UNC MSW 2020

unctomsw

How many people have applied to UNC's full-time MSW program starting in Fall 2020? I applied by the priority deadline in December and haven't heard back yet, so just wondering what other people's timelines look like and if anyone has been accepted yet!

1 hour ago, unctomsw said:

How many people have applied to UNC's full-time MSW program starting in Fall 2020? I applied by the priority deadline in December and haven't heard back yet, so just wondering what other people's timelines look like and if anyone has been accepted yet!

Also applied by the priority deadline but haven't heard anything yet! Fingers crossed :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 10:19 AM, unctomsw said:

Have you heard back yet? I also applied by the priority deadline and are waiting to hear back. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, sebailes said:

I applied for Advanced Standing and was wondering if anyone has heard back yet? I heard it'd be within the next two weeks but I'm getting so anxious

I'm in the same boat. I applied for Advanced Standing and I'm still waiting to hear back. At the MSW info session in the fall, they originally said that we would find out on or by February 14th. The waiting has me on the edge of my seat!

16 hours ago, DakotaJean98 said:

Have you heard back yet? I also applied by the priority deadline and are waiting to hear back. Thanks! 

I applied before 12/10 as well and haven't heard back. From what I understood, the priority deadline was only a deadline for if you wanted to be considered for the Graduate School's scholarships (i.e. Weiss), not an indicator that we would find out from the SSW about admission any earlier. When I spoke to admissions a couple weeks ago, they'd said anytime from end of January through March, but that the bulk would probably be by mid-Feb. So I'm hoping soon!!

On 2/1/2020 at 2:30 PM, Ceridwen24 said:

I'm in the same boat. I applied for Advanced Standing and I'm still waiting to hear back. At the MSW info session in the fall, they originally said that we would find out on or by February 14th. The waiting has me on the edge of my seat!

I met with the SW department last Monday and they told me they were starting to send out Advanced Standing acceptances last week and that they’ll all be out by Valentines Day. The wait is killing me!! I’m obsessively checking my email. 

44 minutes ago, hellouncmsw said:

I applied for regular full-time on January 10th and I am curious if the office said ALL decisions will come out by Valentines Day or just Advanced Standing? Thanks :)

From what they told me, I think just advanced standing!! They said this is because we start sooner (in May). I think full-time is supposed to hear by the end of March! I know the wait sucks so much

On 2/1/2020 at 12:30 AM, DakotaJean98 said:

No, I haven't heard back yet! I'm definitely checking my email obsessively and hoping for an earlier decision rather than a later one. 

Update for anyone who hasn't seen the email, the notification dates for decisions have been expanded due to a high number of applications. 

"
We will begin issuing decision notices to Advanced Standing students starting next week and continuing through the week of February 17th.  Applicants to the 2-year full-time program can expect to be notified of decisions beginning next week and continuing through mid-March.  

All applicants will receive an email from the UNC Graduate School or the UNC School of Social Work with their admission decision."

17 hours ago, HopefulMSW614 said:

Same! It’s become the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last before I go to bed. I. Just. Need. To. Know. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I feel like I'm going crazy! 

5 minutes ago, efgarmon said:

Hi guys! Does anyone know how many people they accept to the program? 

I don’t know about the two year program, but they told me 25-30 people for Advanced Standing

2 hours ago, hellouncmsw said:

I heard 75-100 students each year but I am not sure if that includes Advanced Standing?

At the MSW info session I went to, they said that it was about 100 people in the program all together for advanced standing, full-time, and part-time.

1 hour ago, Ceridwen24 said:

At the MSW info session I went to, they said that it was about 100 people in the program all together for advanced standing, full-time, and part-time.

Knowing that definitely just makes me more anxious lol. Did they say how many people apply to begin with? 

5 minutes ago, unctomsw said:

Knowing that definitely just makes me more anxious lol. Did they say how many people apply to begin with? 

They told me the acceptance rate is 25%, so I’d say probably 400 or so apply 

7 minutes ago, hellouncmsw said:

I heard last year the applicant pool nearly doubled after they took away the GRE requirement, and prior to it doubling they received around 300 applications per year.  

I had also heard that it doubled without the GRE requirement but I wonder if the increase in applications is still factored into their 25% acceptance rate

Edited by unctomsw