FALL 2020 - Film & Media/Cinema Studies + African American/African Diaspora Studies

Wanted to start a thread for anyone who applied to an interdisciplinary or "combined" African American studies & Film/Media/Cinema studies program ...or are looking to minor in African American studies/incorporate African American history and culture into a Film/Media/Cinema studies PhD program. 

Welcome all and thank you for joining this topic! It'll be nice to ask questions about various programs and get input from others on their post-application happenings :)

I had one interview so far (for Media Studies PhD program), but I haven't heard anything from the other 4 programs yet - I applied to a total of 5 programs. All of my applications are for Media Studies, Cinema Studies, or Film & African American Studies.

Edited by ToffeeCoffee

Hello! Film/media studies applicant here. Although I’ve mainly applied to MA programs, it’s nice to see others who are in this field of study :) Sadly, I’ve been rejected from one of the two PhD programs I applied to, and no news from the second one either (UMichigan)

Hello fellow film folks! Applied to 5 programs overall. I received my first rejection from Northwestern last Friday during the wave that went out. I applied with the African Studies Cluster, but wasn't stoked about the screen cultures program in terms of fit so it wasn't the worst news. Received an acceptance to the Comparative Studies in Discourse and Society program at UMN the following day on Saturday morning to my absolute surprise. Still eagerly awaiting the rest of my apps, but feeling good about my options so far! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.

1 hour ago, Piercing Pince-Nez said:

I'm only applying to the Uchicago CMS PhD. Does anyone have any admissions related details about it? Looks like there was one acceptance yesterday...

Dang. I got nothing.

11 hours ago, Piercing Pince-Nez said:

I'm only applying to the Uchicago CMS PhD. Does anyone have any admissions related details about it? Looks like there was one acceptance yesterday...

Sorry - I didn’t apply to that program, and also I don’t know anyone who did apply. Wish you the best of luck! Waiting is worst part of the application process. 

I think this might be it for UChicago CMS? Cohort sizes are really small so waves wouldn't make much sense. But we'll all know for sure when the official decisions come out next week - bon courage!

2 hours ago, anselben said:

No response on your end either? This is brutal especially with the one supposed acceptance floating around... 

Wish I could say there was. Nothing concrete to go on really. Someone posted earlier something ab the size of the cohort, but it's speculation until I see the decision. What are your interests? I study american conceptual art, mostly by women, 1967-1989, or thereabouts.

19 hours ago, Piercing Pince-Nez said:

Wish I could say there was. Nothing concrete to go on really. Someone posted earlier something ab the size of the cohort, but it's speculation until I see the decision. What are your interests? I study american conceptual art, mostly by women, 1967-1989, or thereabouts.

Ah I see. I am trying to hold out until I receive a rejection. I've also heard their cohort size is quite small, but it seems like most film/media programs are. There was also news a few months ago that UChicago is going to be restructuring their graduate funding and supporting their grads more, but that it may result in lower amount of grads admitted. Idk, it is a toss up, but the prolonged results could mean that they are still finalizing things. I tried to call the office yesterday but did not get anyone on the phone. I am interested in colonial representation, race, film theory, Westerns/popular media and early film/photography.

6 hours ago, anselben said:

Ah I see. I am trying to hold out until I receive a rejection. I've also heard their cohort size is quite small, but it seems like most film/media programs are. There was also news a few months ago that UChicago is going to be restructuring their graduate funding and supporting their grads more, but that it may result in lower amount of grads admitted. Idk, it is a toss up, but the prolonged results could mean that they are still finalizing things. I tried to call the office yesterday but did not get anyone on the phone. I am interested in colonial representation, race, film theory, Westerns/popular media and early film/photography.

Cool, cool. Yea I'm trying not to speculate. Makes me crazy. Glad you called to get the hard info. One thing I know for sure is that the restructuring you're thinking of won't take effect until 2022ish. I know this from an email with the DGS after I expressed a similar concern.

14 hours ago, Piercing Pince-Nez said:

Cool, cool. Yea I'm trying not to speculate. Makes me crazy. Glad you called to get the hard info. One thing I know for sure is that the restructuring you're thinking of won't take effect until 2022ish. I know this from an email with the DGS after I expressed a similar concern.

Oh that’s good to know I didn’t realize it would take that long. I just saw there is a posted rejection, but says they emailed their poi. It’s not over till it’s over!

Can anyone speak to their POI relationships? Who had/has a relationship with their POI? Who had no relationship with a POI when they submitted their application? The humanities appears to be very different from the math and science fields, where potential students are “interviewed” for a lab/research position. Wondering what everyone’s experience has been thus far with regard to this...

Got a call on Saturday afternoon from Jeff Smith at Wisconsin-Madison admitting me to the PhD program. Super excited. Definitely one of my top 3, choices. My SoP didn't make me sound like a great fit, very focused on migration, border studies, and refugee images, but I got an interview and tried to explain why I thought W-M would make me a better, more well-rounded scholar and I guess that's what they wanted to hear. After 3 rejections this was definitely a cheer up. 

^Congratulations!

Heard back from Berkeley about acceptance to their Film and Media program over the weekend - feeling v honored in a way haha. Official decision letters and funding info to come in March.

Edited by ericanei

@WallaceShawn @ericanei congrats on your acceptances!!

I just received a rejection email from Uchicago’s CMS program, forwarded to the MAPH. But with at least one offer currently I will have to pass on that. Still waiting to hear back from Pittsburgh and Brown. Brown’s results don’t seem to come out till the end of February - mid March so looks like it’s on to more waiting!

I applied to 13 and have heard back from 5 so far, all rejections. Brief background, I’m an MA candidate currently in a cultural studies program, and applying for PhDs that are in that wheelhouse. I have two programs on the list that are part academia part practice since I was a photo major in undergrad. The uniting link between all of these programs is some kind of media/visual studies component. The worst part about this month is that while stressing about responses I’m also two weeks out on my MA thesis exhibition. Here’s what I have and responses so far:

MSU, English, rejection

Northwestern, Screen Cultures, rejection

Pitt, History of Art, rejection

Vanderbilt, English (the comparative studies track), rejection 

UMN, comparative studies in discourse and society, rejection

Penn State, English/Visual Studies, nothing

Duke, Art, Art History, and Visual Studies, nothing

UNC Chapel Hill, American Studies, nothing

William and Mary, American Studies, nothing

University of Iowa, communication studies, nothing

VCU, Media, Art, and Text, nothing

University of Colorado Boulder, Critical Media Practice, nothing