Fall 2020 Statistics Applicant Thread

ENE1

To all those who were admitted to Wisconsin-Madison (Stat), did you hear anything about a visit day? 

(I sent an email to ask the question, but they have not replied) 

Should I send my official transcript to get information on a visit day?

16 hours ago, J456 said:

When can we expect to hear from the likes of Berkeley, Columbia, Minnesota, UNC? All Stats.

Looking at the grad cafe survey, UC Berkeley stats released decisions around 5-8 February 2019 and 7 February 2018. So I've got my fingers crossed that we will hear back very soon. Beyond that, I can't say anything more.

totally off the topic (but somewhat related to the topic i guess): how do you guys manage your stress/anxiety of waiting on schools? 

I got some rejects and offers (but not my dream schools) and the longer I wait the more anxious I get...

tried to get distracted from this by focusing on school work but it didn't help much. Any tips? 

23 minutes ago, SomeNerd said:

totally off the topic (but somewhat related to the topic i guess): how do you guys manage your stress/anxiety of waiting on schools? 

I got some rejects and offers (but not my dream schools) and the longer I wait the more anxious I get...

tried to get distracted from this by focusing on school work but it didn't help much. Any tips? 

I've been through the process a few times, and I think the only real way to lower the stress is to lower the importance that you assign to the whole process, which you can do in a few ways.

1) You already have some admissions.  Spend some time researching the programs you've gotten into, the city, where you might live.  Get excited about one of the opportunities you already have.

2) If you can't get excited about the schools you're already in, think about what you might do if you don't get in anywhere.  I'm sure as  a smart math-savvy grad, you'll have some other decent options of things you could occupy yourself with for a year.  Find a fun alternative. Convince yourself you don't actually need to go to grad school this year and you won't assign any importance to the process.  Life is long, and if you realize waiting a year won't be the end of the world, it removes the pressure.

I don't think you'll ever get rid of the curiosity and desire to check your email and see results, but you can at least lower the unnecessary stress.  I've worried myself sick about this stuff too many times and it's not worth it.  Your life will be fine regardless of these results and you really need to convince yourself of the truth of that.

12 hours ago, idko said:

To all those who were admitted to Wisconsin-Madison (Stat), did you hear anything about a visit day? 

(I sent an email to ask the question, but they have not replied) 

Should I send my official transcript to get information on a visit day?

I received an email on Feb 3 about the program having a visit day on Mar 6.

On 2/3/2020 at 8:54 AM, likewater said:

Accepted into the fast-track MS-PhD at Umich Biostat, does anybody know if this means that I will have to reapply for PhD admissions after getting an MS? Or is it more or less a PhD acceptance under another name (for whatever reason)?

Did you hear anything about funding?

Just now, imbroglio said:

I received an email on Feb 3 about the program having a visit day on Mar 6.

Thank you for answering!

Perhaps, the visit day is only for domestic students. 

(I am an international without US degree.)

@likewater @shuggie Did you get an official acceptance letter already? And did you apply to PhD or masters? I spoke with a professor from Umich biostat this week who said official letters would be sent in 2-3 weeks (I'm international though). Maybe funding will come out around the same time. I applied to PhD but it seems I may get acceptance into masters by the way he talked.

Does anyone have any insight they can share into the department at Simon Fraser U.? I got an offer last week and am pretty interested. I just don't have a sense of how to compare it to U.S. institutions reputation-wise. Maybe this isn't the best way to think about it, but what USNWR ranked departments would SFU be analogous to? Are prospects of an academic job after completing their program decent? I see a few cases of their PhD graduates getting professorships at departments like Ohio, which is encouraging.

It seems UT Austin have sent their first round offers to domestic applicants, have any international applicants heard something back from their department yet?

Edited by statpoke
typo

3 hours ago, statpoke said:

It seems UT Austin have sent their first round offers to domestic applicants, have any international applicants heard something back from their department yet?

I have not heard anything yet... Good luck everyone! I hope you get where you want!