NIH PREP 2020-2021 Applicants unite

MarxistHegelian

5 hours ago, haphapster said:

Hi Guys !

I have a interview tomorrow and wanted some last minute tips/advice. Also, those who already interviewed, how did the interviews go? What type of questions were asked? Any info would be great. 

Thanks!

Hi, 

Just be yourself. They are very inclined towards hiring you, but want to get to know the person behind the personal statement and the amazing qualities in the application. Expect questions such as "Why not a PhD now?","Strengths/Weaknesses", and the typical "Tell me about yourself." Always make sure to not make it all about your challenges, but on how they contributed to your goals and have been steps in your career. 

Best of luck!

On 4/28/2020 at 1:54 PM, davidoff05 said:

Just got accepted to Harvard PREP!

Congratulations! Do you know if  Harvard's admission process complete? I never received a rejection or invite. I just need to know if I can move on and accept other offers. One of my other top choices accepted me and I don't want to be hopelessly waiting. 

1 hour ago, haphapster said:

Congratulations! Do you know if  Harvard's admission process complete? I never received a rejection or invite. I just need to know if I can move on and accept other offers. One of my other top choices accepted me and I don't want to be hopelessly waiting. 

So, I do have the same question, but in my case I was already interviewed by them, but haven't officially received my rejection yet. You can always email the program with that question and they can give you a more official answer so that you can make an informed decision.

Hey thank you! about you question.. I am not sure if the admission process is complete or not. What I can tell you is that they gave me until May 8th to accept or reject my offer. So I am guessing they are waiting after this date to finalize everything and maybe send more interview requests/rejections out. But then again they might not... I would email the director of the program to be sure. 

Edited by davidoff05

Are any of you guys seeking a PREP program where you want to go to grad school or are you going to an different university? Ive already accepted UGA but I got an interview for UChicago, which is where I am considering going to grad school. Not sure what I should do.....

1 hour ago, GolgiGirl_ said:

Just heard back from Albert Einstein and they said that their admissions are delayed due to covid and will get back by May 31....I also got an interview for UChicago, @MarxistHegelian, I know you're going there, do you know when their program starts?

Congratulations on getting UChicago interview! Did you recently apply to UChicago? or has it been a while? 

Just now, ChemistryKid said:

Congratulations on getting UChicago interview! Did you recently apply to UChicago? or has it been a while? 

I applied back in March, Im surprised they emailed back because Im pretty sure all my letters weren't sent to them because everything was shutting down and chaotic because of covid. 

On 5/8/2020 at 12:12 PM, GolgiGirl_ said:

Just heard back from Albert Einstein and they said that their admissions are delayed due to covid and will get back by May 31....I also got an interview for UChicago, @MarxistHegelian, I know you're going there, do you know when their program starts?

Wohoo! Congrats. Honestly, if you look at their alumni page, quite a lot of people decide to stay. They connected me with someone currently in the program, and they said that although applying to grad-school there is not a requirement, quite a lot of people decide to stay. Let me know when you interview is, I can pass you some wisdom on the questions they asked me and the answers I gave. 

As of last week, they still had more than 1 spot in the program. Channeling the universe's energy so you get an offer. 

They will start August 3rd along with most PREPs. Apparently most programs jointly decided on that as a start date. If COVID stay-at-home orders are extended, they promised me to initiate 50% online so you can get the payroll + insurance. 

Hello!

Does anyone's program provide relocation assistance? or are we just expected to find housing and relocate before the program starts on our own?

Side Note : If anyone is relocating to Boston/Cambridge Area and needs a roommate let's chat!

My program awarded me a one time relocation  allowance. However, it is up to me to find and secure housing before the program starts. 

4 hours ago, davidoff05 said:

My program awarded me a one time relocation  allowance. However, it is up to me to find and secure housing before the program starts. 

Are you also going to the Harvard RSI PREP? Do you know if we are allow to live on-campus or do we have to find housing off campus?

14 minutes ago, mrverpr said:

Are you also going to the Harvard RSI PREP? Do you know if we are allow to live on-campus or do we have to find housing off campus?

Yea I am! So I am not sure if we are allowed to live on campus. But during my interview I remember them telling me that scholars usually find housing off campus. 

Nothing new to report. My list was finalized a couple of weeks ago. Just wanted to remind you of how cool you all are for staying strong all the way through May. Aside from having a freaking pandemic out there, you are still getting interviews and holding it together. I will be sending some angry letters to the NIH grant people to demand schools to have the same due dates for their interview rounds. It's very unfair that we have been waiting since December (and even earlier) for programs that have summer start dates. Is it just me, or we all have a life to run and commitments to fulfill aside from waiting for an interview? 

Congrats if you have committed to a program. If you are still waiting, don't worry, at this rate they will be making offers through June ?

2 hours ago, GolgiGirl_ said:

I got into UChicago!!

Congrats! As an undergrad who is going to graduate from there next month, you're gonna love it there! (If you choose to go)

Edited by gummybears
more words