:

Do you know when did he/she receive the interview letter? From the department of communication? 

You can check the result board. I think that's where they posted it. 

8 hours ago, chidi321 said:

Has anyone heard anything from UPenn?

Someone posted on January 12th that they were asked to interview. I also applied to UPenn, but since I haven’t been asked to interview by now, I’m pretty certain that means I won’t receive an offer.

I’ve had a difficult time figuring out if all applicants under consideration for admission at the majority of most programs are asked to interview or not. I feel like programs switch things up depending on the admissions committee each cycle.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:24 PM, Rose Apothecary said:

Someone posted on January 12th that they were asked to interview. I also applied to UPenn, but since I haven’t been asked to interview by now, I’m pretty certain that means I won’t receive an offer.

I’ve had a difficult time figuring out if all applicants under consideration for admission at the majority of most programs are asked to interview or not. I feel like programs switch things up depending on the admissions committee each cycle.

That person, Kay13, is applying to bio programs; check their profile. Not sure why they posted here, maybe thinking that a uni releases all decisions/interviews at once. Joanne Murray sent out that application completion email which specified a date for admitted students to visit and ask questions, leading me to believe there won't be on-campus interviews for UPenn. Maybe phone, but we haven't had any information implying any interview invites have been sent regardless of format.

Something similar happened with Wisconsin-Madison in this thread -- the interviews posted earlier were for communication arts, a separate program from the mass communication offering. I'm certain that some people read it this way, but I sure didn't.

23 hours ago, JIAYU SUN said:

The result board shows it was Jan 14. Actually I also received an interview invitation from my POI on Jan 19. They said they had to decide on the finalist by the end of Jan... so I guess it leaves to the POI to decide if and when to have an interview...

Wondering if anyone has heard anything from Southern Cal, Cornell, or UC Santa Barbara? I'm assuming not or there would be something posted here/on the result board. Just feeling a bit wary about UCSB since it seems they usually send out interview requests by now. I did notice they changed the application deadline this year (from Dec. 1 to Jan. 1), so maybe it's just taking longer? Just looking for some solidarity :) Thanks everyone!

2 hours ago, peacecomm said:

Wondering if anyone has heard anything from Southern Cal, Cornell, or UC Santa Barbara? I'm assuming not or there would be something posted here/on the result board. Just feeling a bit wary about UCSB since it seems they usually send out interview requests by now. I did notice they changed the application deadline this year (from Dec. 1 to Jan. 1), so maybe it's just taking longer? Just looking for some solidarity :) Thanks everyone!

I haven't heard anything from Cornell and UCSB... Thanks for mentioning the change of deadline. Didn't know it was Dec 1 before.  

7 hours ago, peacecomm said:

UCSB doesn’t interview, they just send out an invitation to their open house. If you get one the spot is essentially yours to lose. I got my invitation last year on January 17th, and they had moved their deadline to January 1 last year too. I imagine with the fires this year that things might be a bit crazy. Good luck!

19 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

UCSB doesn’t interview, they just send out an invitation to their open house. If you get one the spot is essentially yours to lose. I got my invitation last year on January 17th, and they had moved their deadline to January 1 last year too. I imagine with the fires this year that things might be a bit crazy. Good luck!

This is helpful information. Thank you! Not feeling too hopeful about it at this point...

I was accepted to Wisconsin-Madison's mass comm program, with funding details to come in the next week. Now to sit around and wait for good money and/or good news from UPenn, Michigan State, UMich or UW Seattle. Pretty sure UW already passed me by, considering the previous interview posts.

4 hours ago, mediajinx said:

@Collatinus Is there a specifci POI you spoke with before applying that you're looking to work with?

I'm into political communication and computational methods, so Dhavan Shah and Young Mie Kim are high on my list. Lewis Friedland is similar, but I didn't contact him since a current student mentioned he may be retiring soon. I also namedropped Lucas Graves and Susan Robinson in my statement as critical journalism and ethnography are kinda relevant to my work.

Who are you aiming for? Also, if you had your pick, would you rather attend the Mass Comm or CommSci program? It's cool to see someone applying to both.

@Collatinus I'm looking more at narrative engagement and effects of popular culture on beliefs and behaviors, so I was talking with Karyn Riddle in Mass Comm, or Marie Louise Mares in Comm Sci. I like both programs for different reasons, but felt like I made a better connection in mass comm, and the program has a bit more freedom. My proposed reasearch doesn't completely overlap with current mass comm stuff, so it would be more of a "this professor is interested in this and could advise" vs. "this is exactly what they're doing." Crossing fingers. 

13 hours ago, Collatinus said:

I was accepted to Wisconsin-Madison's mass comm program, with funding details to come in the next week. Now to sit around and wait for good money and/or good news from UPenn, Michigan State, UMich or UW Seattle. Pretty sure UW already passed me by, considering the previous interview posts.

Congrats! Did you have phone interview before?

7 hours ago, JIAYU SUN said:

Congrats! Did you have phone interview before?

Technically? They asked for my # and a half hour timeslot, but that turned out to be a means of delivering my acceptance over the phone and asking if I had any questions. Not certain if they actually interviewed people around that time. Funding hasn't come out and it was with the graduate director and an advisor, so I assumed it was just letting some of the admits know?

@mediajinx

I can't remember which program accepts more people (MassComm?), but you sound like a great research fit for both. We should've had this conversation a week ago; Riddle was on the phone call when I was notified, I could've bugged her about possible advisees. If I get the opportunity during next contact and you haven't been notified I'll do some digging. Regardless, good luck. Hope to see you at Wisconsin

Edited by Collatinus