Im in my 2nd semester of Speech Pathology grad school/program and already looking into internship sites for my last semester. I am trying to go into Medical Speech Path. or Early Intervention but both fields are incredibly competitive when it comes to applying for internships. What can I do now to make me look more competitive?

Im obviously aiming for high grades and im doing fine so far and im writing a thesis on a medical speech path topic (and im bilingual so I guess thats a plus too)

Is there anything more I can do? I cant really officially "do" observations anymore since they dont count towards my hours and I cant really show any proof I took initiative for that...

ANY ideas would help (from anyone with advice applying to competitive internships!!!)

For medical SLP, I suppose you could do the student training for MBSImP or LSVT Loud if you haven't already. Not sure about EI trainings--maybe Hanen? I'm also still in grad school.

FYI, you'll get MUCH more information and replies if you post this on the reddit SLP subforum. Most people on GradCafe are still applying to grad schools and won't have any advice for these kinds of questions. There is also an SLP page on GradCafe: go into the "menu" section and scroll down until you see Professional Programs. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 9:25 AM, bibliophile222 said:

For medical SLP, I suppose you could do the student training for MBSImP or LSVT Loud if you haven't already. Not sure about EI trainings--maybe Hanen? I'm also still in grad school.

FYI, you'll get MUCH more information and replies if you post this on the reddit SLP subforum. Most people on GradCafe are still applying to grad schools and won't have any advice for these kinds of questions. There is also an SLP page on GradCafe: go into the "menu" section and scroll down until you see Professional Programs. 

I second this. The reddit SLP subform is your best bet to get the most helpful responses. But this comment also was a great response! I'm trying to get my foot in the door too to get some good medical internships and I do plan on doing the student training for MBSImP and LSVT loud.