Networking at Conferences

BnTAcT

Hello, 

I am attending a conference in April where I am a co-author on a presentation and a few PI's that I am planning to apply to work with in grad school are presenters at the conference. 

Is it appropriate to email them in advance and express interest and ask to speak with them during the conference or should I wait and try to speak to them at the conference?

Any advice is appreciated!!

38 minutes ago, itsannat said:

Hello, 

I am attending a conference in April where I am a co-author on a presentation and a few PI's that I am planning to apply to work with in grad school are presenters at the conference. 

Is it appropriate to email them in advance and express interest and ask to speak with them during the conference or should I wait and try to speak to them at the conference?

Any advice is appreciated!!

100% appropriate and a great idea in general! I went to the APA conference in 2019 without even presenting anything but I wanted to network. So I emailed professors I wanted to connect with in order to put my name on their radar for fall 2020 applications. They were all appreciative of my outreach and I think it’ll make you stand out as someone who is super motivated! 

4 minutes ago, ClinicalApplicant2019 said:

100% appropriate and a great idea in general! I went to the APA conference in 2019 without even presenting anything but I wanted to network. So I emailed professors I wanted to connect with in order to put my name on their radar for fall 2020 applications. They were all appreciative of my outreach and I think it’ll make you stand out as someone who is super motivated! 

Yes, do this @itsannat ^

Personally, I would just focus on speaking to them and their students at the conference. I always feel awkward emailing people I don’t know and especially if the poi doesn’t answer then I feel like I can’t talk to him or her 

1 hour ago, ClinicalApplicant2019 said:

I second this! Make sure to read some of their papers first, so you have something to refer to when you talk about why you are excited to speak with them about their current work. Outreach matters - if nothing else, your name will be familiar when you meet them, and it always helps to have a positive impression in place before you say hello!

• 2 weeks later...

I would personally wait till the conference to try to chat with any professors. 

Then after the conference is over, I would send out brief emails to the professors you met reminding them of who you are and thanking them for speaking with you at the conference. I think all of that should be enough to put your name on their radar before you apply.