Masters 2020 Thread

UndergradDad

On 3/17/2020 at 8:49 AM, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

Anyone know a whole lot about CSU LA and/or CSU Long Beach? The only concern I have about UNM at this point is that it is not in a location with a cluster of universities, although since it is an M.A. that is less of a concern. Still, it's obvious that there's a larger scholarly community in any coastal city. The Stony Brook program looks actually pretty good and the students I've emailed are very enthused about the program (and it really is unique), but UNM has reliable placement data and seems to be overall a safer bet. It's also a growing department with younger faculty, so I'd imagine the faculty have more of an actual reason to invest in current students than at more esteemed universities with several professors in their 70s and 80s.

It's been a while since I've researched MA programs, but I remember CSULA as having a good placement record. That might be a good reason to seriously consider CSULA over UNM.

Edit: I looked at UNM's placement. In my opinion, the placement record does not seem very strong there when compared to CSULA. 

Personally, I would choose CSULA. PM me if you'd like to talk things through any further.

I also saw you inquiring about Texas Tech. I went there and had a positive experience, so feel free to PM me about that too.

Edited by The_Last_Thylacine

56 minutes ago, The_Last_Thylacine said:

It's been a while since I've researched MA programs, but I remember CSULA as having a good placement record. That might be a good reason to seriously consider CSULA over UNM.

Edit: I looked at UNM's placement. In my opinion, the placement record does not seem very strong there when compared to CSULA. 

Personally, I would choose CSULA. PM me if you'd like to talk things through any further.

I also saw you inquiring about Texas Tech. I went there and had a positive experience, so feel free to PM me about that too.

CSULA does have a good placement record, although UNM's is pretty strong into programs I'm most interested in and I believe would be good into other programs I'd be considering (Northwestern, etc.). As far as faculty goes, UNM is very, very strong in most of my areas of interest. It's also a pretty small and new program (they've graduate roughly two M.A. students a year since 2005). 

CSULA hasn't updated placement in a while, apparently because the whole website is being redone at the moment (I emailed and asked). CSU LA's placement is a bit more diverse, which is nice. I'll definitely apply to CSU LA, as it makes pretty good sense to do so. Other schools that already had deadlines but are still accepting applicants... ehhhhh, maybe not. I've got enough options on my plate right now!

I've talked to students at both, and all were highly enthused about their respective programs. I might PM you later!

Just wanted to chime in to recommend the program at the University of Houston. My experience as a student has been overwhelmingly positive. This year so far we have first-round offers from Northwestern, Michigan, UCSD, UCR, and Ohio State. High wait-listers at Cornell, UNC, and Arizona. I'm happy to answer questions about working with particular faculty and the like.

Deadline info is below.

• Applications for Teaching Assistantships may be accepted as late as April 1, 2020, but for full consideration, the deadline is March 1, 2020.  (It can take some time to process transcripts, both at the sending and receiving ends, so it is wise to send in your application well before the deadline. For further information, contact the director of graduate admissions.)
  • Applicants who do not wish to be considered for a teaching assistantship may submit completed applications as late as May 1, 2020. However after April 15, the department will close applications as soon as the class entering in Fall 2020 is full. Therefore, it is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.

Guest Kim F.

Hopefully someone can answer but has anyone heard from UNC MSW 3 year program? I emailed the admissions office but no luck

For those of you who got into Brandeis, did the letter say full tuition remission explicitly? This was what mine said:

" Your offer should include need and merit-based scholarships, along with the opportunity to serve as a course assistant during your time at Brandeis. GSAS will be in touch with you in the next few days with an official offer, but I wanted to get in touch personally to share the news!"

1 hour ago, Flossifer said:

For those of you who got into Brandeis, did the letter say full tuition remission explicitly? This was what mine said:

" Your offer should include need and merit-based scholarships, along with the opportunity to serve as a course assistant during your time at Brandeis. GSAS will be in touch with you in the next few days with an official offer, but I wanted to get in touch personally to share the news!"

My email said the same thing. I think tuition/scholarship info would be included only in the GSAS formal letter

16 minutes ago, lifeofpipi said:

My email said the same thing. I think tuition/scholarship info would be included only in the GSAS formal letter

Thanks. On the results page some people said full tuition remission, so I was curious. How are you weighing this versus some of your other offers? I think I prefer this to GSU, especially provided there is tuition remission and an assistantship. Does this compare to Milwaukee for you? It seems that they have a strong placement record...and I like that you can take courses at Tufts/Harvard/MIT.

Anybody else have thoughts on the program?

6 minutes ago, Flossifer said:

Thanks. On the results page some people said full tuition remission, so I was curious. How are you weighing this versus some of your other offers? I think I prefer this to GSU, especially provided there is tuition remission and an assistantship. Does this compare to Milwaukee for you? It seems that they have a strong placement record...and I like that you can take courses at Tufts/Harvard/MIT.

Anybody else have thoughts on the program?

I'm not sure how much tuition remission/funding I would get from Brandeis. If I get full tuition remission then I think I might need to talk to current/past students at Brandeis, UWM and Tufts to make the final call. They all have good placement records. But location-wise I have a strong preference for the Boston area

59 minutes ago, lifeofpipi said:

I'm not sure how much tuition remission/funding I would get from Brandeis. If I get full tuition remission then I think I might need to talk to current/past students at Brandeis, UWM and Tufts to make the final call. They all have good placement records. But location-wise I have a strong preference for the Boston area

Same. I will probably decline GSU. Then depends largely on funding.

On 3/24/2020 at 5:10 PM, lifeofpipi said:

If I were you and if I could afford it, I'd go to Tufts. Otherwise, I'd go to UW-Milwaukee. But that's just my two-cents...