UNC MSW 2020

unctomsw

Another applicant to the full-time 2-year program here! I’d love some advice...

I recently was admitted to another school who said that they needed me to accept or decline their offer by March 6. However, UNC-CH has said that they may not get all offers out until mid-March. I emailed the assistant dean of admissions at CH (as the administrative assistant over the phone told me to do), but I have not gotten an email reply back. Should I write him again? Or assume he saw it? I want to be sure they know but also don’t want to pester.

25 minutes ago, furmanpaladin said:

I recently was admitted to another school who said that they needed me to accept or decline their offer by March 6. However, UNC-CH has said that they may not get all offers out until mid-March. I emailed the assistant dean of admissions at CH (as the administrative assistant over the phone told me to do), but I have not gotten an email reply back. Should I write him again? Or assume he saw it? I want to be sure they know but also don’t want to pester.

I would wait a couple weeks and see what happens with UNC, and then, if you don't get an email response by then, email/call again about hearing your decision sooner. March 6 is close to the end of their decision timeline anyways. You could also send another email sooner than that because this is a big deal for you and it doesn't really matter if you're bothering them because you need a response. 

1 hour ago, furmanpaladin said:

Any chance you're referring to UNC Charlotte's program? If so, I received an email saying that was a mistake and they need the response by March 16th!

11 minutes ago, ncmsw44 said:

Any chance you're referring to UNC Charlotte's program? If so, I received an email saying that was a mistake and they need the response by March 16th!

Hahaha I’m impressed— that’s the school I was referring to! That’s great news, thank you! I haven’t received any emails from them, I just saw my admissions decision on the portal.

14 minutes ago, furmanpaladin said:

Hahaha I’m impressed— that’s the school I was referring to! That’s great news, thank you! I haven’t received any emails from them, I just saw my admissions decision on the portal.

Haha I was having the same worries and didn't know of any other programs with that same decision deadline!

Someone I know from undergrad just got accepted to the regular-standing, full-time program, so I guess those emails are starting to go out! It's making me even more anxious though and I just hope I hear back soon. Good luck to everyone!

32 minutes ago, unctomsw said:

Someone I know from undergrad just got accepted to the regular-standing, full-time program, so I guess those emails are starting to go out! It's making me even more anxious though and I just hope I hear back soon. Good luck to everyone!

thanks for the intel! this wait is real rough lol

17 hours ago, unctomsw said:

thanks for this info!

On 2/18/2020 at 10:45 AM, furmanpaladin said:

My rule of thumb when sending professional emails is typically wait five to seven days, unless we are talking interoffice emails or emails where a deadline is given. Less than that time is understandable that they have not responded yet as people are busy. More than seven days going by means they might have forgotten about or put it too far down the list. I think it is important to be assertive and show your needs are important too, but as you say, without pestering them.

20 minutes ago, noooodle said:

just got my acceptance to the full-time, 2-year program!! it came in an email from Sharon and said that an acceptance email from the graduate school would be coming in the next few days. so seems like they are rolling them out! sending good vibes to everyone! 

Super happy for you, congratulations!!!

28 minutes ago, noooodle said:

just got my acceptance to the full-time, 2-year program!! it came in an email from Sharon and said that an acceptance email from the graduate school would be coming in the next few days. so seems like they are rolling them out! sending good vibes to everyone! 

Congrats! Remind me if this is Chapel Hill or Charlotte? 

1 hour ago, noooodle said:

omg congrats!! hope you get to celebrate!

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your stats and experience? 

So exciting!! Congrats!! 

9 minutes ago, unctomsw said:

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your stats and experience? 

sure! 3.7x undergrad GPA, have been out of school ~5 years, i've worked in legal services/advocacy for DV survivors for the last 2+ years. first gen/multiligual. no GRE. non-NC resident. lmk if you wanna know anything else!

15 minutes ago, noooodle said:

sure! 3.7x undergrad GPA, have been out of school ~5 years, i've worked in legal services/advocacy for DV survivors for the last 2+ years. first gen/multiligual. no GRE. non-NC resident. lmk if you wanna know anything else!

Great stats! No wonder you were accepted. When did you apply? Did they provide a scholarship? I'm still waiting to hear back from them.