ASHA requirements

Hello!!! 

I am starting my post bacc in Speech Pathology soon and I read that for the ASHA physical science requirement is now only accepting Chemistry and Physics. I plan on taking Conceptual Physics at a community college. It is different from Intro to Physics... Conceptual physics apparently has less math ( I guess an easier version of physics?)

Does anybody know if Conceptual Physics is acceptable or how picky ASHA is with the courses??

ALSO do you think grad schools will look at how I took the easier physics course instead of regular physics or chemistry? and judge...

I definitely don't think grad schools will judge you for taking an easier course! Let's face it, most of us in this field aren't math people. Your major courses and writing ability matter much more for admissions.

It's actually the grad programs who decide whether the science courses fit the ASHA prereq, so I would ask some CSD professors (maybe ones from your upcoming post-bacc) or contact a few grad programs to see if they would accept it. My guess is that they would, but you should get a consensus opinion before beginning.

I would urge you to take Intro to Physics and take it credit/no credit. I recently have been talking to admissions about the new 2020 changes and they are getting more and more strict about what they are accepting. 

An alternative would be to reach out to the schools that you are applying to and make sure that they will accept this class as an alternative.

Good luck!!!

I took a course called Conceptual Chemistry, it was basically like high school chemistry all over again. Very easy A. I used it toward my ASHA prerequisites on applications and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Haven't heard back from any applications yet but you should be good!

On 1/17/2020 at 12:02 AM, Einnob said:

@Madi544 Have the grad programs you've applied to accept the class? How do you know? I just want to make sure !!

Thank you so much ❤️ 

I went to a couple info sessions for my schools and they said that that class was fine! But, maybe it is better to check your schools individually! Hope this helps, good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that our writing ability definitely matters more than our math ability! Your writing ability effects how well you write SOAP notes and come up with POC's. However, I think it is important to also be well-rounded and show graduate school admission committees that you're capable of mathematical thinking, especially Statistics, as you'll need it for assessments.

ASHA has no specific requirement for what type of physics, so I think you're fine! It is mostly important to know the physics of respiration, as it affects the quality of sound!

On 1/15/2020 at 5:25 PM, Einnob said:

Hello!!! 

I am starting my post bacc in Speech Pathology soon and I read that for the ASHA physical science requirement is now only accepting Chemistry and Physics. I plan on taking Conceptual Physics at a community college. It is different from Intro to Physics... Conceptual physics apparently has less math ( I guess an easier version of physics?)

Does anybody know if Conceptual Physics is acceptable or how picky ASHA is with the courses??

ALSO do you think grad schools will look at how I took the easier physics course instead of regular physics or chemistry? and judge...

So, unless things have changed drastically, ASHA doesn't actually look at your courses for that requirement, they rely on the accredited program to which you're accepted to make the determination of if it qualifies. It sounds like a much better question for your academic advisor in your SHS/SLP/CommDis department 

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure you take the lab!!! Unfortunately, the ASHA website is not very specific about this. Some of the leveling, undergraduates, and even current SLP graduate students at my uni have gotten quite fed up, because they took a Chemistry or Physics class after being told about the new requirement and were then told that the class didn't count towards the M.S. in SLP. So, now they have to take another one. I talked to a few students; one woman's class was not counted because she didn't take the lab. Others took a course called "Chemistry in your Community" and were told it didn't count, and they would have to take another Physics or Chemistry. Like someone else mentioned, it will be up to the head of your master's program to determine if the Chemistry or Physics counts towards the ASHA requirement. From what I know, I highly suggest taking a course that has an associated lab and taking the lab. I know at my university, they recommend a Physics class called "Physics of Music" sometimes called "Acoustical Physics" or "Physics of Acoustics". 

Edited by Marybeth