Fall 2020 Statistics Applicant Thread

ENE1

39 minutes ago, likewater said:

Accepted into the fast-track MS-PhD at Umich Biostat, does anybody know if this means that I will have to reapply for PhD admissions after getting an MS? Or is it more or less a PhD acceptance under another name (for whatever reason)?

Historically, if you are admitted on the fast track with funding, you do have to reapply for the PhD but you are essentially guaranteed admission, provided you do ok in your classes.  But it is still an added stressor.  If you're confident in your ability to be a good student, I wouldn't be overly concerned about this.  There is also the advantage that if you don't like it and want to leave with a master's or transfer to another program, you are reapplying for PhD programs after 2 years anyways, so it creates a less awkward way to leave. 

I wonder if the person that said on the results pages that they got an interview at UoW is on this thread. Just wondering how your interview went?

I was not the person who got the UW interview, but I was wondering if usually all potential admits were interviewed or only a subset? There seem to be results from 2019 indicating that at least one person was admitted without an interview, while others were admitted after an interview.

54 minutes ago, MrSergazinov said:

Got rejected from UW Madison and accepted to TAMU, a bit unexpected. 

While I think TAMU probably has stronger faculty despite the rankings, I think TAMU struggles to recruit domestic applicants because of the location and culture of the school.  I'd expect Madison to be significantly harder to get into.

39 minutes ago, noinim said:

I was not the person who got the UW interview, but I was wondering if usually all potential admits were interviewed or only a subset? There seem to be results from 2019 indicating that at least one person was admitted without an interview, while others were admitted after an interview.

I've heard that international students may be interviewed (not in person) to check for English skills. But I'm not sure about that. 

37 minutes ago, bayessays said:

While I think TAMU probably has stronger faculty despite the rankings, I think TAMU struggles to recruit domestic applicants because of the location and culture of the school.  I'd expect Madison to be significantly harder to get into.

What exactly is the issue with TAMU’s location and culture? I’m not domestic, and TAMU is one of the schools I’m considering favorably, so wanted to know

28 minutes ago, mikstabio said:

What exactly is the issue with TAMU’s location and culture? I’m not domestic, and TAMU is one of the schools I’m considering favorably, so wanted to know

There is not an issue, really, just a matter of preference; there is nothing wrong with TAMU or the department that I know of.  American college students, especially those who go to graduate school, tend to be politically liberal and want to live in cities on the coasts. Just the other day, someone on this forum posted a profile review saying they didn't want to attend a school in the Midwest.  On top of the geographical reasons, TAMU is in a small town in a politically conservative state.  The school has a large ROTC (military training) program, the town residents are largely evangelical Christians.   It is not the type of place that young, liberal people generally would like to live because there isn't a ton to do there and people are different than what they are accustomed to (compared to a town like Austin an hour away).

@MrSergazinov They are both good so far as I know.  However, I recall Dr. Katzfuss (at TAMU, incidentally an Ohio State alum) was hiring a computational statistics postdoc this past year, so maybe he would be a good first person to start researching.  He does Kalman filters and spatial stats, I believe.

@MrSergazinov  OSU is very Bayesian and like half their department works on Bayesian computing.  TAMU has a few people like that too.  Like @Geococcyx said, Katzfuss is a good example of how most people doing "computational statistics" are working in other methodological/applied areas too and doing computational work that helps accomplish that.  So I'd dig a little deeper into the faculty members at each and see what exactly interests you about their research.

Got admitted to Baylor PhD tonight with a stipend. Was the only program I applied to and I hadn't really been considering it an option for the last few months so it was a big surprise. Only now I'm pretty comfortable with my urban coastal life so idk how to feel about it. Wild.

Edited by canandbowery

17 hours ago, ENE1 said:

I wonder if the person that said on the results pages that they got an interview at UoW is on this thread. Just wondering how your interview went?

I am an international student who got interviewed by UW. POI asked a few easy questions about me and spent much time highlighting the advantages of UW and his recent research interest. The talk was warm.

5 hours ago, Oliverrrrrrr said:

I am an international student who got interviewed by UW. POI asked a few easy questions about me and spent much time highlighting the advantages of UW and his recent research interest. The talk was warm.

Congrats Oliver. Sounds like a really good sign - hope you see an offer soon :)

Just wondering, are you coming from a non-English speaking background? I hear that a few places interview international students to see how their English is.

32 minutes ago, ENE1 said:

Congrats Oliver. Sounds like a really good sign - hope you see an offer soon :)

Just wondering, are you coming from a non-English speaking background? I hear that a few places interview international students to see how their English is.

Yeah, that's true. I came from non-English speaking undergrad institution and the interview was all in English.

Accepted to Montana State MS, R from Ohio State Stats PhD

Has anyone heard from Nebraska, Oregon St, Colorado St, or CU Denver? Those are the only schools left that I would choose over MSU

11 hours ago, Ginger? said:

Has anyone heard from Nebraska, Oregon St, Colorado St, or CU Denver? Those are the only schools left that I would choose over MSU

I have interviewed with CU Denver Biostatistics last Friday. They said the results will be out in a couple of weeks.

On 2/5/2020 at 10:32 PM, Ginger? said:

I have heard back from Colorado State (Fort Collins).