Writing Sample Exchange

PossumTheCat

I have seen a few threads dedicated to editing writing samples with specific areas. I thought I would start one for exchanging papers between applicants on any philosophical topic.

My writing sample is about Modal Realism.

I could read and edit any paper. I could understand any contemporary analytic philosophy paper. I would only be able to look for spelling/grammar issues in papers about the history of philosophy, or say existentialism, or Taoism.

Anyways, if I am not a good match, post anyways and perhaps someone else will come along.

Hey Man, I'd be willing to swap writing samples. I have solid undergraduate level knowledge of the literature on Modal Realism, and would love to take a peek at yours.  My write sample concerns Phil of Language and Epistemology: eg norms of assertions, and semantic theories of knowledge and certainty (e.g. contextualism). Although, I still have quite of bit of edits, another pair of eyes wont hurt. Pm if you're interested.

Hi, I’d be glad to swap writing samples too (to both of you). I get some basic undergrad understanding of modal realism (my AOI is on dispositional account of modality anyway). Though I am not sure if I can provide substantial advice... My writing sample concerns the semantic analysis of disposition and dispositional account of modality. I am not a native English speaker... Probably get some typos or grammatical issues. I would be extremely thankful to any suggestions. Just pm me if you are interested.

I would also be happy to swap writing samples (with all three of you). Mine is at the intersection of normative epistemology and the philosophy of mind, with a bit of possible world semantics and epistemic logic thrown into the mix - feel free to PM me if anyone would like to swap.

I love that you all are working together. This is exactly what this board needs.

I had this resource with my colleagues at my MA in philosophy, since we were all applying out at the same time.

One thing that is critical you need to negotiate: a deadline back, well in advance of your first app being due! Just unsolicited advice! Good luck!

AkraticAgent,

I will message you after I have finished this first round of edits as per the feedback of some of the others in this thread.

Duns Eith,

Unsolicited but welcome advice. Also, you're invited to read our samples if only out of love for reading philosophical works under 6,000 words!

Hi all, 

I have already submitted my apps, so I am not looking for feedback on my own sample, but I would be happy to look at a paper for anyone who might need it.

In terms of subject matter: I can be of most help with papers on (1) Plato or Aristotle or (2) contemporary or historical aesthetics or philosophy of literature. I can be of some help with papers in Ancient Greek philosophy more generally, French continental philosophy, or contemporary or historical philosophy of education. 

In terms of methodology and language: in my own sample, I tried to incorporate both analytic and continental perspectives on the relevant topic. So, I would be able to comment on papers using either or both approaches to the subject matter. I am a native English speaker so papers written in English would be ideal, but I could comment on papers which use source material in French or Ancient Greek.

If anyone has a paper that fits into the areas I could help with, just message me.

Good luck to everyone!

On 11/22/2019 at 5:09 AM, RurouniKenny said:

Hey Man, I'd be willing to swap writing samples. I have solid undergraduate level knowledge of the literature on Modal Realism, and would love to take a peek at yours.  My write sample concerns Phil of Language and Epistemology: eg norms of assertions, and semantic theories of knowledge and certainty (e.g. contextualism). Although, I still have quite of bit of edits, another pair of eyes wont hurt. Pm if you're interested.

I'm a non-native English speaker hoping to apply next year and my interests lie in somewhere similar like yours. I've started my preparation now. Hope that we can have some useful discussions!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm already in a PhD program, but I'm on break for a couple of weeks. So, I can try and read through some of yall's samples. My area is phil of mind, computation, science, biology and I do a bit of feminist philosophy (limited). I recently did a presentation of D Lewis's and Stalnaker's modal realism, so I could possible be help with that. DM if anyone wants help. Also, if I get bombarded (probably won't) I might have to just do FIFO  (first in, first out - sorry I was an accountant in a previous life haha), :/, sorry!

On 11/25/2019 at 4:02 PM, platonetsocrate said:

Hi all, 

I have already submitted my apps, so I am not looking for feedback on my own sample, but I would be happy to look at a paper for anyone who might need it.

In terms of subject matter: I can be of most help with papers on (1) Plato or Aristotle or (2) contemporary or historical aesthetics or philosophy of literature. I can be of some help with papers in Ancient Greek philosophy more generally, French continental philosophy, or contemporary or historical philosophy of education. 

In terms of methodology and language: in my own sample, I tried to incorporate both analytic and continental perspectives on the relevant topic. So, I would be able to comment on papers using either or both approaches to the subject matter. I am a native English speaker so papers written in English would be ideal, but I could comment on papers which use source material in French or Ancient Greek.

If anyone has a paper that fits into the areas I could help with, just message me.

Good luck to everyone!

Hi platonetsocrate

I am willing to send you my papers. They both are in the area of Environmental/Applied Ethics, to be precise on Global warming and Animal Rights. Could you help? I am applying for Fall 2020, when will I likely get feedbacks?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 7:31 PM, jurisdoctor said:

I wrote on the philosophy of law — it was a paper adapted from a directed research project that I am also looking at getting published. Any fellow legal folks have an sample they wouldn’t mind sharing/swapping?

I wrote in legal epistemology last year. Have we talked about this before? If not you should message me!