NIH PREP 2020-2021 Applicants unite

MarxistHegelian

Nobody has heard from Hopkins? Thought they were sending off their interview offers last week. Tempted to cross them off my list ?

Congratulations to everybody who has heard back from someone. COVID-19 has taken the world by surprise, so don't over-stress if programs delay their admission process. I have a friend that received 3 emails from PhD admissions asking for longer waiting periods due to telecommuting. Is much harder to rally the whole committees when everybody is getting sick and self-isolating. 

Stay healthy... and strong! 

Hi All.

I have accepted a position at the NIAID at NIH and I will be doing my post-baccalaureate research position at the Vaccine Research Center. I wish you all the best during this process and I hope you all stay safe during this times. 

As for Hopkins I actually called the director of Hopkins PREP directly because I was running out of time before my offer from NIH expires. I was advised directly from the director to accept the offer from NIH and told me that I was not on the list of applicants being considered for their PREP and states that this is partly due to me wanting to do MD/PhD and since PREP is focus on PhD I was not able to make it to the list. I trust the director so much and so I decided to accept the NIH offer. To give you an insight as well, they received about 200 applicants and they are only accepting 6-7 PREP. Anyways if you have any questions please let me know. PM me anytime. 

Goodluck everyone and I hope you all are well and safe. 

2 hours ago, MarxistHegelian said:

Nobody has heard from Hopkins? Thought they were sending off their interview offers last week. Tempted to cross them off my list ?

Congratulations to everybody who has heard back from someone. COVID-19 has taken the world by surprise, so don't over-stress if programs delay their admission process. I have a friend that received 3 emails from PhD admissions asking for longer waiting periods due to telecommuting. Is much harder to rally the whole committees when everybody is getting sick and self-isolating. 

Stay healthy... and strong! 

I think interviews should go out on the 20th (so tomorrow). Thats what it said on the confirmation email.

2 hours ago, GolgiGirl_ said:

Is anyone terrified that their program will get cancelled due to covid-19?

I don't think they would cancel probably just delay. For example, BU PREP sent an email out saying that students would be starting Aug 1st instead of June 1st (which is the normal start date for this program). 

14 hours ago, NYNeurosci24 said:

I don't think they would cancel probably just delay. For example, BU PREP sent an email out saying that students would be starting Aug 1st instead of June 1st (which is the normal start date for this program). 

Still, two months less to prepare for admissions! I'm hoping graduate programs will be real nice next cycle, and lower their expectations. There is a whole generation of seniors and postgraduates that will not be getting the same opportunities than previous cohorts. 

23 hours ago, GolgiGirl_ said:

I think interviews should go out on the 20th (so tomorrow). Thats what it said on the confirmation email.

To quell anyone's anxiety and/or aid anyone in making the proper arrangements, Hopkins PREP made their offers in the second week of March. 

3 minutes ago, ThisUserNameIsAlreadyTaken said:

Mt Sinai just sent an update for interviews to be sent out soon!

Yeah, I got the update. Do you think everybody who applied got it or just potential candidates? Because it does say we will be contacted about interviews.

4 hours ago, ThisUserNameIsAlreadyTaken said:

Mt Sinai just sent an update for interviews to be sent out soon!

How did you find out? Did they send an email? I applied to Mount Sinai but didn't get an update. Did everyone else who applied to MS get the update aswell? 

On 3/20/2020 at 1:03 PM, MarxistHegelian said:

Still, two months less to prepare for admissions! I'm hoping graduate programs will be real nice next cycle, and lower their expectations. There is a whole generation of seniors and postgraduates that will not be getting the same opportunities than previous cohorts. 

This is a very important point for PREP. Unless you have a really cool PI, they will not be able to write a strong letter of recommendation. This is one of the biggest limitations of PREP imo. 3 months to impress a PI. Try to pick a good mentor (there are a lot of indicators) and get started in a lab asap. But don't rush, really make sure you pick a PI that's a good fit...

2 minutes ago, GolgiGirl_ said:

had an interview with them last week.

Same here. Do you have an idea when final decisions will be made? I know interviews are done tomorrow. 

Edited by cofee

14 hours ago, cofee said:

Same here. Do you have an idea when final decisions will be made? I know interviews are done tomorrow. 

Ohh got it, i misunderstood the question.. ill let you know if i get anything.

10 minutes ago, Eva91 said:

Hey everyone !! I am very happy to find this thread. Is anyone heard from Harvard ? I email them a while back ( when carona just started) and they said nothing will get postponed, i was wondering if it still the case. Did anyone had an interview ?  or heard anything? 

Hi! Welcome to the thread! I also applied to Harvard RSI and have not heard anything from them either :(