Interview Advice

NewSeason

10 hours ago, pranali said:

Hello! So, I am a little confused about appropriate interview outfits- some sources mention a conservative, formal attire whereas others say that people don't really care as long as it's not too flashy. One website even said that wearing sneakers was okay. In short, on the spectrum of jeans, blouse, (possibly a blazer)and ballet flats to a full of pant suit with medium heeled pumps, what dress code is appropriate for clinical or counseling psychology interviews? Thank you! 

Honestly, it's far worse of a problem if you are under-dressed than overdressed. Clinical psych tends to skew more formal than not. However, neutral ballet flats are just as professional as medium heeled pumps, so do whatever is more comfortable in that regard (I say this as a woman who hates heels and is in the northeast where we dress in suits for every externship interview as well). Blouse, blazer, and dress pants are usually going to be acceptable in lieu of a matching suit (pants, skirt, or dress). I would strongly advise against jeans. Save those for a social dinner or other more casual event during interview weekend. 

3 minutes ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

Honestly, it's far worse of a problem if you are under-dressed than overdressed. Clinical psych tends to skew more formal than not. However, neutral ballet flats are just as professional as medium heeled pumps, so do whatever is more comfortable in that regard (I say this as a woman who hates heels and is in the northeast where we dress in suits for every externship interview as well). Blouse, blazer, and dress pants are usually going to be acceptable in lieu of a matching suit (pants, skirt, or dress). I would strongly advise against jeans. Save those for a social dinner or other more casual event during interview weekend. 

Thank you! This really helps clear some of the confusion. 

On 12/22/2019 at 1:48 PM, pranali said:

Hello! So, I am a little confused about appropriate interview outfits- some sources mention a conservative, formal attire whereas others say that people don't really care as long as it's not too flashy. One website even said that wearing sneakers was okay. In short, on the spectrum of jeans, blouse, (possibly a blazer)and ballet flats to a full of pant suit with medium heeled pumps, what dress code is appropriate for clinical or counseling psychology interviews? Thank you! 

Agree with others who said it’s better to be overdressed. That said, almost everyone at my interviews wore a blazer and dress pants rather than an actual suit. Heels probably look more professional, but flats or nice boots are fine (especially if you’ll be in snowy/icy cities).

Have a response ready in case you get asked about what thesis/dissertation idea you might like to pursue. Did not find the question appropriate/fair but I did get it so would recommend to prepare for it just in case.

Also, be sure to let yourself behave naturally, without being a super professional robot who doesn't know how to be casual. A big thing PIs and current grad students consider is personal fit with them, so although it may sound cliche - be yourself (well, the most social version of yourself).

23 minutes ago, psychhealth101 said:

Have a response ready in case you get asked about what thesis/dissertation idea you might like to pursue. Did not find the question appropriate/fair but I did get it so would recommend to prepare for it just in case.

Also, be sure to let yourself behave naturally, without being a super professional robot who doesn't know how to be casual. A big thing PIs and current grad students consider is personal fit with them, so although it may sound cliche - be yourself (well, the most social version of yourself).

I think the thesis/disseration question is partly a gauge of fit, an understanding of that you know what research is about and whether you have reasonable expectations. Don't mind it that much because it's not like you ACTUALLY have to do that project.

Be yourself also because you want to work with someone who likes YOU for who you are. Fit goes both ways.