Anthropology Interviews

RyanHGSE17

Hi all,

I wanted to start a thread for folks to post interview invites to Anthropology programs. I saw a post in results from someone invited to interview for UC Santa Cruz's Anthropology program- yet previously there seem not to be interviews. Thought this would be a good place to share our knowledge of interview notifications.

Here are the two I know:

Columbia - Expected Interview Invite Week of January 27th

Northwestern - Expected Interview Invite Week of Jan. 27th

Curious if anyone else received invites to UC Santa Cruz, or other schools you know will extend interview invites.

- R

To the original post, I add that Emory anthropology's interview weekend is February 6th-8th 

To the one right above, I also applied to UC Irvine and have not heard anything. Seems like they usually notify about interviews early-mid January, and this is already past the latest that they have ever done so. Perhaps they moved the interview date back or cut interviews? Curious if anyone has any insights. 

To the original post, I posted the interview invitation from UC Santa Cruz. I’m an international phd applicant and I received the email from graduate coordinator. Few days later I was notified that Graduate studies director and another professor - I didn’t mention any of them on my SOP so I assume they are interviewing me as admission committee? - will interview me. I also applied to UC Irvine but haven’t heard anything from them yet.

Wondering if anyone has heard from UCLA OR knows if they do interviews... Checked posts in previous years - there are only offers and rejections, no interview post. Really nervous at this moment - haven’t heard anything from all the applied programs, guess rejections are on the way... Anyone?

8 hours ago, SmauelJ said:

Wondering if anyone has heard from UCLA OR knows if they do interviews... Checked posts in previous years - there are only offers and rejections, no interview post. Really nervous at this moment - haven’t heard anything from all the applied programs, guess rejections are on the way... Anyone?

Someone in the "Fall 2020 Applications" thread under the "Anthropology" category mentioned that UCLA doesn't seem to usually do interviews. Hope that helps!

On 1/17/2020 at 5:47 PM, anthro_anon said:

To the original post, I add that Emory anthropology's interview weekend is February 6th-8th 

To the one right above, I also applied to UC Irvine and have not heard anything. Seems like they usually notify about interviews early-mid January, and this is already past the latest that they have ever done so. Perhaps they moved the interview date back or cut interviews? Curious if anyone has any insights. 

Also got an interview at Emory will you be attending?

On 1/17/2020 at 11:53 PM, Waltzfordebby said:

To the original post, I posted the interview invitation from UC Santa Cruz. I’m an international phd applicant and I received the email from graduate coordinator. Few days later I was notified that Graduate studies director and another professor - I didn’t mention any of them on my SOP so I assume they are interviewing me as admission committee? - will interview me. I also applied to UC Irvine but haven’t heard anything from them yet.

Hi, cograts on the interview. Have you heard anything back ever since the interview? Heard from graduate students at Santa Cruz that the department all admits students without interviews... Have no idea what is this year’s policy.

6 hours ago, SmauelJ said:

Hi, cograts on the interview. Have you heard anything back ever since the interview? Heard from graduate students at Santa Cruz that the department all admits students without interviews... Have no idea what is this year’s policy.

I love this info.

Also, I'm so glad this thread is proving useful to folks!

On 1/22/2020 at 5:29 PM, SmauelJ said:

Thanks!

Did you apply to UCSC as well? I didn't know about the no interview policy, maybe they're doing it differently this year.

In fact my interview was yesterday and they told me that the decision will be made early - mid Feb. 

6 hours ago, Waltzfordebby said:

Thanks!

Did you apply to UCSC as well? I didn't know about the no interview policy, maybe they're doing it differently this year.

In fact my interview was yesterday and they told me that the decision will be made early - mid Feb. 

Thanks for the information! I also applied to UCSC - no interview, so I guess my rejection is on the way... Hope you make it.

6 hours ago, UgnaHav2krythatw8 said:

I heard from Northwestern, interview weekend set for last weekend in Feb. 

Thanks! Congratulations! You were the one who posted to the results? Did you hear from POI or from dept.?

15 hours ago, soupnazi said:

Has anyone heard anything from Columbia yet (interviews, decisions, etc.)? No news for me–I applied for the sociocultural track.

Looks like one person posted a Columbia interview invite. Based on past years I'd expect today or tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, UgnaHav2krythatw8 said:

Thanks :) Yes, that was me. POI contacted me via email. Biocultural and medical anth. focus. 

Woohoo! That's wonderful! And thanks for getting back to me. I'm hoping to hear back from the sociocultural :)