Anthropology Interviews

RyanHGSE17

3 hours ago, bearbonbon said:

I've had interviews so far with Stanford and Columbia (both Arch track) which I am surprised I got at all haha. Not sure if Archaeology vs Sociocultural faculty tend to do separate interview times/rounds though?

Congratulations! Yeah it's looking like Columbia and Northwestern have sent their invites already. Sad.

Really interesting to see the UC Irvine interview on the results page, over a week after the first rush of interview notifications. Perhaps the rest of us still have a chance ?

Best of luck to everyone waiting on notifications from all of their programs of interest. 

I've had interviews for cultural anthro at UT Austin and UPenn so far.

Is it common for committees to really grill you on the logistics of your proposed project? I have done so poorly on these interviews (Penn especially) that I just feel like an imposter and I probably shouldn't have applied at all. I sounded so incredibly incompetent in my interviews as I stuttered through answers and vaguely answered their questions (if I even sufficiently answered them in the first place, which I don't even know if I did). I should probably give up on this honestly. Not looking for sympathy or anything, just feeling really depressed

Edited by gls2814

2 hours ago, gls2814 said:

Is it common for committees to really grill you on the logistics of your proposed project? I have done so poorly on these interviews (Penn especially) that I just feel like an imposter and I probably shouldn't have applied at all. I sounded so incredibly incompetent in my interviews as I stuttered through answers and vaguely answered their questions (if I even sufficiently answered them in the first place, which I don't even know if I did). I should probably give up on this honestly. Not looking for sympathy or anything, just feeling really depressed

Hey, think of it this way--you got interviews at two of the best prestigious cultural anthropology programs in the country. You definitely should keep at it if this is something you want to do. You have the skills. 

16 hours ago, gls2814 said:

I'm feeling the exact same way... my two interviews were also stressful for the same exact reasons (grilling me on my proposed project, which is FAR from finalized/solidified) and I also feel like I bombed them. But it helps knowing that other people have faced this and also felt unprepared, and like if anyone out there could answer those questions perfectly they would already have their degree haha. & I've also felt like maybe giving up but you know you got interviews for a reason so be proud of that!

On 2/2/2020 at 1:28 AM, anthro_anon said:

Hey, think of it this way--you got interviews at two of the best prestigious cultural anthropology programs in the country. You definitely should keep at it if this is something you want to do. You have the skills. 

Thanks man. They definitely made me feel like I didn't have the skills though. I physically cringe when I think about what I've said and how I could have set it better. My nerves got the best of me.

16 hours ago, bearbonbon said:

I'm feeling the exact same way... my two interviews were also stressful for the same exact reasons (grilling me on my proposed project, which is FAR from finalized/solidified) and I also feel like I bombed them. But it helps knowing that other people have faced this and also felt unprepared, and like if anyone out there could answer those questions perfectly they would already have their degree haha. & I've also felt like maybe giving up but you know you got interviews for a reason so be proud of that

Yeah! It's like they expect us to have our dissertations already planned out and ready to go. What about growth? Changing perspectives? Leaving room for all of that as we grow as scholars? I'm stressed and depressed

40 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Has anyone heard from Yale or Cornell for interviews? I haven't received an e-mail so I'm assuming I won't be accepted. 

I received an interview invitation for the socio-cultural track at Jan 25th. They told me that all interviews for the track should be concluded until Feb 7th. It seems like that was case for at least three more people, judging by the results page.  

3 hours ago, RyanHGSE17 said:

So did UT Austin do interviews for all of their Anthro tracks?

I interviewed with UT Austin for linguistic anthro back in the second week of January. I haven't heard anything back since, but the Graduate Admissions Chair of the department said that we should hear back by March. 

On 2/10/2020 at 1:43 AM, Yeti said:

Anyone hear back from anthropology departments at WashU/Wustl? When do they send out their final results and did anyone have interviews with the department or POI? Are there several interviews?

In recent years, WashU has accepted anthropology students in mid-late October. I imagine they'd release decisions this Friday if I were going to take a guess.