2020 Results

mpp.2020

8 hours ago, policywonk12 said:

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, MPA, MDP, MS Social Policy
Schools Applied To:  HKS MPP, WWS MPA, SIPA MPA-DP, Harris MPP, UC Berkeley MDP, Heinz MSPPM-DA, QMSS@Columbia, UPenn SP2 MSSP-DA, Fletcher MALD, SAIS JHU MA-I DEV
Schools Admitted To: SIPA MPA-DP, Harris MPP ($$), Fletcher MALD

Schools Rejected From: None yet
Still Waiting: HKS MPP, WWS MPA, UC Berkeley MDP, Heinz MSPPM-DA, QMSS@Columbia, UPenn SP2 MSSP-DA, SAIS JHU MA-I DEV
Undergraduate Institution:  Top 20 Indian University 
Undergraduate GPA:  3.2
Undergraduate Major:  Business
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  158/156/4
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  2.5
Years of Work Experience:  2.5
Describe Relevant Work Experience: 5 months RAship with a well-known DevEcon organization + 18 months qualitative field research with a well-known US university + have been working with a multilateral for the last 5 months as a Sr. RA. Consistent thematic area across all 3 projects, more or less (which I highlighted in SoP)
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Strong - reviewed by past successful applicants
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Two law school professors I worked with as a research assistant for 18 months + an internship supervisor whose organization I've interned with twice
Other: Though I've not yet received an admit from a STEM program, would like to know the experience of international students (or those who know int'l students to make the same decision) on pros and cons of opting for a non-STEM better-ranked school v/s not so well-known STEM degree. I intend to work in the States for a couple of years before returning to my home country. Also open to the possibility of a PhD in public policy but haven't yet decided

Hi!! Congrats on your acceptances! When did you apply to Fletcher and SIPA and when did you hear back?

3 minutes ago, SAN1234 said:

Hi!! Congrats on your acceptances! When did you apply to Fletcher and SIPA and when did you hear back?

Thanks!! I'd applied for their early decision deadlines (Nov 1 for SIPA and Nov 10 for Fletcher). Fletcher notified me of the admit on December 12 while SIPA did on December 20.

1 hour ago, policywonk12 said:

Thanks!! I'd applied for their early decision deadlines (Nov 1 for SIPA and Nov 10 for Fletcher). Fletcher notified me of the admit on December 12 while SIPA did on December 20.

Congrats! Have you heard anything about financial aid from either yet? 

4 minutes ago, sloop7 said:

Congrats! Have you heard anything about financial aid from either yet? 

Thank you! Nothing from financial aid for these two, only from Harris

23 hours ago, policywonk12 said:

Schools Applied To:  HKS MPP, WWS MPA, SIPA MPA-DP, Harris MPP, UC Berkeley MDP, Heinz MSPPM-DA, QMSS@Columbia, UPenn SP2 MSSP-DA, Fletcher MALD, SAIS JHU MA-I DEV
Schools Admitted To: SIPA MPA-DP, Harris MPP ($$), Fletcher MALD, UC Berkeley MDP

Still Waiting: HKS MPP, WWS MPA, Heinz MSPPM-DA, QMSS@Columbia, UPenn SP2 MSSP-DA, SAIS JHU MA-I DEV
Describe Relevant Work Experience: 5 months RAship with a well-known DevEcon organization + 18 months qualitative field research with a well-known US university + have been working with a multilateral for the last 5 months as a Sr. RA. Consistent thematic area across all 3 projects, more or less (which I highlighted in SoP)
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Strong - reviewed by past successful applicants
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Two law school professors I worked with as a research assistant for 18 months + an internship supervisor whose organization I've interned with twice
Other:
I'd like to know the experience of international students (or those who know int'l students to make the same decision) on pros and cons of opting for a non-STEM better-ranked school v/s not so well-known STEM degree. I intend to work in the States for a couple of years before returning to my home country. Also open to the possibility of a PhD in public policy/social welfare but haven't yet decided

New Acceptance added: UC Berkeley MDP (STEM). Re-hashing the last part on choosing between STEM v/s non-STEM, could really use someone's inputs with confirmation deadlines barely a month away!

17 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

I also think you are in a tough spot, and you are gambling no matter what. 

I think this is what you have to gamble between.

1. Going into a STEM field where you are in demand (and easier to work authorization), but it is still a new program trying to figure itself out. You'll also be in a city whereby there will be lots of other international students to connect with (beyond Georgetown).

2. Going to honestly a much better professional environment that can truly empower you, BUT you are going in a program that granted is the most prestigious A: At the end of the day doesn't truly distinguish you that much from the pack (lots of MPPs out there given demand) and B: and you will be in Syracuse, New York.

Absolutely true.

Georgetown has not given any financial aid to me, hence, appealing for reconsideration. In case granted, I am leaning towards that program (given my status as an international student). In case not granted, then the dilemma is resolved and opting for Syracuse.

Meanwhile waiting for other universities and got rejection from Harris MSCAPP. Given consent for consideration for MPP. 

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP/MPA
Schools Applied To:  Princeton WWS (MPA), HKS (MPP), Columbia SIPA (MPA-DP), Duke Sanford (MPP), USC Price (MPP), NYU Wagner (MPA), Cambridge Mphil, Oxford MPP, Yale Jackson, UPenn Nonprofit Management 
Schools Admitted ToColumbia SIPA (MPA-DP), NYU Wagner (MPA), UPenn Nonprofit Management ($), USC Price MPP ($$$), Duke MPP ($$$)
Schools Rejected From:  Yale Jackson 
Still Waiting:  Princeton WWS (MPA), HKS (MPP), Cambridge (Mphil), Oxford (MPP)
Undergraduate Institution:  New York University
Undergraduate GPA: 3.93
Undergraduate Major:  Journalism 
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  Q: 160, V:163, AW: 5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2
Years of Work Experience:  2
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Founder and CEO of my own education nonprofit which has been operational for 5 years in India. Work experince with a civil rights law firm in New York, specializing in cases of discrimination, sexual assault and prison reform. Serving as an Clinton Fellow in India, working with an education nonprofit and state governments to push for education reform. 
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc) Very Strong. One from a supervisor who is a Harvard Law School grad. One from a Professor who is a Princeton grad. One from Head of HR at my organization. 
Other: N/a 

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.):  MPP and Security Studies
Schools Applied To:  UVA Batten (MPP), Georgetown McCourt (MPP), Georgetown SFS (Security Studies)
Schools Admitted To:  UVA Batten ($$), Georgetown McCourt ($$)
Schools Rejected From:  
Still Waiting:  Georgetown SFS
Undergraduate Institution:  Private, Catholic, midsize
Undergraduate GPA:   3.4
Undergraduate Major:   Homeland Security
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  152/161/4.0
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 4
Years of Work Experience:  3.5
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  State government executive branch agency
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Brutal and meandering at first, but some great editing and notes from friends and family got them to a place I ended up being very proud of.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  High-ranking professor from undergrad and some current/former coworkers 
Other:  I'm leaning towards UVA because of the well-rounded program, and I'm not sure exactly where my two Georgetown applications will land.  Would it be weird to be in the MPP program relying on School of Foreign Service for all my electives?

On 3/4/2020 at 1:10 AM, policywonk12 said:

Schools Admitted To: SIPA MPA-DP, Harris MPP ($$), Fletcher MALD

Still Waiting: HKS MPP, WWS MPA, UC Berkeley MDP, Heinz MSPPM-DA, QMSS@Columbia, UPenn SP2 MSSP-DA, SAIS JHU MA-I DEV
Other: Though I've not yet received an admit from a STEM program, would like to know the experience of international students (or those who know int'l students to make the same decision) on pros and cons of opting for a non-STEM better-ranked school v/s not so well-known STEM degree. I intend to work in the States for a couple of years before returning to my home country. Also open to the possibility of a PhD in public policy but haven't yet decided

Hi!! Fletcher MALD 2020 results are released?? I also applied but haven't heard anything back yet. When did you apply and did you get notified by an email?? Thanks!!

7 hours ago, njapp2020 said:

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.):  MPP and Security Studies
Schools Applied To:  UVA Batten (MPP), Georgetown McCourt (MPP), Georgetown SFS (Security Studies)
Schools Admitted To:  UVA Batten ($$), Georgetown McCourt ($$)
Schools Rejected From:  
Still Waiting:  Georgetown SFS
Undergraduate Institution:  Private, Catholic, midsize
Undergraduate GPA:   3.4
Undergraduate Major:   Homeland Security
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  152/161/4.0
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 4
Years of Work Experience:  3.5
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  State government executive branch agency
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Brutal and meandering at first, but some great editing and notes from friends and family got them to a place I ended up being very proud of.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  High-ranking professor from undergrad and some current/former coworkers 
Other:  I'm leaning towards UVA because of the well-rounded program, and I'm not sure exactly where my two Georgetown applications will land.  Would it be weird to be in the MPP program relying on School of Foreign Service for all my electives?

If you are interested in foreign relations (outside of international development program analytics and data based management) or anything international relations focused that isn't program analysis specific, McCourt MPP is not the school for you. Due to the high requirement for data analytics core classes, there are limited opportunities for electives. Although hypothetically you can take electives elsewhere, cross registration only allows you to get classes that are either A: reserved for outside of the program (usually one or two per class) or B: leftovers. So basically, good luck taking the classes that are in demand. Sounds like you would be best off doing Georgetown SFS  (Security Studies) - if you are totally cool with just interning a lot on the side / working part time for your career interests. I will say, I do admire how UVA really has an awesome student culture and has a more holistically focused program. However, from a professional perspective, there is a lot to be said about the Georgetown mafia in all things government in DC.

On 3/4/2020 at 8:18 PM, policywonk12 said:

@Graccce6688 Hope this helps. You could expect to hear back by April 1 or earlier as per what they've mentioned here: https://fletcher.tufts.edu/admissions-aid/application-deadlines

17 hours ago, Graccce6688 said:

Hi!! Fletcher MALD 2020 results are released?? I also applied but haven't heard anything back yet. When did you apply and did you get notified by an email?? Thanks!!

11 hours ago, policywonk12 said:

@Graccce6688 Hope this helps. You could expect to hear back by April 1 or earlier as per what they've mentioned here: https://fletcher.tufts.edu/admissions-aid/application-deadlines

FYI you will not have to wait until April 1 for Fletcher (MALD) decisions. They’re being released next week

(and it’s just a hunch but I’d be willing to bet that they’ll be out by Tuesday, or, in the case they run some hiccup, Wednesday at the very latest)

EDIT: according to someone in the Fletcher 2020 thread one of the admissions people told them that they’re aiming to decisions out on the 9th (Monday), so it might be even sooner. Good luck!

Edited by middleeastgeek102

On 2/25/2020 at 9:31 PM, PupCakes said:

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.):  IR - MA, MSFS
Schools Applied To:  Georgetown MSFS, GWU Elliott, Johns Hopkins SAIS, American SIS
Schools Admitted To:  American, GWU
Schools Rejected From:  
Still Waiting:  Georgetown, Johns Hopkins
Undergraduate Institution:  University of Florida
Undergraduate GPA:   3.46
Undergraduate Major:  Anthropology
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  Didn't Submit/Weren't Required (rocked the verbal, quant, not so much, lol)
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  2 months
Years of Work Experience:  7-9 depending on what you think counts.
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Over 9 years in the US Navy working within the government as foreign language and intelligence analyst with ~ 2 of those years spent acquiring two different foreign languages.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Fairly strong, I think. Described why I thought I would be a good fit and what I could contribute to the programs. Focused on where I've been, where I am now, and where I want to be in terms of IR. Had two mentors look over and give feedback on multiple revisions.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Strong. One academic and two profressional, though one of the pros has seen me in academic settings multiple times over the course of many years. All of my recommenders know me very well. I waived my right to see them, but one sent me an overwhelmingly positive draft.
Other:

Admissions update: I'm in at Georgetown MSFS and JHU SAIS!! I can't believe I went 4/4!!!!!

On 2/26/2020 at 4:21 PM, rcarvano said:

For anyone who applied to GW for MPA or MPP when are you expecting to hear back? I think I made a good case for myself (2nd post is my criteria) just getting nervous! 

I just checked the portal, and though I haven't received an email yet, my GW MPA decision was ready! Accepted and said that I would receive an email about merit-based aid "shortly."

11 hours ago, PupCakes said:

Admissions update: I'm in at Georgetown MSFS and JHU SAIS!! I can't believe I went 4/4!!!!!

Congrats!  How were you notified? I checked the portal but there is no change. 

10 hours ago, jmc0902 said:

Congrats!  How were you notified? I checked the portal but there is no change. 

Thanks! For MSFS, I got an email saying that I was being recommended for admission and that an official acceptance letter would follow in the coming weeks. I would assume for that one that the portal won't be updated until official notices are sent. For SAIS I got an email saying to check the application portal as my decision was ready.

On 2/26/2020 at 5:05 PM, failure2connect said:

Update:

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP and MPA
Schools Applied To:  Chicago Harris, U Mich, Carnegie Heinz, Cornell, Brandeis, American (MPA), GWU (MPA)
Schools Admitted To:  Brandeis ($$), American ($$), Harris ($$), Heinz ($$$), GWU (?), UM ($)
Schools Rejected From:  
Still Waiting: Cornell
Undergraduate Institution:  
Undergraduate GPA:   3.8
Undergraduate Major:  International Studies
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  155/170/4.5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  2
Years of Work Experience:  2
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Two years of AmeriCorps with nonprofits and local gov
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  strong - reviewed by various peers, a prof, and a current student at Heinz
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  idk, I hope they're strong but didn't feel comfortable asking to see them
Other: Spent a year in undergrad in a study abroad program in a "non-traditional" country

Finally heard back from all my schools!

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP (specifically quantitative programs)

Schools Applied To:  UChicago Harris MSCAPP, Carnegie Mellon Heinz MSPPM-DA, Duke Sanford MPP, UMichigan Ford MPP

Schools Admitted To:  Harris MSCAPP ($$), Heinz MSPPM-DA ($$$), Sanford MPP ($$$), Ford MPP ($)
Schools Rejected From: 
Still Waiting:  
Undergraduate Institution: Research University in US
Undergraduate GPA: 3.65
Undergraduate Major:  Economics/Public Health
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  Q: 163, V:164, AW: 5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3 when starting
Years of Work Experience:  3
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  I work as an economic consultant with a focus on labor economics. I do a lot of statistical programming and econometrics. Also work as a volunteer on a sexual assault hotline.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc) Honestly have no idea. One economics professor from undergrad that I took many classes from, TAed for, and wrote my thesis under. Two partners at my firm who I work with- one economics PhD, one political science PhD. They both wrote them on the due date for all schools which was a little nerve-wracking but I am sure they were nice.

Other: Went to the accepted students day at Harris and really loved it. The professors and professional staff there seem amazing and it looks like I would be able to do the MSCAPP program and take classes in health policy which is what I want. Since all the other accepted students days are the same weekend, I am probably only going to additionally visit Heinz.  It is hard to turn down not going into debt though… My decision will probably hinge on if Harris increases their offer, we will see.

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MA IR
Schools Applied To:  Georgetown MSFS, Johns Hopkins SAIS DC, Columbia SIPA
Schools Admitted To:  Georgetown MSFS, Johns Hopkins SAIS DC ($$)
Schools Rejected From:  
Still Waiting:  Columbia SIPA
Undergraduate Institution:  Washington University in St. Louis
Undergraduate GPA:   3.46
Undergraduate Major:  Anthropology
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  160/169/5.0
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  6
Years of Work Experience:  7
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Peace Corps, Peace Corps Response, couple internships abroad with UN Partner Agencies
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I conveyed a clear purpose for studying at each school. Spent a lot of time on each essay and mentioned specific courses. Others reviewed and provided feedback.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I know two were very strong, one likely strong. One past professor, one IDEV project supervisor, and one Peace Corps supervisor
Other: I think the years of experience in IDEV (particularly education) and a clear reason to study at these schools helped balance out the underwhelming undergrad GPA. 

•  

Heard back from both of my schools last week. I figured I would add some data points to this forum, which was super helpful as I was waiting for a decision. Hopefully this helps anyone who also is applying to data analysis programs. I was concerned by how few programs there were for MPP data analysis and my chances of getting in with no work experience, but it all worked out!

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.):  MPP Programs - Data Analytics / Data Science in Public Policy Tracks
Schools Applied To:  Georgetown McCourt MS DSPP and Carnegie Mellon Heinz MSPPM DA
Schools Admitted To:  Georgetown (20%) and Carnegie Mellon (50%)
Schools Rejected From:  N/A
Still Waiting:  N/A
Undergraduate Institution:  Public state school
Undergraduate GPA:   3.94
Undergraduate Major:  Business Analytics/Economics, Poli Sci Minor
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  162/162/4.5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  0
Years of Work Experience: Research position in undergrad and two internships
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  School year research position working with public sector clients, internship with state government, internship with association in DC (none in data analyst position)
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Talked about my desire to expand my data analysis skill set to public policy and highlighted my goals for the program. I related everything back to my work experience and thesis research, but no strong "why public policy"  personal hook. I had several people read and edit my statement so I am confident it was well written.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Two academic and one professional. The two I read were strong, third was likely strong. Director of studies, thesis advisor, and research position supervisor.
Other:  I think I had a strong resume that indicated I had sustained interest in public policy and data analysis. I was concerned I did not have a super specific research interest area, but I think because data analysis is specialized it didn't matter as much as a pure MPP program.

Very happy I got scholarship money to both schools. I have heard that Georgetown will match offers from Carnegie, but I feel set on Carnegie Mellon so I am not going to ask Georgetown for more money. 

On 2/7/2020 at 10:23 PM, educationmatters said:

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPA, MPP in nonprofit/education 
Schools Applied To:  IU, Brown, Duke, ASU, U Minn, U Mich, NYU, Northwestern, USC, UCB, UCLA, UCR, Georgetown, Cornell, USC.
Schools Admitted To:  ASU, U Minn.
Schools Rejected From:  n/a but didn't get into Brown early action, they put me back into the normal pool.
Still Waiting:  IU, Brown, Duke, U Mich, NYU, Northwestern, USC, UCB, UCLA, UCR, Georgetown, Cornell, USC.
Undergraduate Institution:  LMU University of Munich (top 30 school worldwide)
Undergraduate GPA: 3.7  
Undergraduate Major: American Studies, Law Minor 
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  147/157/4.5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  n/a
Years of Work Experience:  4
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  3 years of education work in government, currently a house intern, helped found a nonprofit in college where I footed the financial/legal work.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Pretty strong, had professor input but some are stronger than others.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Very strong, worked for many professors and had good relationships.
Other: Originally from the US, studied almost totally in German (a little unique), worked for school system in US and Germany. Very active in extracurriculars and working part time in administrative and education positions. Difficult upbringing which ties together an interest in education/nonprofit work.

Update: accepted by Duke ($$), U Mich, USC, Georgetown ($), and Cornell ($$$$). No rejections yet.

Found this forum very helpful when applying, so figured I'd contribute.

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP (or Equivalent), IAPA at American 
Schools Applied To:  UT Austin , Carnegie Mellon, Michigan, Georgetown, American, George Washington
Schools Admitted To:   UT Austin (in-state) , Carnegie Mellon ($$$), Georgetown, American ($$), George Washington
Schools Rejected From:  Michigan
Still Waiting:  
Undergraduate Institution:  Large public commuter school (US News ranking 150-200)
Undergraduate GPA:   3.25 (Upper division GPA was 3.85, not sure how helpful this was)
Undergraduate Major:  History
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  155/164/4.0 
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  4 upon matriculation
Years of Work Experience:  3ish
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Peace Corps, a couple semi relevant internships (Public Health)
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Tied in work experience pretty well and showed specific interests. Had  professors I know look over it, and it was relatively solid. However, I don't think it was incredibly compelling or anything.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  2 Peace Corps staff members including Country director and 1 History professor. Didn't read them, but frankly I wasn't particularly close with any of the recommenders.
Other: I did terribly in my quant classes in college (first 2 years of school went poorly), and my GRE quant score isn't great, but these seemed to not handicap me too much. I was in the Peace Corps while applying and had very limited opportunities to travel to the capital to take the tests - had I been in America I would've retaken. 

I've decided on Carnegie Mellon.

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MIA
 Schools Applied To: Texas A&M Bush School 
Schools Admitted To: A&M ($$$$)
Schools Rejected From: n/a
Still Waiting:  n/a
Undergraduate Institution:  non-flagship state university in Texas
Undergraduate GPA:  3.8
Undergraduate Major:  IR
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  not required for gpa above 3.2
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): not quite a year
Years of Work Experience: 1.5
Describe Relevant Work Experience: research on comparative politics, assistant to journal editor, IR-focused internship
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I think the SOP and the international experience essay (required for the MIA) were good. In hindsight, I should have asked my mentor to review them beforehand, but what's done is done.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I believe they were strong. One came from my mentor who I've done significant research with. The other two were from former professors who I took multiple courses with.
Other: I'm beyond blessed and grateful to get into my first and only choice with a significant funding offer. To those who worry that you won't get into grad school because your profile isn't stellar, don't be afraid to try. Even if you don't get the results you hope for, you can use the process as a learning experience, and try again next year. 

Hey, all! I posted early on, but my cycle just finally (for the most part) wrapped up yesterday, so I wanted to give a little recap showing all my results for those interested. I have a bit of an interesting background with a lot of work experience, which I suppose must have made up for my sub-par undergraduate GPA.

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, MPA, MS (MS in Science, Technology, and Environmental Policy) and some joint degrees including Berkeley's MPP/ERG and Michigan's MPP/MS in Environment and Sustainability
Schools Applied To:

• UC Berkeley Goldman School Concurrent MPP and Energy and Resources Group (MPP/ERG)
  • UW Madison La Follette MPA with a certificate in Energy Analysis and Policy
  • University of Minnesota Humphrey School Master of Science in Science, Technology, and Environmental Policy (MS-STEP)
  • University of Michigan Joint Ford School MPP and School for Environment and Sustainability (SEAS) MPP/MS in Environment and Sustainability and Public Policy
  • University of Washington Evans School MPA with the Environmental Policy specialization
  • CU Boulder Masters of the Environment (MENV) with the Environmental Policy specialization
  • CU Denver School of Public Affairs MPA in Environmental Policy, Management, and Law
  • UC San Diego School of Global Policy and Strategy (GPS) Environmental Policy Specialization

Schools Admitted To:  UW Madison, Minnesota,  Michigan (accepted to both SEAS and Ford), Washington, CU Boulder, CU Denver, UCSD
Schools Rejected From:  Got rejected from the Berkeley ERG program but waitlisted to the Goldman School itself.
Still Waiting:  None!
Undergraduate Institution:  UW Madison
Undergraduate GPA:   3.0X for all of it, but 3.2ish last 60 credits
Undergraduate Major:  Zoology, Spanish, Latin American Studies (triple major)
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  60/154/6.0
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  6
Years of Work Experience:  5 years of relevant work experience
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  A pretty diverse range of relevant work experience ranging from wildlife field research on BLM and DOD land, a lot of land use experience with energy/agriculture/you name it, experience as an environmental consultant preparing environmental review documents for major state regulatory agencies, CEQA/NEPA author. I don't have published research per se but I have authored many environmental review documents that were published for local, state, and federal agencies (a variety of topics including energy, zoning ordinance amendments, development, etc). 
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I'm a good writer. I hate this type of writing, but I feel relatively certain that these were very strong.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I also assume good? Two former coworkers and a former professor. I didn't read them. I truly do not understand how all these people know how strong their LORs are. Didn't you guys all check the box waiving your right to read the letters? That's what I did.

In all I'm really thrilled, and leaning a bit towards the MS-STEP program at Minnesota, where I was offered both a fellowship and a scholarship. Sure, I got into Michigan which is a great program and all, but it's also a financially prohibitive program. I really don't believe that my opportunities upon graduating from Michigan will make me so much happier than my opportunities upon graduating from Minnesota, and I could attend Minnesota without accruing any debt. I think that had I been coming right from undergrad, I'd be drawn in by Michigan's prestige, but quite frankly I quite like the Minnesota program, and I have from the start. If there's a program that I really like, and I could attend it with minimal financial burden, it seems silly not to accept.

Now we've got the whole COVID-19 scenario with the visit days, though. That's interesting haha.