2020 Application Thread for Communications Program

4 hours ago, jzz155 said:

Hi all! Has anyone heard from FSU? My application status is still under review...Not sure if FSU has any interview or not.

I emailed one of my poi two weeks ago, and they said the decisions will be announced at the end of this month. 

16 hours ago, ffayo104 said:

I emailed one of my poi two weeks ago, and they said the decisions will be announced at the end of this month. 

Thank you for your information! Did they say they would have interviews or not?

8 hours ago, lklklklklk said:

I applied to WM (Mass comm), TAMU, UNM, UA.

WM - rejected / UNM - admitted 

Anyone heard from TAMU / U of Alabama?

Hi! Congrats on your admission into UNM!

I also applied to TAMU (health communication concentration). I had an interview in mid Jan and got the acceptance letter at the end of Jan. Good luck!!

@interdisciplinaryqueerio I heard from UCSD Comm early February and posted my Acceptance on the Results page. If you applied for Science Studies, my understanding is that those decisions are coming early March, but I'm not sure how that works... I had meant to apply for it and didn't check the box - heard back from Comm and asked them to consider me for Science Studies as well. 

@BlueSkyy I'm still waiting on Oregon, Georgia, and Austin. Not expecting to get into Austin, though they've emailed me a few times in the past week about my undergrad trascript and timing on degree, so maybe I'll wind up on their waitlist? Didn't interview or anything with Oregon or Georgia, so those seem unlikely, but you never know. 

On 2/20/2020 at 11:45 AM, imapostersyndrome said:

@interdisciplinaryqueerio I heard from UCSD Comm early February and posted my Acceptance on the Results page. If you applied for Science Studies, my understanding is that those decisions are coming early March, but I'm not sure how that works... I had meant to apply for it and didn't check the box - heard back from Comm and asked them to consider me for Science Studies as well. 

Thank you! Just to clarify, do you mean that people who applied to the general Comm program with the Science Studies option/add-on won't hear about their overall admission decision until early March? That makes me more optimistic, as its still radio silence from them for me ?

Also, congrats so much on your admission! Hopefully we may have the chance to be colleagues ?

On 2/20/2020 at 4:50 PM, mediajinx said:

@BlueSkyy I'm still waiting on Oregon, Georgia, and Austin. Not expecting to get into Austin, though they've emailed me a few times in the past week about my undergrad trascript and timing on degree, so maybe I'll wind up on their waitlist? Didn't interview or anything with Oregon or Georgia, so those seem unlikely, but you never know. 

Yes, I did have an interview in early February, and they called me about a week ago reiterating the acceptance. I have a few schools that I'm waiting on too. It is my belief that they don't want to state that it is a waitlist or rejection yet, so they don't say anything? I could definitely be wrong though. As for Georgia and Austin, I did not apply to either of those schools!

On 12/3/2019 at 8:03 PM, PepeTheStrange said:

Looking at rhetoric programs with a cultural studies presence, here. Applying to:

- Penn State

- Arizona State

- University of Georgia

- UNC Chapel Hill

- University of Minnesota

- Colorado-Boulder

- Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Half way through the applications, though one is due tonight and one of my LORs hasn't been uploaded yet. I'm worried that that is going to be a regular issue on the rest of them ?

Did you hear back from Milwaukee, yet? I am finishing my MA and applied to the PhD. Heard the cohort is going to be very small this year!

Has anyone heard from North Carolina State (Communication, Rhetoric, and Digital Media)? Or Louisiana State (Communication Studies)? Both applications still marked "Departmental Review" and its getting late, anyone with past experience know if they do "Shadow" wait lists? 

I've heard from others:

Colorado State - "Well placed on the wait list"

UT-Austin - admit, funding hasn't been decided yet.

Memphis - Admission and funding

Milwaukee - Admission and Funding

On 2/28/2020 at 2:04 PM, nrrhetoric said:

Did you hear back from Milwaukee, yet? I am finishing my MA and applied to the PhD. Heard the cohort is going to be very small this year!

Sorry, was locked out of my account for some reason and then didn't check the thread for a week.

I did hear back from Milwaukee about a week ago (accepted, no word on funding). Through the grapevine I heard that, at the time, not all decisions were made - I can NOT confirm this, so take it for what it's worth.

Of those on that list, there were application issues with Georgia so I can't comment on the status there. I have NOT heard back from Colorado-Boulder. 

AH! Nevermind anyway...just saw your second post there. Congrats!

Edited by PepeTheStrange

Hi Guys, 

I realize this is more of an application update chain but wanted some pointers on my situation

I am currently wait listed by the Penn State Communications department for a PhD. Although they seem optimistic and assure me that I am high up on their list, unfortunately, in my situation my POI hasn't joined the faculty as of yet-he is to join them in fall of 2020. So as a result, he is not and will not be able to argue for my case with the current admissions committee. 

If anyone is privy to any wait-list statistics specifically from this school and can give me advice on what to do in my situation I would really appreciate it. 

On 2/19/2020 at 12:21 PM, ffayo104 said:

Hi, did you receive any decision from FSU? 

5 hours ago, Yiwei said:

Hi, did you receive any decision from FSU? 

Not yet. I had an interview with the admission committee on Tuesday and they said decisions will be made next week.