Is it safe to say that all PhD programs interview?

gls2814

I'm just curious as to what to expect from programs.

I applied to 8 anthro programs for cultural anthropology and I've had 2 interviews, 1 rejection, and crickets from the other 5 schools. I'm just curious if I should be expecting interviews for all of them (provided, of course, that I even make it that far).

I would say most programs do interviews, especially those prestige ones (Harvard, Chicago, Stanford, UCB, etc.) - but it depends on the department admission policy. Some schools don’t do interviews (maybe UCLA?), some are like half-half (Santa Cruz). But if you have seen an interview post here on the result page and you still haven’t heard anything from your programs, then most likely it is going to be rejections.

I would say historically anthropology is a field that doesn't do interviews similar to sociology. However they might be shifting toward more interviews, who knows? I applied to around 8 programs as well and got 1 interview, 1 acceptance with no interview even though other people posted they had interviews with POIs,1 rejection with a school that did interviews, and I haven't heard from the other schools.  So I think the major thing is that it varies between schools.

Hi, I would say the best way to check if a program offers interviews or not is to go to result page and search for school name+anthropology. If there is a trend that nobody reports an interview in a few years, but people do report acceptance, then the program probably doesn't offer interviews.

Most top programs do interview at least some of their applicants.

20 hours ago, tbk86 said:

did they tell you why or normally they dont do.

Looking at results from previous years on here it doesn't look like IU usually does interviews

20 hours ago, NicholeB said:

I was just accepted to IUB without an interview

Formal notification or email from POI? I've heard nothing from them and I'm wondering whether I should assume it's a wash.

On 1/31/2020 at 3:46 PM, gls2814 said:

I'm just curious as to what to expect from programs.

I applied to 8 anthro programs for cultural anthropology and I've had 2 interviews, 1 rejection, and crickets from the other 5 schools. I'm just curious if I should be expecting interviews for all of them (provided, of course, that I even make it that far).

PhD, similar discipline.

One department flew me out from Canada to the states and involved an interview, campus tour, and dinner. Another only involved a phone interview. Most of them didn't interview at all (even when they accepted).