Interview Advice

NewSeason

> Be professional and prepared. Don't make inappropriate jokes, don't discuss things like politics (particularly if you are very conservative, psych is a liberal stronghold...), don't act sexist (the last two I've seen happen). Dress the part, but don't worry about it too much, you will not be judged on your outfit unless it is very misplaced.

> Be prepared to talk about the topics you are interested in, maybe a recent paper that came out, your work style, your strengths, etc.  

>Obviously read some things about the PIs research, but also see what his/her grad students are doing. You will probably spend quite some time with grad students and they can also make or break you (if they really dislike you) - and may be your future collaborators. It doesn't mean you have to be super extrovert, but do take time for people during lunch break etc. 

> Although you want to let the school know you are interested in them, no need to be tooooooo enchanted

> Do not talk bad about other people/schools, this is unprofessional. 

Also make sure you have questions to ask; what do you want to know about the school? PI (work style etc.)? It is also a way for you to show that you understand what graduate school is about. It is as much an opportunity for you to interview  them as it is for them to interview you

Hi folks,

i had a preliminary phone interview last night and am wondering if it’s common practice to send thank-you note. I was very appreciative of the opportunity but also don’t want to come across as too eager if a note after the informal interview is not expected. What do folks think? Thanks!

1 hour ago, HanClee said:

Hi folks,

i had a preliminary phone interview last night and am wondering if it’s common practice to send thank-you note. I was very appreciative of the opportunity but also don’t want to come across as too eager if a note after the informal interview is not expected. What do folks think? Thanks!

Personally, I always think it's a great idea to send a thank you email after interviews! It reminds them of who you are, and that you actually do care about the program. I wouldn't say it's too eager at all, and who cares if it does come across that way? It's better than the opposite, which is coming across as not interested!

Just make sure your thank you note isn't generic. Mention something that came up in the conversation (i.e. "I loved hearing more about xyz, and I think it'd be a great opportunity..etc etc"), that way they specifically remember you :)

1 hour ago, HanClee said:

Hi folks,

I always send a thank you! Just something simple and short, but I like to mention one specific thing that I appreciated (e.g., "Thank you so much for taking the time to thoroughly answer my questions").

Good luck to everyone! 

I agree with all the previous posters. 

And try to have fun! Of course be professional and appropriate, but don’t be afraid to show your personality. PIs and grad students are looking for someone they want to spend the next 5+ years with, and personality fit can go a long way. I strongly believe that my acceptances were due to connecting well with PIs because I was not the strongest applicant on paper. 

Edited by PsycUndergrad

Hi! I don't know if this really counts as interview advice but I wasn't sure where this question would belong. I was just wondering if it is normal for people to travel to an interview with a friend or do most people go alone? I know that you wouldn't bring anyone to the socials or ask to have someone else stay with a graduate student host but I was just wondering what was common. 

57 minutes ago, Psych1st said:

Hi! I don't know if this really counts as interview advice but I wasn't sure where this question would belong. I was just wondering if it is normal for people to travel to an interview with a friend or do most people go alone? I know that you wouldn't bring anyone to the socials or ask to have someone else stay with a graduate student host but I was just wondering what was common. 

I don't know that I would bring a friend but I guess it's personal preference. You want your head in the game, and I think having a friend there would throw me off. I'm married and would maybe have my husband come to check out the places we might live, but with the understanding that all university related events take priority and that I wouldn't be with him much to explore until after the interview. Also if the program knew that you brought a tag-a-long I wonder if they would get a weird vibe from that? 

1 hour ago, Psych1st said:

I think it really depends on the person's role. Like I came a bit early and stayed a bit longer, but just stayed with my friend the day not covered and spend time with her. I also don't think its weird to travel with someone else who is going to that directly (even common if you know what person), although you wouldn't be able to ask the university for accomodation for your friend or a flight (i.e., if youre in a hotel, you'll probably room with someone).

You should however not involve him/her in any university related events. It's really a sort of interview-like experience (partly). University tries to recruit you, while simultaneously evaluating whether they want to spend money on you (because thats what it is). 

21 hours ago, Psych1st said:

I wouldn't say it's "weird," but I'm not sure why you would want to do this. You will be busy for most of the days that you are there, so it's not like you'd be able to hang out with your friend much, and as you probably already know your friend would not be able to get hotel/flight reimbursed nor attend any of the events with you. 

Like somebody else said, I think it'd be more worthwhile to take your partner, IF you are planning on moving with a partner that is. 

5 minutes ago, lolhelp said:

I wouldn't say it's "weird," but I'm not sure why you would want to do this. You will be busy for most of the days that you are there, so it's not like you'd be able to hang out with your friend much, and as you probably already know your friend would not be able to get hotel/flight reimbursed nor attend any of the events with you. 

Like somebody else said, I think it'd be more worthwhile to take your partner, IF you are planning on moving with a partner that is. 

That makes sense! My partner is considering moving with me so I thought it might be nice to let him explore. I'll also be driving instead of flying so I'm not too worried about reimbursement for this interview. I think I will see what the weekend's schedule is like first, I can definitely understand why it is more common to travel alone!

4 hours ago, ineedcoffee said:

I'm sure this has been asked before -- but any advice on prelim phone/Skype interviews? How prepared should I be in terms of knowing the POI's work? TIA!

I usually read 2-3 papers, 3-5 abstracts, like 10 article titles, and prepare answers to questions I anticipate being asked.

14 hours ago, traumaandhope said:

What are common questions that you've encountered in phone/Skype interviews?

I'll include some broad/common ones here, as i don't want to give away everyone's specific questions. Anyone can DM me for more questions, though :)

1. Why do you want to go to (school)? Why do you want to work with me?
  2. Why do you want to go to grad school (in general?)
  3. What are your research interests, broadly? What topics interest you?
  4. What are you looking for in a lab/mentor? What type of mentoring style do you like?
  5. Tell me about some research you've conducted. (Be prepared to talk about everything from why the study came into existence, to methods, analyses, what came out of it [e.g., a publication, presentation, it's in progress, etc.])
  6. What research projects would you be interested in doing / what are your research/study ideas?
  7. What do you want to do after completing your PhD? (e.g., become a prof, go into clinical, industry, whatever)
  8. Do you have any questions for me? (make sure you have questions prepared!)

On 12/17/2019 at 12:00 PM, SocialPsych2018 said:

I'll include some broad/common ones here, as i don't want to give away everyone's specific questions. Anyone can DM me for more questions, though :)

1. Why do you want to go to (school)? Why do you want to work with me?
  2. Why do you want to go to grad school (in general?)
  3. What are your research interests, broadly? What topics interest you?
  4. What are you looking for in a lab/mentor? What type of mentoring style do you like?
  5. Tell me about some research you've conducted. (Be prepared to talk about everything from why the study came into existence, to methods, analyses, what came out of it [e.g., a publication, presentation, it's in progress, etc.])
  6. What research projects would you be interested in doing / what are your research/study ideas?
  7. What do you want to do after completing your PhD? (e.g., become a prof, go into clinical, industry, whatever)
  8. Do you have any questions for me? (make sure you have questions prepared!)

That's great info! Thank you. This is my first round, so I was just curious what to expect. I hadn't heard about the informal interviews until after submitting applications and finding this site. I haven't applied to any of the same schools, so the general questions are perfect. 

Yes it's fine to send a thank you email.

ALSO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE QUESTIONS TO ASK. know your needs too. It also makes you come across as prepared. Ask things about the participant pool. Ask things about the if you have access to RAs. General lab culture (e.g., are people friendly, collaborate, etc.)

I've been pretty active on this site today.. sorry if you're tired of seeing my posts, haha! But, should I be in touch with my POI between an interview invite and the interview? They gave me their cell phone number and their email and said I could ask them questions. I don't know what questions to ask at this point? I obviously want to know the details about interview weekend but it's still so early that asking about those things seems too early. I also just want to let them know how excited I am about their program, but emailing that without a question feels weird as well. I know I'm over thinking it but I really like this program. 

3 minutes ago, Psych1st said:

I've been pretty active on this site today.. sorry if you're tired of seeing my posts, haha! But, should I be in touch with my POI between an interview invite and the interview? They gave me their cell phone number and their email and said I could ask them questions. I don't know what questions to ask at this point? I obviously want to know the details about interview weekend but it's still so early that asking about those things seems too early. I also just want to let them know how excited I am about their program, but emailing that without a question feels weird as well. I know I'm over thinking it but I really like this program. 

No worries, I believe most of us are pretty antsy at this point :)

To answer your question - I would not get in touch with the POI unless you have something specific and relevant to ask. Even then, I would keep it short.

The POI knows who you are, clearly is interested in you, they won't forget you if you don't communicate much in the meantime. 

I would send a thank you note for the interview invite (if you haven't already) to let them know how excited you are and appreciate the consideration of your application. 

If you still want to keep an open line to her/ him, you could ask about: reading about their most recent research/ not yet published or getting in touch with some of their grad students.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

Hello! So, I am a little confused about appropriate interview outfits- some sources mention a conservative, formal attire whereas others say that people don't really care as long as it's not too flashy. One website even said that wearing sneakers was okay. In short, on the spectrum of jeans, blouse, (possibly a blazer)and ballet flats to a full of pant suit with medium heeled pumps, what dress code is appropriate for clinical or counseling psychology interviews? Thank you! 

4 hours ago, pranali said:

Hello! So, I am a little confused about appropriate interview outfits- some sources mention a conservative, formal attire whereas others say that people don't really care as long as it's not too flashy. One website even said that wearing sneakers was okay. In short, on the spectrum of jeans, blouse, (possibly a blazer)and ballet flats to a full of pant suit with medium heeled pumps, what dress code is appropriate for clinical or counseling psychology interviews? Thank you! 

I’d like advice on this too! I have a great suit but am overthinking it now and wondering if it’s too intense to wear a suit ?

Edited by fixology