Fall 2020 Statistics Applicant Thread

ENE1

5 minutes ago, bstat6 said:

Sure - I received the email on Saturday morning and yes it was from Professor Keenan. We have been in contact since I was previously waitlisted.

Thanks. I am also on the waitlist and didn't know if I should still wait.

2 hours ago, StatRe said:

Thanks. I am also on the waitlist and didn't know if I should still wait.

He said there is a slim chance that things may change in the coming weeks, but if you need to respond to other offers by April 15th then to do so. 

16 hours ago, StatYHC said:

Hi everyone,

Congratulations to those who already got offers and fingers crossed to those who are still waiting for ones! This year is my third times applying for Stat/Biostat PhD and it finally works out!

Currently I have to make decisions among the two schools:

(1) Michigan State U - Department of Statistics and Probability 

(2) Iowa State U - Department of Statistics

I'm wondering if there is anyone happen to know the situations in either programs and is willing to give some  insights. From the information I've collected, it seems MSU have some nice academic placements considering its rank. Also, Lansing is a larger city compared to Ames, which may be helpful for getting an intern chance (not sure about this). On the other hand, ISU has a good and traditional reputation among statistics field but it seems its rank on us news has a downward trend over the recent decade. Any advice/analysis would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

I also wonder too.

On 4/18/2020 at 9:11 AM, Casorati said:

Is anyone still waiting on UNC Biostatistics PhD? I emailed them on the 16th but still haven't received a reply.

Hey! Yes, I am waiting on UNC Biostats as well. I emailed them a long time back and then they had replied back that they would send out their decisions soon but then no communication after that. Well, at this point I do not have much hope and as I saw in this portal that many people have already received admits and there is even a Facebook page created by the accepted students

On 4/13/2020 at 2:28 PM, bstat6 said:

He said there is a slim chance that things may change in the coming weeks, but if you need to respond to other offers by April 15th then to do so. 

Same here. I was also told the same thing by UNC Stats. Already accepted an offer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Hope you all are safe and doing well! 

Wanted to ask those who have accepted an offer for Fall 2020, whether they have received any communication from the university/department regarding the starting of Fall session due to the current pandemic?

I have heard from few of my friends that their program has decided on the two option:

1. Start online classes but will have to pay in-state tuition (Although their programs are fully funded and as long as they dont reach the the US they cannot receive their stipend and tuition waiver)  

2. Defer their admission to either Spring 2021 or Fall 2021. All other conditions of their offer would still be valid if they defer admission.

I have accepted my offer at TAMU, however, I have not yet received any such communication, except for the response from the department that they plan to begin in-person classes in Fall.

Is there anyone else who have received such communication or any other advice from their programs?

PS: As I am an International student and currently the US embassy is closed and not issuing student visa, apart from ban on International travel currently I wonder if it would be possible for me to start in-person classes if at all in-person classes begin in Fall.

Edited by AC1
Mistakenly posted before completing

On 5/11/2020 at 4:25 AM, AC1 said:

Hi everyone! Hope you all are safe and doing well! 

Wanted to ask those who have accepted an offer for Fall 2020, whether they have received any communication from the university/department regarding the starting of Fall session due to the current pandemic?

I have heard from few of my friends that their program has decided on the two option:

1. Start online classes but will have to pay in-state tuition (Although their programs are fully funded and as long as they dont reach the the US they cannot receive their stipend and tuition waiver)  

2. Defer their admission to either Spring 2021 or Fall 2021. All other conditions of their offer would still be valid if they defer admission.

I have accepted my offer at TAMU, however, I have not yet received any such communication, except for the response from the department that they plan to begin in-person classes in Fall.

Is there anyone else who have received such communication or any other advice from their programs?

PS: As I am an International student and currently the US embassy is closed and not issuing student visa, apart from ban on International travel currently I wonder if it would be possible for me to start in-person classes if at all in-person classes begin in Fall.

This is pretty tough and such a terrible situation. I guess if it were me, I would see if I could take out a student loan to pay the in-state tuition until you arrive in the US and TAMU can pay you the stipend in back pay. You'd have to pay back a little interest, but provided you could start in-person Spring 2021, it wouldn't be too bad.

The issue with starting in Spring it would seem is that generally grad school classes depend on the previous semester's classes. So you would probably have to take all electives in Spring that have no prerequisites (if this is even possible). Pretty much all electives across stats departments require Casella Berger I and II, so I'm not sure what benefit there would be to starting in Spring.