Fall 2020 Statistics Applicant Thread

ENE1

On 2/28/2020 at 1:24 PM, DanielWarlock said:

Nothing for me. But I'm just waiting for Columbia. Anyone heard anything? Seems like a bunch of guys got interviews. Do they always need to interview people? Is it over?

It seems like they've sent out their offer on Friday. Two of my friends got accepted. I'm an international applicant.

I haven't heard anything from UC Davis, TAMU, NCSU or UNC (all Statistics PhD). I've seen a lot of rejections, waitlists and acceptances for NCSU, but I haven't heard anything. Is it worth reaching out to ask the status on any of these places or is it still too early? Do you think there will be another round of admits/rejects? Thanks all! Congratulations to those who already have offers and fingers crossed to those who are still waiting!

Edited by dairyqueen

32 minutes ago, dddpppp said:

It seems like they've sent out their offer on Friday. Two of my friends got accepted. I'm an international applicant.

Man Are you from Fudan mathematics? I really want to go to Columbia. I'd like to trade my offers at Harvard or Berkeley for Columbia, if only it is possible. It is so brutal..

Edited by DanielWarlock

4 minutes ago, DanielWarlock said:

I'd like to trade my offers at Harvard or Berkeley for Columbia, if only it is possible. It is so brutal..

Hey, is there any evidence that it's not possible? I suggest contacting the Harvard and Berkeley departments and telling them just that. Maybe they can arrange something :^)

10 hours ago, dairyqueen said:

I haven't heard anything from UC Davis, TAMU, NCSU or UNC (all Statistics PhD). I've seen a lot of rejections, waitlists and acceptances for NCSU, but I haven't heard anything. Is it worth reaching out to ask the status on any of these places or is it still too early? Do you think there will be another round of admits/rejects? Thanks all! Congratulations to those who already have offers and fingers crossed to those who are still waiting!

Didn't apply to UCD, but got rejection very early from NCSU. I emailed TAMU and UNC in mid Feb and all they said was something along the line of "we're still reviewing applications and can't give an answer"

UNC had their campus visit on Feb 21 (one of my friends went and told me they were about to send out 2nd round offers soon). Some mid-range schools like UTAustin told me they are about to send out 2nd round offers in March. So I guess there's definitely more coming. Tbh I have no clue about TAMU, they said they still sent out offers until May. Anybody here got accepted? What's their response deadline? 

On 2/14/2020 at 8:45 PM, balr41 said:

Waitlisted to Harvard biostat today. Not very hopeful but does anybody ever get accepted from it?

Harvard took several people from the waitlist last year.  It all depends on the offers and how they go.

I got offers from Virginia tech and Micigan state univ. I think vt focuses on very applied aspect and msu focuses on prob theory. Their funding offers are very similar also. Can you give me any advice about environment, department, job placement and anything else for me? I would be really appreciated it.

17 minutes ago, Cofcof said:

I got offers from Virginia tech and Micigan state univ. I think vt focuses on very applied aspect and msu focuses on prob theory. Their funding offers are very similar also. Can you give me any advice about environment, department, job placement and anything else for me? I would be really appreciated it.

I'm not so sure about VT, but MSU seems to have some pretty good academic placements. I've seen/met some of their PhD alumni working at decent Math & Statistics departments like Arizona State University and University of Florida. I would recommend sending an e-mail to the Graduate Coordinators of these schools asking about job placements. Any department that doesn't readily provide such information should be a red flag, IMO.

Someone last year mentioned that a large number of students at VT fail their quals and are kicked out, I think. Maybe check into whether that's true.

Agreed with above about MSU - I see their alums placed into good academic jobs all the time for a department that is not ranked super high.

2 hours ago, Stat PhD Now Postdoc said:

I'm not so sure about VT, but MSU seems to have some pretty good academic placements. I've seen/met some of their PhD alumni working at decent Math & Statistics departments like Arizona State University and University of Florida. I would recommend sending an e-mail to the Graduate Coordinators of these schools asking about job placements. Any department that doesn't readily provide such information should be a red flag, IMO.

26 minutes ago, bayessays said:

Someone last year mentioned that a large number of students at VT fail their quals and are kicked out, I think. Maybe check into whether that's true.

Agreed with above about MSU - I see their alums placed into good academic jobs all the time for a department that is not ranked super high.

I appreciate both! I need to find out more about them. Thank you so much and I always appreciate your information and advice.

16 hours ago, Cofcof said:

Hi, can I ask you whether you are international or domestic? and when did you get the offer from VT? I applied to VT too.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:27 AM, stats_grad said:

Anyone hear any news from Wharton? Seems like they have not send out anything.

Same here. I did not receive any news from Wharton. hard to believe anyone in this community is not accepted until now.

@hebpo Someone on the forum last year who attends UNC seemed to think that the funding situation was solid like other programs, where you're guaranteed it throughout your 5 years. But in the past, I know personally their funding situation was very sketchy and was the reason lots of people decided to attend other schools.  The comments on the results page make me think they're back to their old troubles.

FWIW I was guaranteed funding for 5 years at UNC, and I haven't talked to anybody who has an in-between situation, either 5 years guaranteed or no funding guaranteed. Of course, if any program doesn't guarantee you any funding I would be extremely wary (unless you have the finances), so I don't think that's really UNC specific. I imagine the comments on the results page are more about them sending out unfunded offers, less so about sending sketchy funding promises.

It's good to hear they at least give out the guarantees for some students now. I personally don't think I'd want to be in a department where some of my fellow PhD students aren't even supported by the department.  UNC is the highest ranked department I know of that sends out unfunded offers - some lower ranked schools like Georgia and Florida State do it a lot.