Fall 2020 Statistics Applicant Thread

ENE1

1 hour ago, bayessays said:

I personally don't think I'd want to be in a department where some of my fellow PhD students aren't even supported by the department.  UNC is the highest ranked department I know of that sends out unfunded offers - some lower ranked schools like Georgia and Florida State do it a lot.

I agree, if nothing else it is incredibly awkward.

When people talk how UChicago's master's program is extremely tough and competitive, are they talking about the MS in Statistics program or the MS in Analytics program (offered by the school of professional studies)? 

Edited by L2norm

3 minutes ago, L2norm said:

When people talk how UChicago's master's program is extremely tough and competitive, are they talking about the MS in Statistics program or the MS in Analytics program (offered by the school of professional studies)? 

Statistics

4 hours ago, softdrink said:

anyone applied to U of Pittsburgh( not biostat)? and heard back?

I heard back from Pitt a while ago. They've been pretty pushy about making a decision so I think they're waiting to see if they'll have the resources to accept more students.

16 hours ago, Jdriii said:

I heard back from Pitt a while ago. They've been pretty pushy about making a decision so I think they're waiting to see if they'll have the resources to accept more students.

thanks!

On 3/7/2020 at 1:59 AM, Jasmine Ng said:

I have not heard from them. Last week, I emailed them, but they said still under review!

does that mean they haven't sent out any offers yet? This is strange given it is so late. I couldn't find any offers on the forum.  

From past experience, does anyone know what's the chance of getting off the wait list from Minnesota and UNC? Apparently on the second group of wait listed students, and  I think I'm on the wait list at UNC as well, because I haven't heard anything, and I didn't get rejected after the email inquiry I sent.

Also, I have been admitted to Maryland's Applied Math program, but there program also has a Statistics concentration. Does anyone know how the program rates/ranks compared to other traditional statistics programs? 

Hi everyone! Has anyone here applied to NYU's A3SR (applied statistics for social science research) program?  I haven't heard back from them yet and getting a little anxious.

On the off chance that there are any current UNC biostat PhD students on this forum: what's your opinion of the program? Are you glad you made the decision to go to UNC? I've heard its quite rigorous - has that been your experience? How is the culture between students?

8 hours ago, hebpo said:

On the off chance that there are any current UNC biostat PhD students on this forum: what's your opinion of the program? Are you glad you made the decision to go to UNC? I've heard its quite rigorous - has that been your experience? How is the culture between students?

I have enjoyed our Department a lot. This will be controversial, and will likely trigger some current students at other institutions on the forum, but I truly believe UNC is a top-3 biostatistics program.

The culture between students is, in my opinion, our greatest strength. All the students are really sociable. We do our problem sets together and friend groups get formed so the current students hang out with one another outside the department.

The only department that even comes close to how rigorous UNC is would be Washington, which I would argue (and I think many of our current students would agree) our program is modeled after. That said, we have students from a wide range of math exposure, and almost all students pass the qualifying exam at least by the 2nd time (and the vast majority pass it the first time). The instructors at UNC are very good. The class has printed notes that give the details on all proofs, so you can just sit in class and listen instead of trying to pedantically write notes while the lecture is going on.

You may PM me with other questions if you'd like.

Had an interview with CMU today for joint Stats Public Policy. Interviewer said they have four spots in the program. It seems like the only chance of getting off the waitlist is if someone turns their spot down.  I see two acceptances and one other waitlist on the results page (guessing there are more). Anyone thinking of turning their offer down?

A deadline is coming up and still nothing from 5+ schools I applied to. I emailed them in Feb and all replies are pretty much "please wait" (I know emailing in Feb is a bit early but I had to do so for an earlier decision deadline).

Some of them told me the results would come out in March but I really don't have the time to wait until March 31st. Others only gave generic answer like results will be out by April 15th or even May. Should I email them again? I feel bad for bothering them again and again but I don't want to accept an offer with question marks on 5+ programs I applied to. 

13 minutes ago, SomeNerd said:

A deadline is coming up and still nothing from 5+ schools I applied to. I emailed them in Feb and all replies are pretty much "please wait" (I know emailing in Feb is a bit early but I had to do so for an earlier decision deadline).

Some of them told me the results would come out in March but I really don't have the time to wait until March 31st. Others only gave generic answer like results will be out by April 15th or even May. Should I email them again? I feel bad for bothering them again and again but I don't want to accept an offer with question marks on 5+ programs I applied to. 

Schools aren't supposed to have deadlines before April 15th, so it's very unusual that you would have to reply before then.  If you have some strange circumstance where you have to accept an offer soon though, I would email the schools and tell them you have a deadline in a few days and wanted to check about a decision.  There's no harm, worst case scenario they say no and you will never meet them anyways.

23 hours ago, dberlind said:

Had an interview with CMU today for joint Stats Public Policy. Interviewer said they have four spots in the program. It seems like the only chance of getting off the waitlist is if someone turns their spot down.  I see two acceptances and one other waitlist on the results page (guessing there are more). Anyone thinking of turning their offer down?

@dberlind I was accepted to the CMU joint policy/stats program. From what I understand, 6 people were accepted to the program, and professors say they usually have a pretty high yield for this program. I also got into UChicago and Columbia, but I'll probably attend CMU. Best of luck though! It's possible that people would turn it down.

12 hours ago, dberlind said:

Can anyone corroborate the post that Penn/Wharton sent out admissions decisions? It seems odd that this would have happened without anyone posting an acceptance.

I received "a kind of" offer (or maybe interest) from Wharton, but it seems like the department does not send out official offers yet.

14 hours ago, dberlind said:

Can anyone corroborate the post that Penn/Wharton sent out admissions decisions? It seems odd that this would have happened without anyone posting an acceptance.

I met a few people at visit days who mentioned getting into Wharton.