Hey everyone, I wanted to start a thread for people applying for FLAS (foreign language area studies) funding for the upcoming summer 2020 session or the 20-21 academic year. I'm applying for Filipino at Cornell University and University of Wisconsin-Madison.  Anyone else applying? We could suffer together and keep each other posted on notification status.

Anyone who has received a FLAS award before, would you be so kind to give some general insight? I know the whole system is decentralized and different on a school-to-school basis, but just some ideas about how you did it and when you got the acceptance/rejection.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for FLAS funding for Korean at Stanford, but even getting into Stanford is a long shot lol. I don't think I'll be hearing back until around March. I'm a bit concerned because I only applied for MA, not PhD, and also I'm only at second year Korean and I think they prioritize more advanced levels. But a girl can dream!

On 2/19/2020 at 2:30 PM, jadeisokay said:

i'm a current MA student applying for funding for my 2nd year. it'll be my fourth year of russian study. i'd be over the moon to get funding and stipend so i can work less. 

Wouldn't it be nice? I'm starting the first year of my MA degree Fall 2020 and I'm worried about managing my student workload with my actual workload because rent doesn't pay itself!

On 2/23/2020 at 8:06 PM, Nikita S. said:

Hi~ Most likely entering Cornell University's Asian Studies MA in Fall 2020, I'm applying for FLAS in Indonesian/Malay!

Fantastic!! I was offered acceptance and am strongly considering the program! However, I am hesitant to officially accept until I hear about FLAS for Filipino because I do not think I can attend without funding. What is your situation like? Great to "meet" you btw and best of luck with FLAS!

On 2/19/2020 at 1:04 PM, Ilovesoup1997 said:

I applied for FLAS funding for Korean at Stanford, but even getting into Stanford is a long shot lol. I don't think I'll be hearing back until around March. I'm a bit concerned because I only applied for MA, not PhD, and also I'm only at second year Korean and I think they prioritize more advanced levels. But a girl can dream!

Best of luck to you! I am also only going for an MA right now and going in second year. I am worried that the notification will come close or past the decision deadline..so I hope it comes in March. A girl can definitely dream! If you want, keep me posted on when your notification comes in. I know it's a school to school basis, but might provide a general ballpark to settle my impatience haha

On 2/19/2020 at 3:30 PM, jadeisokay said:

i'm a current MA student applying for funding for my 2nd year. it'll be my fourth year of russian study. i'd be over the moon to get funding and stipend so i can work less. 

I'm hoping the best for you!! That stipend is so crucial. I'm going into my grad program in fall 2020 and I KNOW i'm going to end up working a lot for money reasons. 

53 minutes ago, elizbiz said:

Best of luck to you! I am also only going for an MA right now and going in second year. I am worried that the notification will come close or past the decision deadline..so I hope it comes in March. A girl can definitely dream! If you want, keep me posted on when your notification comes in. I know it's a school to school basis, but might provide a general ballpark to settle my impatience haha

Thank you!! I think I've heard for Stanford they find out with their acceptance, which last year was around March 5th, so hopefully sometime soon!! I really don't want to take out loans and there's no way I can afford it otherwise. Best of luck to you as well!

34 minutes ago, Ilovesoup1997 said:

Thank you!! I think I've heard for Stanford they find out with their acceptance, which last year was around March 5th, so hopefully sometime soon!! I really don't want to take out loans and there's no way I can afford it otherwise. Best of luck to you as well!

Thanks, I appreciate it! I am in a similar boat as well, I do not want to take out loans (especially for a 2 year degree) and I don't have the financials at all to afford it without funding. Fingers crossed for the both of us!!!

On 2/27/2020 at 1:58 PM, elizbiz said:

Thanks, I appreciate it! I am in a similar boat as well, I do not want to take out loans (especially for a 2 year degree) and I don't have the financials at all to afford it without funding. Fingers crossed for the both of us!!!

I got my Stanford decision letter and got in (!!!) but no word on FLAS so I guess that means either I didn't get it or they haven't decided yet. But I think I just didn't get it.

On 3/1/2020 at 8:10 PM, Ilovesoup1997 said:

I got my Stanford decision letter and got in (!!!) but no word on FLAS so I guess that means either I didn't get it or they haven't decided yet. But I think I just didn't get it.

Congratulations on Stanford, that's incredible!!!! I'm super excited for you on this. I know FLAS usually takes a while and from what I have heard and read, it doesn't seem to normally come with the acceptance offer. I would give it a little longer, although I know how TOUGH it is to keep waiting, because you might be surprised!

1 hour ago, elizbiz said:

Congratulations on Stanford, that's incredible!!!! I'm super excited for you on this. I know FLAS usually takes a while and from what I have heard and read, it doesn't seem to normally come with the acceptance offer. I would give it a little longer, although I know how TOUGH it is to keep waiting, because you might be surprised!

Oh I’m going no matter what. FLAS would just be veryyyyyy nice to ease the financial burden. 

On 3/3/2020 at 2:11 PM, Valorship98 said:

Should we all just make a pact to go to our top school regardless of funding lol

I wish I could but unfortunately financials (and future financials/debt) aren't something that I have the privilege to step away from. ?

I just got an email from Cornell saying that they have received my application and faculty will begin to review them today. Hopefully the process goes quickly!!!

Edited by elizbiz
typo

I got into Georgetown's MASIA program... without FLAS the total cost would be 123k, eep. Does anyone know if the FLAS funding is a one-time thing or is it renewable for the second year, too? 

On 3/7/2020 at 2:53 PM, AONomad said:

I got into Georgetown's MASIA program... without FLAS the total cost would be 123k, eep. Does anyone know if the FLAS funding is a one-time thing or is it renewable for the second year, too? 

Congrats on Georgetown! From my knowledge, FLAS is only a one academic year award. For additional years, you would have to reapply. I'm not sure that this is a universal standard, but that is what I have heard from my schools and have read from other posts. Also it might vary between schools as to how they dispense their awards and if previous awardees can get preference or do not. I would contact GT's FLAS Coordinator or someone in your department and ask about some specifics.

Additional update: I received word that I am a finalist for FLAS at UW Madison! Hope this might be able to help gauge others' decision timelines. However, with this covid-19 crisis, I bet things are slowing down with award decisions.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 3:43 PM, AONomad said:

Great, thank you for the info! And congrats for getting into UW Madison! One of my best friends is doing a PhD there :)

Thank you! And what does your friend study?

I was actually notified that I got FLAS at Madison! I am over the moon, but I unfortunately I have another funding package at Syracuse that I can't turn down. Maybe Madison in the future! Have you heard from GT?

Update: I am received an email from Cornell that they are delaying the notification of their FLAS recipients. Supposedly they will try to send something out mid-week. 

Haven't heard from GT yet, fingers crossed... and good luck with Cornell!

And my friend, hrm, don't remember what he's researching, something relating to AI ethics I think, not 100% sure.