NIH PREP 2020-2021 Applicants unite

MarxistHegelian

It’s that time of year! 

This is you go-to anxiety soothing/provoking place to share the programs you have applied to, ask questions regarding PREP admissions, and other postbac-related info. 

***Please no stats. You are all wonderful individuals regardless of your numbers***

I (stress) applied to 10 PREP programs: Mayo, Northwestern, UChicago, UCDavis, UMayland STAR, John Hopkins, Yale, University of Iowa, MIT-BCS, UPenn. 

I will keep you updated when I hear from any of them!

Just wanted to pass along encouragement to the next round of PREP students! As a current PREP and someone with grad acceptances this season, I'm a testament to how good a PREP program can be for you. I'm of course willing to answer any questions or give advice, feel free to reach out! 

(Applied to Genetics and Toxicology Ph.D programs, interest in Reproductive Biology and Environmental Medicine)

19 hours ago, Madistrong said:

Just wanted to pass along encouragement to the next round of PREP students! As a current PREP and someone with grad acceptances this season, I'm a testament to how good a PREP program can be for you. I'm of course willing to answer any questions or give advice, feel free to reach out! 

(Applied to Genetics and Toxicology Ph.D programs, interest in Reproductive Biology and Environmental Medicine)

I second this. Good luck to everyone going through the PREP journey this coming year.

If you have questions/concerns, shoot me a message. I am currently finishing up my PREP at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

Current PREP student, not going to disclose the university I'm at. I ended up having a really bad experience and actually had less interviews than before particapting in PREP. Yep. You can message me if you'd like to know more. I'm sure other PREPs don't have this problem. Lots of PREP students here end up staying at this institution probably because they couldn't get into other places...

1 hour ago, trollsloot said:

Current PREP student, not going to disclose the university I'm at. I ended up having a really bad experience and actually had less interviews than before particapting in PREP. Yep. You can message me if you'd like to know more. I'm sure other PREPs don't have this problem. Lots of PREP students here end up staying at this institution probably because they couldn't get into other places...

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. In my view, PREP programs seem a little too rushed. To my understanding, you spend maybe 4-5 months in a lab, and automatically start sending out grad-school applications. My GPA is not stellar, and I have some research exp. Do you think that PREP programs are good to show grad admissions that you can take challenging classes while working on a project full-time? 

On 3/4/2020 at 8:03 PM, MarxistHegelian said:

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. In my view, PREP programs seem a little too rushed. To my understanding, you spend maybe 4-5 months in a lab, and automatically start sending out grad-school applications. My GPA is not stellar, and I have some research exp. Do you think that PREP programs are good to show grad admissions that you can take challenging classes while working on a project full-time? 

It really depends on the program. I and someone else in my cohort are spending two years in my program. Fortunately, everyone else in the cohort has gotten into a PhD program! I think that PREP programs can be good for showing you can simultaneously handle the rigors of research and graduate level coursework, but make sure that you manage your time wisely. Generally, the emphases of PREP programs are the research experiences. 

Edited by dejosco

Hi friends. Current applicant here. 

I applied to NIH IRTA, Hopkins, Case, Mount Sinai, Einstein, UPenn, and Harvard. 

Interviewed and offered at NIH IRTA but haven't accepted since I am still waiting for the other programs. 

Anyways, looking forward to talking with you all. 

?

Edited by Aloha808

19 hours ago, dejosco said:

It really depends on the program. I and someone else in my cohort are spending two years in my program. Fortunately, everyone else in the cohort has gotten into a PhD program! I think that PREP programs can be good for showing you can simultaneously handle the rigors of research and graduate level coursework, but make sure that you manage your time wisely. Generally, the emphases of PREP programs are the research experiences. 

Been reading all your posts from last year! If the timeline is similar this year, I hope to hear back from more programs by the end of this week. Do you know if Hopkins started their process? 

18 hours ago, MarxistHegelian said:

Been reading all your posts from last year! If the timeline is similar this year, I hope to hear back from more programs by the end of this week. Do you know if Hopkins started their process? 

I’m hoping the same for you! Yes, they have.

Some updates:  

Interviews: Northwestern, UCDavis, UChicago.

Offered a spot: Northwestern and UChicago. (waiting on the other programs to decide)

Still waiting to hear back from: Mayo, UMayland STAR, John Hopkins, Yale, University of Iowa, MIT-BCS, UPenn. 

Edited by MarxistHegelian

2 hours ago, MarxistHegelian said:

Some updates:  

Offered a spot: Northwestern and UChicago. (waiting on the other programs to decide)

Still waiting to hear back from: Mayo, UMayland STAR, John Hopkins, Yale, University of Iowa, MIT-BCS, UPenn. 

Congrats. Just so you know, UChicago doesn't encourage a two-year PREP if that's relevant to you.

1 hour ago, mediumtwotopping said:

Congrats. Just so you know, UChicago doesn't encourage a two-year PREP if that's relevant to you.

Thank you so much for keeping an eye on us! I would prefer a 2-year program over a 1-year experience. I am holding on to the spot until I hear back from someone else, I can maybe get a lab-tech position to fill the second year. I hope to hear back from other people to know when schools begin sending out interview offers.

Ive applied to John Hopkins, UGA, UMASS Medical, University of Maryland, UPenn, Albert Einstein, Ichan School of Medicine at Mount Sinai... I plan to apply to some more later when my finals are over.

I just got an email for UGA asking for an interview, woo hoo!!

6 hours ago, MarxistHegelian said:

Some updates:  

UChicago? the deadline is still a month away. Do they pick people before then?

1 hour ago, GolgiGirl_ said:

UChicago? the deadline is still a month away. Do they pick people before then?

Yeah. They have rolling admissions until the end of the month. Te earlier the better :)

5 hours ago, MarxistHegelian said:

Thank you so much for keeping an eye on us! I would prefer a 2-year program over a 1-year experience. I am holding on to the spot until I hear back from someone else, I can maybe get a lab-tech position to fill the second year. I hope to hear back from other people to know when schools begin sending out interview offers.

Of course, you're welcome. From your school list, I personally know people from Hopkins, Yale, UChicago, Northwestern and UPenn PREP if you want to get connected to them.

12 hours ago, renj22 said:

Any tips for the interviews? What types of questions should we expect? 

I've been asked about my research. How do I see PREP fitting in my academic goals. Experiences that demonstrated resilience. And then more personal questions about my CV. 

I'd recommend that you do your research of the program, and avoid asking question of stuff they explicitly state in their web-page. Make sure you find a quiet place, with little to no distractions. No need to dress fancy or sound fake. Be yourself and let your personality shine through! 

Hi Friends. 

Just wanted to share something. I did me some undercover moment. 

So I applied to NIH IRTA, Hopkins, Case, Sinai, UPenn, Einstein, and Harvard

Since I have an offer standing I wanted to know from other NIH PREP programs when they will notify applicants, so:

I called Hopkins first. I was told by a person on the line that the final committee is meeting tomorrow to evaluate who to extend the invitation for the next round of admission to PREP,  which is the interview. In addition, the person on the line also told me that perhaps around Thursday is when the first wave or maybe all invitations for interview will be sent. 

As for Case, I tried calling to ask updates on PREP. I was told by a person on the line that they are busy trying to manage admissions at the moment since they are also still doing PhD recruitment and also cause of the coronavirus issue. I was told though that they have started looking at applications but interview invitations are yet TBD and that invitations may go out end of march early April. IDK if these are legit but that is what the person told me when I called.

For Sinai, I tried calling as well to ask when applicants will be notified progress and the guy was a bit unsure but he said since interviews are held on April, invitations should go out sometime next week or the next 2-3 weeks.

For UPenn, I was told they are behind because they are doing many things at the same time like summer programs, PhD recruitment, and PREP, so it is taking a while to review applicants. The person on the line told me though that invitations/admission (IDK if they do interview)  should go out in the next 2-3 weeks.

For Einstein. Due to the coronavirus issue the admission committee for PREP are having some issues scheduling time to meet and so review is pushed back to mid April. NOTE: Einstein DO NOT DO INTERVIEWS

Lastly, Harvard. Harvard is a little hard to get info for because they kind of don't have a direct line for PREP to ask questions. I was told to contact them by email:  minrec@fas.harvard.edu . I didn't email them of course, but if you guys want. I attached the email. However, on their RSI site it says that decisions are made March/April. I'm not sure if that is official admission or invitation only.

NOTE THAT THESE INFORMATION ARE FROM EITHER THEIR CONTACT PERSON OR THEIR RECEPTIONIST. THESE INFORMATION DID NOT COME DIRECTLY FROM ANY OF THE DIRECTORS AND MEMBERS OF THE ADMISSION COMMITTEE FOR EACH PREP INSTITUTION. SO THERE IS A CHANCE THAT THESE MIGHT NOT BE TRUE OR PERHAPS THEY ARE. 

Hope this help y'all. Lets hope for the best. I really hope they will let us know soon!

Edited by O'ahu

9 minutes ago, O'ahu said:

Hi Friends. 

Just wanted to share something. I did me some undercover moment. 

So I applied to NIH IRTA, Hopkins, Case, Sinai, UPenn, Einstein, and Harvard

Since I have an offer standing I wanted to know from other NIH PREP programs when they will notify student, so:

I called Hopkins first. I was told by one of the program coordinator that the final committee is meeting tomorrow to evaluate who to extend the invitation for the next round of admission to PREP,  which is the interview. In addition, the program coordinator also told me that perhaps around Thursday is when the first wave or maybe all invitations for interview will be sent. 

As for Case, I tried calling to ask updates on PREP. I was told by a person on the line that they are busy trying to manage admissions at the moment since they are also still doing PhD recruitment and also cause of the coronavirus issue. I was told though that they have started looking at applications but interview invitations are yet TBD and that invitations may go out end of march early April. IDK if these are legit but that is what the person told me when I called.

For Sinai, I tried calling as well to ask when applicants will be notified progress and the guy was a bit unsure but he said since interviews are held on April, invitations should go out sometime next week or the next 2-3 weeks.

For UPenn, I was told they are behind because they are doing many things at the same time like summer programs, PhD recruitment, and PREP, so it is taking a while to review applicants. The person on the line told me though that invitations/admission (IDK if they do interview)  should go out in the next 2-3 weeks.

For Einstein. Due to the coronavirus issue the admission committee for PREP are having some issues scheduling time to meet and so review is pushed back to mid April. NOTE: Einstein DO NOT DO INTERVIEWS

Lastly, Harvard. Harvard is a little hard to get info for because they kind of don't have a direct line for PREP to ask questions. I was told to contact them by email:  minrec@fas.harvard.edu . I didn't email them of course, but if you guys want. I attached the email. However, on their RSI site it says that decisions are made March/April. I'm not sure if that is official admission or invitation only.

Hope this help y'all. Lets hope for the best. I really hope they will let us know soon!

Talking to you must be a charm, because I've been trying to get this info unsuccessfully haha. 

If the timeline is similar to last years, Harvard won't get their admission resolved until late March to mid April. 

I also imagine that the issue with coronavirus will definitively put a strain on committee decision-making capabilities. 

2 minutes ago, MarxistHegelian said:

Talking to you must be a charm, because I've been trying to get this info unsuccessfully haha. 

If the timeline is similar to last years, Harvard won't get their admission resolved until late March to mid April. 

I also imagine that the issue with coronavirus will definitively put a strain on committee decision-making capabilities. 

Yes the coronavirus is definitely a concern, especially for Mount Sinai since they do in person interview. And Harvard is a tough one cause they only reserve 3-4 life science RSI.