UNC MSW 2020

unctomsw

2 minutes ago, sebailes said:

Advanced standing! What do you wanna know? I'll share whatever haha

Just like your GPA, what you majored in, what kind of experience you had beforehand, GRE, etc, anything you think might have helped you get in. I'm not advanced standing so I don't know how similar their admission standards are for the regular program but it would be interesting to know! Also did they send you an email or was it updated in the portal?

Edited by unctomsw

Just now, unctomsw said:

Just like your GPA, what you majored in, what kind of experience you had beforehand, GRE, etc, anything you think might have helped you get in. I'm not advanced standing so I don't know how similar their admission standards are for the regular program but it would be interesting to know!

GPA: 3.9 (both overall and major)

Major: social work

Didn't take the GRE

Experience: I've worked at a youth emergency shelter for the past two years, I'm interning at a substance abuse facility, I have a few different trauma informed trainings I've done, research symposium at school, etc.

8 hours ago, unctomsw said:

Just like your GPA, what you majored in, what kind of experience you had beforehand, GRE, etc, anything you think might have helped you get in. I'm not advanced standing so I don't know how similar their admission standards are for the regular program but it would be interesting to know! Also did they send you an email or was it updated in the portal?

Also I forgot to add! The admissions person Ben emailed me directly and told me, but he said that it'd be updated in the portal in the next 24-48 hours! So I'm assuming that's when they're planning to officially send out acceptances to everyone?? I'm not sure, but I'd expect something soon! 

Good luck to all of y'all!!! I can't wait to hear from everyone!

48 minutes ago, UNCMSW2020 said:

Congratulations!!  Can you let us know when you see your portal change?

My portal just changed!! I got the official email telling me to check the portal about five minutes ago.

Good luck everyone! I'm sure y'all will start hearing today!!

23 minutes ago, HopefulMSW614 said:

I don’t think I can do this wait anymore. But unfortunately there’s not really an alternative. Any tips on how to distract yourself? I’m halfway tempted to lock myself out of my phone for a few hours tomorrow. 

my best option was to go for a drive! (or a walk if you don't drive) 

I just put on a great playlist and drove around for awhile so I had to focus on the road.

4 hours ago, HopefulMSW614 said:

I don’t think I can do this wait anymore. But unfortunately there’s not really an alternative. Any tips on how to distract yourself? I’m halfway tempted to lock myself out of my phone for a few hours tomorrow. 

I've mostly been binge watching on Netflix to avoid thinking about it. Maybe find little methods of self-care that work for you?

15 hours ago, HopefulMSW614 said:

It's honestly a relief to know I'm not the only one who is really struggling with this wait #solidarity. I don't think I've ever been this obsessive about checking my email before. It's so hard to be patient but I know that thinking about it all the time is only making the wait worse. Spending time with my husband and talking to friends/family has helped me! It's also helped to plan and think positive thoughts about my other options for school/work just in case I don't get the news I'm hoping for from UNC. Happy Valentine's Day, wishing you all a happy weekend! :)

Also, recently read this article on appreciating those "in-between" moments like this in life and I thought it was inspiring: https://www.elephantjournal.com/2016/09/when-you-find-yourself-a-little-lost-in-the-in-between/

Edited by carolhd

18 hours ago, HopefulMSW614 said:

It has really been helping me to focus on what I might do if I don't get in to grad school. I have a whole plan laid out- a completely different path that could be equally rewarding. I know waiting is difficult, but sometimes forcing yourself to not constantly check your e-mail, read this forum, or check the portal- and instead reading a book, hanging out with friends and family, and focusing on the present- it's so much better and you will likely feel much happier.