Cambridge English Programs (Fall 2020)

ashwel11

Just wanted to make a thread for people applying for an English MPhil or Ph.D. at Cambridge for the Fall. I applied for an MPhil in Criticism and Culture. I'm currently in the "under review by degree committee" phase on the portal. Apparently that's a good sign and my application got through the first stage, but I'm also not sure how positive a sign that is for the English program specifically. Anyone else in a similar boat?  

Edited by ashwel11

My only applications were for the PhD / DPhil at Oxbridge. I don’t think being “under review by committee” means anything other than you correctly submitted all of your materials, but since that’s also currently my status I am very happy to be corrected if it means more.

Just curious - Which programme did you apply to and what was your first and second choice college?

I applied for an MPhil in Criticism and Culture and I ended up not choosing a college. Yeah it might be less meaningful across departments and universities; but after looking through the Cambridge website, it's a possibility that some people were knocked out at the "review by department" stage. I could be completely wrong though! 

Well then congratulations to us for making it this far! 

I applied to the Phd Philosophy. I chose Trinity and St. Johns (which are rivals - whoops), but there are so many colleges I think I would be happy at:  King's, Corpus Christi, Gonville and Cauis, Peterhouse, Clare, Pembroke, Queens', Christ's, Jesus, St. Johns, etc. Just not a fan of the 60’s brutalist architecture so hoping for something medieval. 

Based on historical precedent - I am hoping for results the week of the 17th. Is it similar for your programme?

Also as far as I know most people don’t get interviewed - at least for the PhD philosophy - but I saw one invite on the gradcafe results page. Any idea about their interview policies in general?

Edited by musicdegree4me

2 minutes ago, musicdegree4me said:

Well then congratulations to us for making it this far! 

I applied to the Phd Philosophy. I chose Trinity and St. Johns (which are rivals - whoops), but there are so many colleges I think I would be happy at:  King's, Corpus Christi, Gonville and Cauis, Peterhouse, Clare, Pembroke, Queens', Christ's, Jesus, St. Johns, etc. Just not a fan of the 60’s brutalist architecture so hoping for something medieval. 

Based on historical precedent - I am hoping for results the week of the 17th. Is it similar for your programme?

Also as far as I know most people don’t get interviewed - at least for the PhD philosophy - but I saw one invite on the gradcafe results page. Any idea about their interview policies in general?

Yes congrats to us! I would be thrilled to be accepted into any college at Cambridge to be honest. I was going to pick a top 1 and 2, but I decided that due to funding, it would make it less complicated to just make an open application. And I believe the week of the 17th is what I am expecting as well. Although I'm sure we could here beforehand (or possibly even a bit after ?). 

I don't believe that my program conducts any interviews (especially b/c it's an MPhil); but I'm really not too positive about anything at this stage haha. 

Hello everyone!

I've applied to the PhD in English (Criticism and Culture) at Cam and DPhil in English at Oxford. I chose colleges based on what funding opportunities are available, and my friends at Cambridge tell me Corpus Christi and Selwyn are REALLY nice for graduate students so I'm hopeful on that front!

I'm curious: did you reach out to any professors? What are your research interests?

5 hours ago, foreigncorrespondent said:

Hello everyone!

I've applied to the PhD in English (Criticism and Culture) at Cam and DPhil in English at Oxford. I chose colleges based on what funding opportunities are available, and my friends at Cambridge tell me Corpus Christi and Selwyn are REALLY nice for graduate students so I'm hopeful on that front!

I'm curious: did you reach out to any professors? What are your research interests?

Another Criticism and Culture applicant, wonderful! I personally didn't reach out to any professors at Cambridge b/c I only applied for the MPhil (although now I'm starting to wonder if that was a mistake on my part). And my research interests involve the literary and theoretical examination of black women and the mental health crisis in American society. What about you? 

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that a few Mphil Crit & Culture applicants were moved to the next stage on their portal. I'm still stuck on the degree committee stage, but it might be a good idea to check your portals today if you haven't already done so :) 

On 2/11/2020 at 2:31 AM, foreigncorrespondent said:

Just an update: I have been asked to interview for the PhD in English (Criticism and Culture). Fingers crossed, will update this forum about how it goes. 

Congratulations!

1 hour ago, amelia.felix said:

Anyone else have their status change to awaiting approval by GAO? Does anyone know what this means (besides what the Cambridge website says)? 

To my knowledge, it basically means that you're in. Most people that are moved to GAO get an unofficial acceptance a few days/a week after. Congrats! :) Let us know how it goes. 

On 2/11/2020 at 4:01 PM, foreigncorrespondent said:

Just an update: I have been asked to interview for the PhD in English (Criticism and Culture). Fingers crossed, will update this forum about how it goes. 

Sharing what I was asked, for the benefit of future applicants:

1. How I arrived at my topic (preparedness, previous work)

2. I was asked to "walk (my interviewer) through my ideas"

3. Why I have chosen the topic I have 

4. Methodology/archives I hope to acces

5. Why Cambridge

6. Specific needs for my project 

Pretty standard stuff I would say; the interview is fairly short. 

Edited by foreigncorrespondent