Fall 2020 Statistics Applicant Thread

ENE1

This is probably a bit premature but I figured I'd start it anyway. Feel free to share any information on your admission - offers, rejections, waitlists, interviews etc. Looks like UoT has started giving offers already and based on previous years, offers from US unis might start coming in the next week or so.

Also, if anyone is wondering about what the interviews are like, I've tried to collect all of the relevant information from the maths & stats subforum into this document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1epem4r5loco8ZZwJNodjZun2JReXNXIm0RiTPBeiq6s/edit

Hope it helps.

I'm glad you started the thread! I think only one or two of the programs I applied to do interviews, but that doc you linked is really helpful. I've been on a few visits, and my experience talking with faculty mirrors the responses that you've collected. 

Undergrad Institution: University of Western Ontario (Canada)
Major(s): Financial Statistics
Minor(s): NA
GPA: 4.0
Type of Student: International

GRE General Test:
Q:
 NA
V: NA
W: NA

TOEFL Score: NA

Grad Institution: Same
Concentration: Statistics (Astrostatistics)
GPA: 4.0

Programs Applying: Statistics

Research Experience: One undergrad honors thesis (resulted in publication but not an author :( ); One MSc thesis, Two manuscripts under way for submission for publication; 
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Nothing significant
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA
Letters of Recommendation: One very strong letter from main supervisor (big name in time series/data analysis); One strong from co-supervisor in astronomy (big name in astronomy)
Math/Statistics Grades:  Calculus sequence (100); Math stats/Probability theory (90+); Real Analysis I (98), Real Analysis II (taking it now)
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: My interest is very niche, probably helped my apps a lot

Applying to Where: University of Toronto (It's my top choice and it sent me offer before I submitted apps for other schools, so not applying to any other schools anymore)
UofT- Statistics/ Admitted / (Dec 13) / Accepted

Edited by davidolohowski

Just recieved an unexpected admission to Waterloo (MMath statistics), no communication yet but portal has updated. No information on terms and funding yet but the portal suggests that there will be an area for that information coming later. Canadian citizen + Canadian undergrad. 

Congrats to @davidolohowski! 

Outside of the schools that allow you to upload updated transcripts (UNC/Columbia/etc.) or otherwise have a system in place to input fall grades (Harvard/etc.), and excluding the schools who explicitly ask you for your fall grades as well, should I otherwise contact admissions to ask if I can submit my fall grades in some way? I'm thinking I might just send an email to the admissions committee's regardless, excluding the schools who explicitly do not want fall grades of course (think just Washington for me).

I think(?) you'd want to go through the director of graduate studies rather than the admission committee, but you're welcome to ask them.  I should note for anyone else that unless the school specifically asks for your fall grades, you don't need to send them, so it's only really worth sending fall grades if they're to your benefit.  

In general, you shouldn't consider no response a rejection so early.  Maybe not immediately, but if some folks turn down interviews, then they may invite more to keep similar numbers of interviewees.  Alternatively, if enough people turned them down after interviews then they may look at the top people they didn't invite out.  Those are possible even if they hope to interview anyone they're interested in and they invite everyone at once, which as you note aren't necessarily the case.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an acceptance from NCSU (Stats PhD). I am pleased, but also now very anxious about hearing from others now that I know they're starting to make offers - I thought I had a little more time before I had to start worrying!

Applied to: UCLA, UCI, UC Davis, UC Berkeley, NCSU, Duke, Harvard, Caltech (all Stats PhD's, except Caltech CMS).

Edited by mathfriend
additional information

Congrats @mathfriend and @captivatingCA

I can't wait for offers to come out - I think I'm worrying a lot more now before offers have come out than afterwards.

Oh and here's the list of unis I applied to (all stat PhD):

UC Davis, UC Berkeley, UW, Duke, Harvard, CMU, Penn State, Colorado State.

7 hours ago, bayessays said:

First Ohio State acceptance is up on the results page. Have any of you heard back from them?  They usually send in waves over a couple weeks.

Still waiting to hear back from them. Hoping for a positive response as they asked me to submit the missing items in my app asap.

@likewater I was invited over the phone and received an email with details later.

@the97kid I think this thread is just for discussing applications and results, so it would be a good idea to start a new thread to get your profile evaluated. With that said, I think people may express some concern about your GRE scores. I think most Canadian universities don't require it, so it may not matter. I can't say much else though since I'm just an applicant myself. Good luck!

@captivatingCA Thank you so much. Yes Canadian universities do not require GRE score. I had to take that exam because I will be applying to just one US university as well. Texas Tech.

Asking just out of curiosity since I see that we are in the same field. Does Texas A & M have Biostatistics?