Student Feedback on NYU Steinhardt

Hi,

I am receiving a lot of mixed feedback about NYU Steinhardt's online master's program. I got accepted there and at another school but I would be required to move. I don't know if I should choose the program where I would get to be in the classroom (but move across the country) or pick the school where I get to stay home and do it online..

I think hearing from students who actually went through the program or even know someone who went through the program would be really helpful. Please let me know anything you know about NYU Steinhardt's online full-time master's program.

I’m a practicum supervisor. My current student is in her final semester in the Speech@NYU program.

As a supervisor, I can see that they manage to train you pretty well. NYU has contracts with sites all over the country (they are considering setting up a satellite campus in CA because so many students are on the west coast), so no worries there. She’s well-versed in many adult neurogenic treatment techniques and is independent enough to find more information. I assume part of that self-sufficiency is ingrained when you have to work through a rigorous program on your own time. The electives are great, better than the ones offered where I went to graduate school (a SUNY program). I would recommend it, at least from the perspective of a practicing clinician. The online vs. in-person argument seems situated around fit, as opposed to quality, at least in NYU’s case.

Hopefully some current or former students can chime in on the class structure and level of support.

I just graduated this past December! I felt supported by my professors and had no problem connecting with classmates all over the country. I see that you are located in CA (as am I), which is an advantage as there are a ton of Speech@NYU students here. I chose this program because I still wanted to be able to work part-time, and it was flexible with my schedule. My practicum experiences were at a school, private practice, and a SNF, which I all enjoyed and learned so much. I still keep in touch with my previous supervisors and one did comment that her NYU students (she had 2 of us in separate semesters), were very knowledgeable on pediatric language disorders compared to other students she had. I was quite flattered by that. I do agree that NYU trains us very well, and just because it's an online program doesn't mean it is less rigorous. It definitely gets tough, just like any other grad program. I also think NYU prepares us extremely well for the PRAXIS. I haven't heard of anyone not passing it so far! There are also plenty of job opportunities as a CF once you graduate. I just started my CFY last week at a school, and my other classmates have found positions in other settings as well. Good luck with your decision!

• 3 months later...
On 2/11/2020 at 10:41 PM, speechlang said:

Hi,

I am receiving a lot of mixed feedback about NYU Steinhardt's online master's program. I got accepted there and at another school but I would be required to move. I don't know if I should choose the program where I would get to be in the classroom (but move across the country) or pick the school where I get to stay home and do it online..

I think hearing from students who actually went through the program or even know someone who went through the program would be really helpful. Please let me know anything you know about NYU Steinhardt's online full-time master's program.

Edited by Origami_Princess

• 1 year later...