Ertegun 2020

eagerkat

On 1/24/2020 at 3:27 PM, eagerkat said:

I applied as part of Oriental Studies (MPhil Modern Middle East Studies). 

From reading the posts from other years, I think around early to mid-March. I wish it were sooner. I’m already going crazy

Fellow Oriental Studies applicant here (MPhil Egyptology). Where else have you applied? And what's your college preference?

15 hours ago, Edminzodo said:

Fellow Oriental Studies applicant here (MPhil Egyptology). Where else have you applied? And what's your college preference?

Oh fun! I worked with the Egyptology department while studying abroad in Cairo— such an interesting subject. How did you get interested in that field? 

I actually didn’t apply anywhere else because I decided quite late in the game to apply and only had time to make one decent app. And I didn’t elect any college preferences. What about you?

On 1/30/2020 at 2:16 AM, eagerkat said:

Oh fun! I worked with the Egyptology department while studying abroad in Cairo— such an interesting subject. How did you get interested in that field? 

I actually didn’t apply anywhere else because I decided quite late in the game to apply and only had time to make one decent app. And I didn’t elect any college preferences. What about you?

Nice! So we haven't converted you yet? ? I went on a mini hieroglyphs course in high school because there was one being offered locally, and it went from there.

Ah, okay - I applied to Queen's. Have you heard anything yet?

On 2/3/2020 at 6:09 AM, Edminzodo said:

Nice! So we haven't converted you yet? ? I went on a mini hieroglyphs course in high school because there was one being offered locally, and it went from there.

Ah, okay - I applied to Queen's. Have you heard anything yet?

It was a close call ? I did truly enjoy studying it and exploring the sites in Egypt. That’s awesome about your hieroglyphs class. What a great opportunity. 

Fun! I’ve heard that Queen’s is gorgeous. Unfortunately, I have not heard anything. As each week passes, I get more & more anxious. Have you heard anything?

On 2/7/2020 at 12:57 PM, eagerkat said:

It was a close call ? I did truly enjoy studying it and exploring the sites in Egypt. That’s awesome about your hieroglyphs class. What a great opportunity. 

Fun! I’ve heard that Queen’s is gorgeous. Unfortunately, I have not heard anything. As each week passes, I get more & more anxious. Have you heard anything?

Ah, modern means more practical, at least!

No, same here. I am a re-applicant from last year, and I had had a subject interview by this time last year, so very nervous! Hopefully we hear soon.

23 hours ago, Edminzodo said:

Ah, modern means more practical, at least!

No, same here. I am a re-applicant from last year, and I had had a subject interview by this time last year, so very nervous! Hopefully we hear soon.

Oh really? Do you know if all the disciplines hold interviews? I’m a first time applicant and can’t find any info on whether or not Middle Eastern Studies does interviews. In any case, can’t wait to hear and here’s to hoping we all hear good news!

On 2/10/2020 at 5:03 PM, eagerkat said:

Oh really? Do you know if all the disciplines hold interviews? I’m a first time applicant and can’t find any info on whether or not Middle Eastern Studies does interviews. In any case, can’t wait to hear and here’s to hoping we all hear good news!

My course said it on the webpage so maybe check that. I have no idea if it changes a lot, or at all, but best of luck!

1 hour ago, foreigncorrespondent said:

Hi, just got an informal offer for a DPhil in English. Thought I would share this, so that you know informal offers are being rolled out! :)

Congratulations!!! So exciting! Did you get the informal offer for your department or Ertegun or both?

50 minutes ago, eagerkat said:

Congratulations!!! So exciting! Did you get the informal offer for your department or Ertegun or both?

Just for my department, no updates on Ertegun yet. From my understanding, the processes start after the informal offer has been made.

Hey all! Not sure if this will be helpful to any of you, but I applied for the Ertegun last year and was shortlisted for it but ended up not receiving the scholarship. So I have some previous experience with the interview process. The timeline for me was as follows: Feb 16 (Saturday) - received an email from the DGS of my department notifying me that I had been shortlisted for the scholarship, asking to schedule a Skype interview. The interview was the following day, on Sunday 17 Feb. About a week later, on Feb 22, I received an informal offer from my department. (I pretty much knew that I would be accepted once I was shortlisted for the scholarship, though.) Each department is responsible for shortlisting and interviewing their own candidates, and then representatives from different departments meet with the Ertegun committee to discuss the final selection. Last year that meeting happened in early to mid-March. The unfortunate thing is that, in past years, the Ertegun committee hasn't notified people who were rejected from the scholarship - they only contact the winners. So if you were shortlisted and interviewed but haven't heard any news by mid-March, you'd probably want to email them to ask for an update on the offers. That's what I did, and I heard back from them within an hour of sending the inquiry email. It really sucked to find out like that, and I wish they would have just created a protocol to let us all know instead of keeping us all hanging.

From what I understand, the timeline varies from dept to dept and from year to year, so I wouldn't worry about anything just yet. I think in my year the decisions cycle came rather early for some reason. Good luck to all ! :) even just applying to Oxford is something to be proud of.

Edited by krysinska

3 hours ago, krysinska said:

Hey all! Not sure if this will be helpful to any of you, but I applied for the Ertegun last year and was shortlisted for it but ended up not receiving the scholarship. So I have some previous experience with the interview process. The timeline for me was as follows: Feb 16 (Saturday) - received an email from the DGS of my department notifying me that I had been shortlisted for the scholarship, asking to schedule a Skype interview. The interview was the following day, on Sunday 17 Feb. About a week later, on Feb 22, I received an informal offer from my department. (I pretty much knew that I would be accepted once I was shortlisted for the scholarship, though.) Each department is responsible for shortlisting and interviewing their own candidates, and then representatives from different departments meet with the Ertegun committee to discuss the final selection. Last year that meeting happened in early to mid-March. The unfortunate thing is that, in past years, the Ertegun committee hasn't notified people who were rejected from the scholarship - they only contact the winners. So if you were shortlisted and interviewed but haven't heard any news by mid-March, you'd probably want to email them to ask for an update on the offers. That's what I did, and I heard back from them within an hour of sending the inquiry email. It really sucked to find out like that, and I wish they would have just created a protocol to let us all know instead of keeping us all hanging.

From what I understand, the timeline varies from dept to dept and from year to year, so I wouldn't worry about anything just yet. I think in my year the decisions cycle came rather early for some reason. Good luck to all ! :) even just applying to Oxford is something to be proud of.

Thank you so much for this information!!

On 2/18/2020 at 3:17 PM, krysinska said:

Hey! Thank you for the information. I am also shortlisted and waiting for the results. May I ask about what happened afterwards in terms of scholarships? I have heard that the shortlist is the same for Clarendon and Ertegun, so if you do not receive Ertegun scholarship you stand a high chance of getting the Clarendon fund. 
Can you also please tell me about the interview? I am very insecure about my performance. The professor said, at the and, that I will thrive at Oxford and he strongly hopes to meet me in person and things like that, but I suppose that was just him being nice. 

On 2/28/2020 at 7:18 PM, sdsht said:

Hey! Thank you for the information. I am also shortlisted and waiting for the results. May I ask about what happened afterwards in terms of scholarships? I have heard that the shortlist is the same for Clarendon and Ertegun, so if you do not receive Ertegun scholarship you stand a high chance of getting the Clarendon fund. 
Can you also please tell me about the interview? I am very insecure about my performance. The professor said, at the and, that I will thrive at Oxford and he strongly hopes to meet me in person and things like that, but I suppose that was just him being nice. 

Hi, I've just PMed you about this! Best of luck :)