NIH PREP 2020-2021 Applicants unite

MarxistHegelian

On 5/12/2020 at 6:16 PM, jahnevelus said:

I accepted an offer from the University of South Carolina. Anybody else going ?

I applied and never heard back, but I have a friend who got in too. I'm sure you'll get to meet her she's great!

Hey everyone. I just found this forum and was hoping for some advice. I got into a program but now doing some thinking - I don't think I want to pursue a PhD anymore. I feel so stupid because I spent so much energy getting into a PREP but I don’t really have a good reason to get a PhD, and everyone (including the internet) is telling me its not worth it to just do it for no reason. PREP makes you apply to PhD programs but it feels wrong to back out this great opportunity. For any of you guys wondering, I think I just want a masters instead and just work an industry job. 

Does anyone have an advice? Was there any previous PREP people who decided a PhD wasnt for them? How did the program react? 

Thanks

8 minutes ago, bosephif said:

Hey everyone. I just found this forum and was hoping for some advice. I got into a program but now doing some thinking - I don't think I want to pursue a PhD anymore. I feel so stupid because I spent so much energy getting into a PREP but I don’t really have a good reason to get a PhD, and everyone (including the internet) is telling me its not worth it to just do it for no reason. PREP makes you apply to PhD programs but it feels wrong to back out this great opportunity. For any of you guys wondering, I think I just want a masters instead and just work an industry job. 

Does anyone have an advice? Was there any previous PREP people who decided a PhD wasnt for them? How did the program react? 

Thanks

Tough situation. Maybe just give it a try and see if you have a different outlook on it? Not sure what the consequences would be if you go with the program, apply to grad programs and then just rejected them all or drop out of them at the end.. 

On 5/28/2020 at 5:55 PM, bosephif said:

Thanks

A friend of mine was in a situation where he finished the PREP, did not get into a PhD program and ended up applying to a fully funded Master's program. You'll be fine.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...