Masters 2020 Thread

UndergradDad

2 hours ago, epistemicjustice said:

Have very mixed feelings right now. My top MA school has put out acceptances, haven't been rejected didn't hear from them so I assume I'm gonna be hit by that fat R soon enough. One of my very good friends got in, however, so I'm at least feeling good for her! 

Which school is that?

To the person who logged in an acceptance from New School (philosophy masters - cognitive science track) on the results page - did you find out the result in the Admissions Hub? I don't see anything there on my end... I'm not on the cog sci track though, didn't know there were different tracks lol. Quite nervous about the result. Congrats to you!

I have been waitlisted by Northern Illinois ("relatively high" on the list) and am waiting on Georgia State, Texas Tech, Colorado State, Houston, Ole Miss, LSU, and American. If anybody has any idea of when those schools might be sending out decisions (there seems to be a large Georgia State and Texas Tech presence here) please let me know!

30 minutes ago, ogngx said:

I have been waitlisted by Northern Illinois ("relatively high" on the list) and am waiting on Georgia State, Texas Tech, Colorado State, Houston, Ole Miss, LSU, and American. If anybody has any idea of when those schools might be sending out decisions (there seems to be a large Georgia State and Texas Tech presence here) please let me know!

I am like you on the waitlist of Northern Illinois (exactly "relatively high") and the waitlist of Simon Fraser. I have also applied for Georgia State and I think by the end of March they will inform us. 

Alright, so I was rejected placement in the PhD but offered admission into the M.A. programs at Stony Brook and University of New Mexico. Not sure what I'll do, as funding is murky at best. Both seem to be excellent programs. I am waiting to hear back from Georgia State, which would be fully-funded. This morning, I was admitted to the New School with a 50% merit scholarship - not bad. I don't know too much about the placement out of the New School and Stony Brook M.A.s, but I'd imagine that acceptance is very likely at a select few programs.

Hey heaven- New School has in the past not had a great reputation but I dont know if that has changed recently. As for Stonybrook and New Mexico, other than the cost, look at their MA placement into Phd programs by calling the schools and asking for recent placement details.

59 minutes ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

Alright, so I was rejected placement in the PhD but offered admission into the M.A. programs at Stony Brook and University of New Mexico. Not sure what I'll do, as funding is murky at best. Both seem to be excellent programs. I am waiting to hear back from Georgia State, which would be fully-funded. This morning, I was admitted to the New School with a 50% merit scholarship - not bad. I don't know too much about the placement out of the New School and Stony Brook M.A.s, but I'd imagine that acceptance is very likely at a select few programs.

I think you should consider an unfunded offer the same as a rejection. Don't pay for an MA in philosophy. Just don't. (Say you pay for an MA, and you get into a PhD after. Great, now you have debt, you have peers with fancy MAs that they did not pay for, and you'll feel bad about not having waited the extra year like they did to apply to funded MAs.)

Only go to The New School with a 100% scholarship and an independent source of income that is not loans. It would be a bummer to move to New York City, have three roommates, work outside of school, commute 45+ minutes to campus every day, and STILL HAVE DEBT.

3 hours ago, Olórin said:

I think you should consider an unfunded offer the same as a rejection. Don't pay for an MA in philosophy. Just don't. (Say you pay for an MA, and you get into a PhD after. Great, now you have debt, you have peers with fancy MAs that they did not pay for, and you'll feel bad about not having waited the extra year like they did to apply to funded MAs.)

Only go to The New School with a 100% scholarship and an independent source of income that is not loans. It would be a bummer to move to New York City, have three roommates, work outside of school, commute 45+ minutes to campus every day, and STILL HAVE DEBT.

Yeah, my recommenders said to press for more information and more funding. Luckily (although for unlucky reasons), I don't have any debt from my undergrad and I have a good credit score, but I'm still quite wary of anything other than full funding. UNM has very good placement from what I have seen. I'm working on my response letters at the moment, all of which emphasize how much I would like to attend, but cannot do so unless I can be fully assured that I will receive adequate funding. I think all of the schools I received offers from could definitely find some way to offer more funding. If you're sufficiently impressed by my application to offer me admission, then you should have adequate incentive to entice me to enroll. Stony Brook's MA program is very small and highly specialized, so I would find it odd that they wouldn't be able to offer any departmental funding. None of these offers seem like the much maligned and scammy MAPSS at U Chicago.

I know someone who did the MA program at UNM and had great things to say about it - she's now at Texas A&M. So, seconding that it's not a scam, though that doesn't mean it would be worth it to attend without full funding.

9 minutes ago, philosopuppy said:

I know someone who did the MA program at UNM and had great things to say about it - she's now at Texas A&M. So, seconding that it's not a scam, though that doesn't mean it would be worth it to attend without full funding.

It doesn't seem like they offer much funding at all for MAs. However, they offer "partial-assistantships." I T.A.'d a course as an undergrad and I worked as an office assistant (helped edit a published book, actually), so I have experience with that.

On 3/3/2020 at 2:03 PM, ogngx said:

I'm a graduate student at Texas Tech. They are still reviewing applications. If you have any questions about the program feel free to reach out to me.