Masters 2020 Thread

UndergradDad

2 hours ago, 711fanatic said:

Someone posted a Boston College masters acceptance last night--anyone else get any response from the masters program? I haven't 

hey I was the one who posted the BC masters acceptance - got an email at 11:20pm ET yesterday to check the online portal. Maybe you can call/email them to inquire?

Can anyone tell me about the M.A. programs at Texas Tech and CSU Long Beach? I'm planning on submitting apps to CSU LA and Wisconsin-Milwaukee this upcoming weekend after I inform my recommenders of my plan. I am planning on accepting New Mexico's admissions offer, but it couldn't hurt to have a few more options to worth with.

45 minutes ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

Can anyone tell me about the M.A. programs at Texas Tech and CSU Long Beach? I'm planning on submitting apps to CSU LA and Wisconsin-Milwaukee this upcoming weekend after I inform my recommenders of my plan. I am planning on accepting New Mexico's admissions offer, but it couldn't hurt to have a few more options to worth with.

Is it still possible to apply for the Texas Tech and  Wisconsin-Milwaukee?! I am not sure but I think their deadlines have been passed. 

12 hours ago, ogngx said:

Rejected by Georgia State and American University / Waitlisted by Northern Illinois and Colorado State / Accepted by the University of Mississippi / Still waiting to hear from Texas Tech, Houston, and Louisiana State

I've also been accepted to Mississippi do you intend on going there?

On 2/23/2020 at 12:39 PM, downwardabsolute said:

Hey everyone. I'm finishing up my second/final year at Tufts, currently applying to PhDs. If anyone has any questions about the program, feel free to shoot me a DM. 

How expensive is it? I know they aren't fully funded. Correct?

1 hour ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

How expensive is it? I know they aren't fully funded. Correct?

Tuition remission varies between students, but most students have to pay just under $20,000 ($16,000 in my case), all of which is due during the first year. During the second year no tuition is paid, and each semester thereafter (if you elect to stay longer) costs $800.

18 hours ago, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

Tuition remission varies between students, but most students have to pay just under $20,000 ($16,000 in my case), all of which is due during the first year. During the second year no tuition is paid, and each semester thereafter (if you elect to stay longer) costs $800.

oh wow. That is much better than I thought it was. So, basically you paid 4k a semester? that is really not bad at all. Hmm. I wish I'd known that when I was applying for MA programs 2016, lol. Thank you for the information. I'm sure someone else will find it beneficial.

1 hour ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

oh wow. That is much better than I thought it was. So, basically you paid 4k a semester? that is really not bad at all. Hmm. I wish I'd known that when I was applying for MA programs 2016, lol. Thank you for the information. I'm sure someone else will find it beneficial.

Yes, but bear in mind two things:

1) All 20 grand must be paid in the period between the September of your first semester and the January of your second. So, while it is only 5 grand a semester, you do need to have 20 grand in liquidity over a period of about 5 months.

2) This is just the cost of tuition - not the cost of attending Tufts! Medford/Somerville is a pretty expensive area, and you can expect to pay $600-$800 a month on rent just to share a 1 bedroom apartment with roommates. Many students take jobs to supplement their income (TAships pay about $1,000/mo while school is in session). 

On 3/11/2020 at 2:27 PM, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

Yes, but bear in mind two things:

1) All 20 grand must be paid in the period between the September of your first semester and the January of your second. So, while it is only 5 grand a semester, you do need to have 20 grand in liquidity over a period of about 5 months.

2) This is just the cost of tuition - not the cost of attending Tufts! Medford/Somerville is a pretty expensive area, and you can expect to pay $600-$800 a month on rent just to share a 1 bedroom apartment with roommates. Many students take jobs to supplement their income (TAships pay about $1,000/mo while school is in session). 

Yea, the 20k upfront is a bit costly. Also, the TA ship is not even close to enough. A 1000 in that area probably won't go far.

54 minutes ago, Bamboo Flute said:

I cannot afford a paid master program. I am now on the waitlist of SFU. Has anyone received any new emails from SFU?

I am also on the SFU waitlist. But, no news about the offer. 

Anyone know a whole lot about CSU LA and/or CSU Long Beach? The only concern I have about UNM at this point is that it is not in a location with a cluster of universities, although since it is an M.A. that is less of a concern. Still, it's obvious that there's a larger scholarly community in any coastal city. The Stony Brook program looks actually pretty good and the students I've emailed are very enthused about the program (and it really is unique), but UNM has reliable placement data and seems to be overall a safer bet. It's also a growing department with younger faculty, so I'd imagine the faculty have more of an actual reason to invest in current students than at more esteemed universities with several professors in their 70s and 80s.

Edited by you'll_never_get_to_heaven

18 minutes ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

Anyone know a whole lot about CSU LA and/or CSU Long Beach? The only concern I have about UNM at this point is that it is not in a location with a cluster of universities, although since it is an M.A. that is less of a concern. Still, it's obvious that there's a larger scholarly community in any coastal city. The Stony Brook program looks actually pretty good and the students I've emailed are very enthused about the program (and it really is unique), but UNM has reliable placement data and seems to be overall a safer bet. It's also a growing department with younger faculty, so I'd imagine the faculty have more of an actual reason to invest in current students than at more esteemed universities with several professors in their 70s and 80s.

I don't know about any CSU schools. But I'll say that if your only concern about UNM is that there aren't other universities around, then things are looking pretty good, especially because Albuquerque otherwise seems like a cool place to live. Stony Brook is also good, I don't think you have to worry about their placement relative to UNM's placement (anecdotal experience, please take it with a grain of salt).

So between those two schools? Follow the money. Follow the weather. You'll be too busy in a master's program to notice what other universities are doing anyway (a doctoral program is a little different, it helps to have other programs around, especially when it comes to external committee members).