Fall 2020 Statistics Applicant Thread

ENE1

Hi everyone!

I just received an acceptance for TAMU PhD (Absolutely delighted!!) . I received a memorandum from the Graduate director regarding my acceptance and in the memorandum it is stated that I need to submit my official application at the applytexas website. Although I am not required to submit my SOP and LORs anymore, as mentioned in the note. Also after I submit this formal application I would receive details on my funding. So I was wondering if anyone could help me out in this regard? Mainly I am concerned about :

1. Should I be starting a new application for TAMU? (I had applied to UT Austin via applytexas) If so, should I submit the application in the same way as I did for UT Austin?

2. Although it shows that the deadline for submitting the application was March 1, I hope this would not be any problem as I am instructed to submit a formal application?

Thanks everyone in advance

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Hi everyone!

I just received an acceptance for TAMU PhD (Absolutely delighted!!) . I received a memorandum from the Graduate director regarding my acceptance and in the memorandum it is stated that I need to submit my official application at the applytexas website. Although I am not required to submit my SOP and LORs anymore, as mentioned in the note. Also after I submit this formal application I would receive details on my funding. So I was wondering if anyone could help me out in this regard? Mainly I am concerned about :

1. Should I be starting a new application for TAMU? (I had applied to UT Austin via applytexas) If so, should I submit the application in the same way as I did for UT Austin?

2. Although it shows that the deadline for submitting the application was March 1, I hope this would not be any problem as I am instructed to submit a formal application?

Thanks everyone in advance

I don't know the answers to these questions, but I'm sure the graduate coordinator does. If you shoot them a quick email, they'll be able to point you in the right direction. 

On 3/31/2020 at 9:49 PM, captivatingCA said:

I don't know the answers to these questions, but I'm sure the graduate coordinator does. If you shoot them a quick email, they'll be able to point you in the right direction. 

Thanks! I emailed the coordinator and followed the steps provided and I received the official acceptance letter with funding details :)

On a different note, I am still awaiting decision from UNC Biostats. I have not received rejection nor have I been informed of wait-list as of yet. So I am wondering is it a possibility that I am on the waitlist or I will not receive any email (As it seems some universities just dont care to reply back)? I emailed the Graduate director and he said that the committee is still reviewing applications. Can anyone give me some ideas as to what I can expect?

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Thanks! I emailed the coordinator and followed the steps provided and I received the official acceptance letter with funding details :)

On a different note, I am still awaiting decision from UNC Biostats. I have not received rejection nor have I been informed of wait-list as of yet. So I am wondering is it a possibility that I am on the waitlist or I will not receive any email (As it seems some universities just dont care to reply back)? I emailed the Graduate director and he said that the committee is still reviewing applications. Can anyone give me some ideas as to what I can expect?

I am also waiting on UNC Biostatistics. A few days ago they told me that all the remaining applications were on the waitlist. According to the result section, UNC probably hasn't sent out many rejections yet so there may be a large waitlist. I think the probability of getting off waitlist is low at this point.

On 3/26/2020 at 12:17 PM, AC1 said:

Hi everyone! I saw the some people got accepted or rejected (even wait-listed) from Iowa State. However, my portal still shows 'In review'. I was wondering if I should consider this as a rejection or wait-list? I reached out to the graduate secretary and haven't heard back anything yet. 

Have you heard anything back from Iowa State?

I also see on the results page that if we haven't heard back from UCLA at this point, we can take that as a rejection. Is anyone able to confirm that?

1 hour ago, CB20 said:

Have you heard anything back from Iowa State?

I also see on the results page that if we haven't heard back from UCLA at this point, we can take that as a rejection. Is anyone able to confirm that?

No I haven't heard back from Iowa State as of yet. I sent an email to the Graduate coordinator last week, however, I got an out of office automatic reply. I will try again this week

On 4/4/2020 at 7:48 PM, Casorati said:

I am also waiting on UNC Biostatistics. A few days ago they told me that all the remaining applications were on the waitlist. According to the result section, UNC probably hasn't sent out many rejections yet so there may be a large waitlist. I think the probability of getting off waitlist is low at this point.

Hi! Any news from UNC Biostatistics? I have not heard back anything informative from them only the generic, "Applications are still under review and hope to be completed soon". 

11 hours ago, AC1 said:

Hi! Any news from UNC Biostatistics? I have not heard back anything informative from them only the generic, "Applications are still under review and hope to be completed soon". 

I haven't heard anything yet but today I found that a new section 'NC Residency Checklist' was added to my portal.

9 hours ago, statistican said:

When do people tend to start rejecting offers if they have made a decision? I am on the waitlist a few places and was wondering when I may hear final decisions. Do schools sometime come back even after the April 15 deadline?

I think that they do send offers even after April 15 deadline, provided there are vacancies. I heard back from one department that they do not have any vacancies as of yet, since most people have not replied back with their decision. If any position remains vacant after the April 15 deadline, then they would send the offers to those on the waitlist. But I found it to be quite weird, as they also told me to commit to other offers as there is no certainty of vacancies and if I am offered a position I can then consider my options

10 hours ago, AC1 said:

But I found it to be quite weird, as they also told me to commit to other offers as there is no certainty of vacancies and if I am offered a position I can then consider my options

Well, the thing is, you don't have obligation to go to a university even if you have signed the contract. Obviously it is not a very nice thing to do, but they cannot stop you from quitting their program after accepting it and go to another one. I think that's what the department means. 

Just now, statsday said:

If both schools abide by the CGS’ april 15th deadline you might have to get a release from the first school to attend the second one. Just something to keep in mind. 

This is true. But I think most schools don't want someone to attend who doesn't want to go there, so these are generally not an issue. This is just from what I've heard though. 

I just saw the news that University of Arizona is withdrawing funded Philosophy PhD offers for applicants who have not committed to their program due to the current COVID situation. Is there any chance that we will see similar things happening in Stats/Biostats?

I have one funded offer and a couple of waitlists. I was thinking of waiting closer to April 15th to accept the offer, but what's happening at U of Arizona got me kind of worried...

Hi everyone,

Congratulations to those who already got offers and fingers crossed to those who are still waiting for ones! This year is my third times applying for Stat/Biostat PhD and it finally works out!

Currently I have to make decisions among the two schools:

(1) Michigan State U - Department of Statistics and Probability 

(2) Iowa State U - Department of Statistics

I'm wondering if there is anyone happen to know the situations in either programs and is willing to give some  insights. From the information I've collected, it seems MSU have some nice academic placements considering its rank. Also, Lansing is a larger city compared to Ames, which may be helpful for getting an intern chance (not sure about this). On the other hand, ISU has a good and traditional reputation among statistics field but it seems its rank on us news has a downward trend over the recent decade. Any advice/analysis would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

Edited by StatYHC

3 hours ago, bstat6 said:

I received notice from University of Virginia that the university is not allowing any more funded offers to be made at this time as a result of COVID-19. 

How did you know that? Did you receive any email from them?

And this is for stats program or all the programs?

2 minutes ago, StatRe said:

How did you know that? Did you receive any email from them?

And this is for stats program or all the programs?

I received an email from the head of the admissions committee for the PhD Statistics program, but I believe the statement was made by UVa for all programs.

2 minutes ago, bstat6 said:

I received an email from the head of the admissions committee for the PhD Statistics program, but I believe the statement was made by UVa for all programs.

May I ask when did you receive the email and is it from Pro.Keenan?

24 minutes ago, StatRe said:

May I ask when did you receive the email and is it from Pro.Keenan?

Sure - I received the email on Saturday morning and yes it was from Professor Keenan. We have been in contact since I was previously waitlisted.