NIH PREP 2020-2021 Applicants unite

MarxistHegelian

To anyone who applied to Yale-Prep and still waiting for an answer, I will be speaking with Dr. Streete today. So, if you have any questions that you would like to ask him, I can ask him for you, and maybe get some answers to this never ending doom. FYI, this is not an interview, it is just an informal call. 

Edited by Becca12

34 minutes ago, Becca12 said:

To anyone who applied to Yale-Prep and still waiting for an answer, I will be speaking with Dr. Streete today. So, if you have any questions that you would like to ask him, I can ask him for you, and maybe get some answers to this never ending doom. FYI, this is not an interview, it is just an informal call. 

Thank you for doing this. Do you mind asking if they've made decisions for both BBS PREP and ESI PREP? 

I just finished speaking with Dr. Streete, and he said he actually finished reading every application today. The top 20 students application will be sent to the professors of interest sometimes this weekend, and final decisions will be sent next week. I do not know how many students will be given an interview invitation, but this is what he told me. So, to those who applied to Yale-Prep, good luck and don't think there is something inherently wrong with your application, or that it wasn't looked at because it was. We just accept what is and what isn't. Once again, good luck. 

On 4/17/2020 at 4:04 PM, Becca12 said:

I just finished speaking with Dr. Streete, and he said he actually finished reading every application today. The top 20 students application will be sent to the professors of interest sometimes this weekend, and final decisions will be sent next week. I do not know how many students will be given an interview invitation, but this is what he told me. So, to those who applied to Yale-Prep, good luck and don't think there is something inherently wrong with your application, or that it wasn't looked at because it was. We just accept what is and what isn't. Once again, good luck. 

Hi Becca!

So the top 20 student applications consisted of both ESI and BBS PREP applicants?  

Has anybody else's program been delayed? Virginia Tech was delayed to Fall 2020 and I have no idea how they will be able to prep us for the Fall 2021 PhD application process in time. 

On 4/17/2020 at 4:04 PM, Becca12 said:

Thank you so much for doing this! I made an account just to comment here because I've been going crazy!

If they're doing final decisions this week, does that mean they're not doing an interview process? & has anyone heard back yet? I still haven't heard a peep and it's driving me crazy! With all the uncertainty going on right now this is one thing I wish I just had an answer about, either way haha

7 hours ago, IRequireInformation said:

Thank you so much for doing this! I made an account just to comment here because I've been going crazy!

If they're doing final decisions this week, does that mean they're not doing an interview process? & has anyone heard back yet? I still haven't heard a peep and it's driving me crazy! With all the uncertainty going on right now this is one thing I wish I just had an answer about, either way haha

I understand how you feel. When I spoke with him, he did say all the decisions are already finalized. All that's left to do is send out updates but I have not heard anything. I had already prepared myself for disappointment this week, but it seems it may drag itself till next week. 

2 hours ago, Becca12 said:

I understand how you feel. When I spoke with him, he did say all the decisions are already finalized. All that's left to do is send out updates but I have not heard anything. I had already prepared myself for disappointment this week, but it seems it may drag itself till next week. 

I only applied to Yale ESI and one other program, and I heard from the other program at 6PM the night before their decision date. So you never know- they could be waiting until end of day to finalize and send out notifications. I really would prefer that this doesn't go into next week as well. Good luck to everyone who applied!

On 4/21/2020 at 5:36 PM, gummybears said:

Has anybody else's program been delayed? Virginia Tech was delayed to Fall 2020 and I have no idea how they will be able to prep us for the Fall 2021 PhD application process in time. 

My program seems to be moving forward. Im sorry to hear that, I always worry that will happen to me one of these days. 

6 hours ago, GolgiGirl_ said:

My program seems to be moving forward. Im sorry to hear that, I always worry that will happen to me one of these days. 

Interesting, will your program be online? Virginia Tech's program was supposed to start June 15th, then got pushed to July 15th, then got pushed to the vague date of "Fall 2020" after they extended the application deadline. Coronavirus sucks :(

2 hours ago, IRequireInformation said:

Anyone else hear anything? Still radio silent for me ?

I have not heard anything also. At this point, although they just released interview request, I will assume that I did nit get in. Bit pessimistic of me, but that's what happens when you read Dostoevsky and also waiting for a potentially life changing decision. 

10 minutes ago, Becca12 said:

I have not heard anything also. At this point, although they just released interview request, I will assume that I did nit get in. Bit pessimistic of me, but that's what happens when you read Dostoevsky and also waiting for a potentially life changing decision. 

He was known to develop the idea of justification of suffering (not in a good way thou). So think about it as a long term investment in growth. It is fair to email programs to ask for constructive feedback. A rejection could mean two things: 1) You are ready for a PhD program, and therefore in no need for help from PREP.  2) You application failed to demonstrate how you can benefit from PREP.  Both paths led to rejection, and both could be unclear unless you request feedback. 

Edited by MarxistHegelian

16 minutes ago, MarxistHegelian said:

He was known to develop the idea of justification of suffering (not in a good way thou). So think about it as a long term investment in growth. It is fair to email programs to ask for constructive feedback. A rejection could mean two things: 1) You are ready for a PhD program, and therefore in no need for help from PREP.  2) You application failed to demonstrate how you can benefit from PREP.  Both paths led to rejection, and both could be unclear unless you request feedback. 

Thanks for the encouragement. I am considering that, because if this doesn't work out, I will be applying for the next cycle. Just as Nietzsche said, "what does not kill you makes you stronger."

On 4/24/2020 at 4:18 PM, gummybears said:

Interesting, will your program be online? Virginia Tech's program was supposed to start June 15th, then got pushed to July 15th, then got pushed to the vague date of "Fall 2020" after they extended the application deadline. Coronavirus sucks :(

Not that I am aware of. My program is in Georgia and I know they are opening things up over there prematurely because of their ignorant governor...  so I really hope that wont make things spike up again.

2 hours ago, haphapster said:

Hi Guys !

I have a interview tomorrow and wanted some last minute tips/advice. Also, those who already interviewed, how did the interviews go? What type of questions were asked? Any info would be great. 

Thanks!

Hey :) 

I found this forum really late! I interviewed for the University of Michigan last week. They mostly asked me about my previous research experience. They also asked the typical “why is our program a good fit with your research interest?” The interview consisted of questions from all three program directors and current prep students. I think the best advice I can give is just find a way to translate interest/ research to all STEM disciplines. I am neuroscience based researcher and the directors of the programs had chemistry and  biology backgrounds. I had to break down my neuroscience project down completely for them to see that I knew my project inside and out.